Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Should a prescription be required for CPAP?
This poll is closed.
No
42.67%
32 42.67%
Yes
57.33%
43 57.33%
Total 75 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Should a prescription be required for CPAP?
RE: Should a prescription be required for CPAP?
I couldn't have said it better than jgjones1972 and SuperSleeper.
I don't think you should have to have a prescription for CPAP machines.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-16-2013, 01:07 PM)Shastzi Wrote: The machine can be closely regulated and not require a prescription.

Just like booze and smokes.
But then there'd be no incentive for a doc to write a prescription, and if so then I'd probably be forced to actually pay for it making it an impossibility.
Post Reply Post Reply
This Poll has a lot of legitimate facets to it. I don't want to argue, only want to understand both sides so please don't take my questions the wrong way as it may help a lot of us to see the whole issue better from the different point of views. I too am troubled about over regulation of MANY things that go well beyond this topic, but staying on topic I have a few questions. If we didn't need a prescription for our PAP devices, accessories, medications, etc., how would that work for low income people? I am at the point where we make to much for assistance and not enough to cover all of the medical bills that have added up significantly over the last few years or so. We were forced to sell many personal items just to keep up with co-pays and add a little extra income to our household so my wife isn't carrying the whole load, that can only last so long. If we didn't need a prescription how could someone in our situation avoid paying full price "out of pocket"? Our insurance cost is approx. 3000.00-4000.00 a year as we have minimal life insurance and dental. Looking forward to some answers!
Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2013, 08:31 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote: According to an FDA report looking at the years 1990 to 2001 - 26,000 people were hospitalized and an average of 458 deaths were caused each year from acetaminophen overdoses. Issues leading to these overdoses included taking more than the recommended amount of a medicine containing acetaminophen and taking recommended doses of multiple medicines containing acetaminophen at once.

Other sources cite an FDA study showing acetaminophen abuse as a leading cause of liver disease and failure.

Unless there is more data in this report, a lot of those deaths are probably from abuse of the prescription drugs like Vicodin that contain hydrocodone and acetaminophen. Our scumbag government requires the manufacturers to mix acetaminophen with some prescription painkillers in order to poison people who abuse the drugs. Better dead than high.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not saying that insurance or medical aid programs shouldn't pay or contribute, I just don't understand why a prescription is necessary for everyone. It could be more like a doctor referral, or the doctor could make a statement of medical necessity in order for the insurance/program to pay/contribute. If prescriptions facilitate this, then fine; but don't require a prescription for someone to buy out of pocket. It could be like ibuprofen. The first time my doc wrote me a scrip for ibuprofen I looked at him like he was crazy. I asked him why in the world he would write a scrip for something I can buy OTC - he told me it was so the insurance would pay for it. So the insurance would pay for it with a scrip, but it was still available OTC for anybody to buy with their own money.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2013, 11:03 PM)archangle Wrote:
(01-17-2013, 08:31 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote: According to an FDA report looking at the years 1990 to 2001 - 26,000 people were hospitalized and an average of 458 deaths were caused each year from acetaminophen overdoses. Issues leading to these overdoses included taking more than the recommended amount of a medicine containing acetaminophen and taking recommended doses of multiple medicines containing acetaminophen at once.

Other sources cite an FDA study showing acetaminophen abuse as a leading cause of liver disease and failure.

Unless there is more data in this report, a lot of those deaths are probably from abuse of the prescription drugs like Vicodin that contain hydrocodone and acetaminophen. Our scumbag government requires the manufacturers to mix acetaminophen with some prescription painkillers in order to poison people who abuse the drugs. Better dead than high.
I'm not sure why the acetaminophen is mixed with so many narcotics even from the low dose to high dose, but I certainly agree that if we had more data from that report it would most likely show the percentage of acetaminophen overdoses from narcotic abuse/use rather than over the counter acetaminophen purchases! Our local Police Blotter can testify to that, (sorry if off topic!).
Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2013, 11:23 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote: I'm not saying that insurance or medical aid programs shouldn't pay or contribute, I just don't understand why a prescription is necessary for everyone. It could be more like a doctor referral, or the doctor could make a statement of medical necessity in order for the insurance/program to pay/contribute. If prescriptions facilitate this, then fine; but don't require a prescription for someone to buy out of pocket. It could be like ibuprofen. The first time my doc wrote me a scrip for ibuprofen I looked at him like he was crazy. I asked him why in the world he would write a scrip for something I can buy OTC - he told me it was so the insurance would pay for it. So the insurance would pay for it with a scrip, but it was still available OTC for anybody to buy with their own money.
That used to work here in NY but now most of them are denied. One exception I found was for the ibuprofen 800mg. They will allow that with prescrption.
Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes archangle. The way the FDA worded the results (i.e. "medicine containing acetaminophen") seems to indicate that could be the case.

To kind of shore up the point though, there are a surprising number of suicides committed every year using OTC drugs and plain old acetaminophen is one of drugs sometimes used. I've never heard of anyone committing suicide by using a PAP - only by NOT using it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2013, 11:44 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote: To kind of shore up the point though, there are a surprising number of suicides committed every year using OTC drugs and plain old acetaminophen is one of drugs sometimes used.

That's a really, really, bad way to attempt suicide. Painful, and likely to leave you alive, but really, really sick.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was taking Celebrex for joint pain as directed.
After a short while my heart started going into arrithymia. Not fun!

Oh, if you read the fine print, it seems death is a side effect!

I think CPAP machines are a lot safer! How many deaths from using CPAPs to date?
I think more people die each year by slipping and falling in the tub....
Maybe purchase of bathtubs should require a prescription!

Radical New Concept!

Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 53 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 119 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  [CPAP] Advice required regarding data Mjfbeeslaar 4 384 12-28-2023, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Prescription settings AfibApnea 12 792 11-21-2023, 09:08 PM
Last Post: AfibApnea
  [CPAP] Question about cpap/bipap prescription UARS tugboatxd 9 982 11-09-2023, 02:00 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42
  [CPAP] Preparing for first night with CPAP (help required) applebee 2 431 10-28-2023, 11:20 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
Question [Diagnosis] Sleep test Required/Mandatory ??? dalabera 9 762 10-26-2023, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.