Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Should a prescription be required for CPAP?
This poll is closed.
No
42.67%
32 42.67%
Yes
57.33%
43 57.33%
Total 75 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Should a prescription be required for CPAP?
Should a prescription be required for CPAP?
Please vote and make a comment if you wish one way or another

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Should a prescription be required for CPAP?
(03-13-2012, 02:45 PM)zonk Wrote: Please vote and make a comment if you wish one way or another

i already know i'm in the minority in this group and i'll probably get beat up but of course one should be required with this all or none question. i will agree there should be a way of identifying apnea patients so we don't have to go to the doctor for a new machine and mask and stuff, but first time buyer, no way whatsoever. i will never be convinced that a guy can get drunk, think he has apnea and go buy a cpap over the counter. every hypochondriac in the country would be buying one and scum of the earth merchants would be selling them everything under the sun to put in the humidifier water.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2012, 02:45 PM)zonk Wrote: Please vote and make a comment if you wish one way or another

Of course a prescription should be required to buy a CPAP! It is a medical device meant to treat a specific set of disorders, and CPAP does have some cautions and contraindications.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I guess we're the 3 "yes" votes, but the "no" people re staying pretty quiet. Smile

Absolutely should need a prescription to purchase a CPAP, but I do think it's pretty silly that yesterday the pharmacy had to call my doctor before they would sell me a chin strap...
Post Reply Post Reply
Rx should be required especially if we want the insurance companies to pick up at least part of the tab. That being said, I don't think a script should be required for mask parts, new masks, filters, hoses etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2012, 08:21 PM)mummerse Wrote: Rx should be required especially if we want the insurance companies to pick up at least part of the tab. That being said, I don't think a script should be required for mask parts, new masks, filters, hoses etc.

I agree with this poster. A prescription should be required for initial testing and setup. However, the on-going supplies should not need prescription.

TheDuke
Post Reply Post Reply
The question is too wide. For the machine, most definitely yes, for an initial purchase of a mask, yes. Subsequent parts or supplies, after the initial purchase with a supplier, only if the insurance company requires it ((but they had better pay for the medical as well). The companies need protection from lawsuits and often the only convenient way is to have a valid perscription, meaning the customer has been advised on the correct use of the device. Too often equipment is not used for its proper intended use. I am sure anyone who was at least slightly aquainted with the 60's could think of a few not so intended uses for masks and tubing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Believe that once you are a member of the club that should be it, maybe we could have a register like the disabled register then we wouldnt have to keep getting perscrip.

Or maybe something like a blue card but we still need something or there will be self diagnoses all over the place.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree that there should be at least an initial prescription. One thing I *don't* think should be part of it, is a restriction on CPAP vs APAP - and issue I had. I had weeks of data from a loaner APAP machine that APAP was more effective for me then CPAP... yet my 2 hour, fitful sleep during my titration study didn't "qualify" me for one. I had to argue for it, and in the end, buy it outright because my Dr. wouldn't submit that I needed one.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-14-2012, 09:54 AM)CHanlon Wrote: I agree that there should be at least an initial prescription. One thing I *don't* think should be part of it, is a restriction on CPAP vs APAP - and issue I had. I had weeks of data from a loaner APAP machine that APAP was more effective for me then CPAP... yet my 2 hour, fitful sleep during my titration study didn't "qualify" me for one. I had to argue for it, and in the end, buy it outright because my Dr. wouldn't submit that I needed one.

In the UK we have the choice, I ask for an APAP as I thought it felt better so I swapped over but I believe in the states this is not possible as it depends on a person called a DME?

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 53 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 119 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  [CPAP] Advice required regarding data Mjfbeeslaar 4 384 12-28-2023, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Prescription settings AfibApnea 12 792 11-21-2023, 09:08 PM
Last Post: AfibApnea
  [CPAP] Question about cpap/bipap prescription UARS tugboatxd 9 982 11-09-2023, 02:00 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42
  [CPAP] Preparing for first night with CPAP (help required) applebee 2 431 10-28-2023, 11:20 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
Question [Diagnosis] Sleep test Required/Mandatory ??? dalabera 9 762 10-26-2023, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.