Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Should a prescription be required for CPAP?
This poll is closed.
No
42.67%
32 42.67%
Yes
57.33%
43 57.33%
Total 75 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Should a prescription be required for CPAP?
RE: Should a prescription be required for CPAP?
(03-15-2012, 04:12 PM)priti36 Wrote: *gasp* oh my. I hadn't thought of that.
I,m wondering how did you get the S9 Escape as in profile instead of the S9 Elite.
If insured you could gotten the S9 Elite or even the AutoSet and if not insured it,s less than $50 more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-15-2012, 04:12 PM)priti36 Wrote: *gasp*

You may need to increase your pressure.

Too-funny Dielaughing GoodOneCleaver
Using the ResMed Mirage SoftGel Nasal Mask with a chinstrap

I do not use either the Ramp nor the EPR Comfort features

Have been on CPAP since December 1998

This is my 3rd machine

I use the ResMed ResScan Software (Version 3.16)
Post Reply Post Reply
I didn't know enough about cpap machine at the time. A local dme was set to give me a machine but my cost would be almost $400 due to deductible and whatever other reason. I did not have extra money to cover the cost so I did nothing. I am not sure what model they were offering me. Then I found place online from california and they gave me the escape at no extra charge to me. they wave deductible. So I think it is good deal and accept it. Now I see it was not as good of a model as it should be. I wish I had better model that gave more information. But it is better than no cpap at all so I will be happy with it for now and getter better one next time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-15-2012, 09:24 PM)priti36 Wrote: I didn't know enough about cpap machine at the time. A local dme was set to give me a machine but my cost would be almost $400 due to deductible and whatever other reason. I did not have extra money to cover the cost so I did nothing. I am not sure what model they were offering me. Then I found place online from california and they gave me the escape at no extra charge to me. they wave deductible. So I think it is good deal and accept it. Now I see it was not as good of a model as it should be. I wish I had better model that gave more information. But it is better than no cpap at all so I will be happy with it for now and getter better one next time.

about all you can do is make the best of it. in the end your machine blows air. that's all that really counts. the bells and whistles and looking at data are nice, but not essential to treating your apnea. use it every night, feel better and when the time is right, upgrade.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-15-2012, 03:24 PM)greatunclebill Wrote: my mind immediately wanders back to the '60's and woodstock era when....... (you know the rest).

Umm, no... Do tell... Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-15-2012, 10:17 PM)greatunclebill Wrote:
(03-15-2012, 09:24 PM)priti36 Wrote:
about all you can do is make the best of it. in the end your machine blows air. that's all that really counts. the bells and whistles and looking at data are nice, but not essential to treating your apnea. use it every night, feel better and when the time is right, upgrade.
I disagree CPAP efficacy data is not luxury it,s essential tool for patients and doctors to keep check how is the therapy is working without it the doctor have no clue on the follow appointment if ever there is one. If you don,t have a problem now and not likely to have one in future than yes data is not essential for you.
IMHO feeling better can be misleading how the therapy working because when I started the therapy felt better but now a year later feeling much better than the time thought felt better.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2012, 07:28 PM)mckevin32 Wrote: Well, I guess we're the 3 "yes" votes, but the "no" people re staying pretty quiet. Smile

Absolutely should need a prescription to purchase a CPAP, but I do think it's pretty silly that yesterday the pharmacy had to call my doctor before they would sell me a chin strap...

Could be coded as a medical device or appliance which requires a prescription.
Since the CPAP is a respiratory appliance with settings prescribed by your physician, have no problem needing a prescription.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-15-2012, 11:15 PM)USAFAirdale Wrote: Could be coded as a medical device or appliance which requires a prescription.

Correct. The rules in the U.S. changed recently (a year or so ago)... it's unclear in parts, but some sections seem to indicate that CPAP masks, humidifiers, hoses, other CPAP add-ons etc. are durable medical equipment and therefore prescription-required. Other regs seem to conflict with this. So, what's happening is to avoid possible issues with regulatory requirements, increasingly most DMEs are requiring prescriptions as a matter of policy, to be on the safe side. (avoid problems with Centers for Medicare & Medicaid - CMS, who is the primary regulator for medical equipment).

Also, welcome to Apnea Board, USAFAirdale! Smile

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2012, 08:21 PM)mummerse Wrote: Rx should be required especially if we want the insurance companies to pick up at least part of the tab. That being said, I don't think a script should be required for mask parts, new masks, filters, hoses etc.

I also agree full heartedly with Mummerse's response and everyone elses. There has to be control over the use and selling of the machines themselves but not the accessories.
Post Reply Post Reply
Perhaps a Rx should be required for a CPAP, but surely not for an APAP.

I bitterly resent that the AMA has legislated away my freedom (by lobbying Congress with donations, aka bribes) by legislating Durable Medical Equipment (DME) to be a prescription item.

I assert that my life belongs to me, and that it is my sovereign right to do what I want with it. What did Patrick Henry say, something like "Give me Liberty, or give me death!"? That is the way that I feel about this. I am with the nation's Founders on this issue.

Prescriptions might arguably be reasonably required for those with subnormal intelligence, brain damage, insanity, etc., but surely not for sane people of average or better intelligence, who are capable of reading the educational materials.

I think a better principle would be to strongly recommend training and licenses to operate DME, exactly the same as pilots licenses and motorcycle riders licenses. You have to pass a test to fly a plane, or ride a bike on the public roads.
My age is none of my mind's business. --- Netskier
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 61 03-27-2024, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 124 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  [CPAP] Advice required regarding data Mjfbeeslaar 4 384 12-28-2023, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Prescription settings AfibApnea 12 795 11-21-2023, 09:08 PM
Last Post: AfibApnea
  [CPAP] Question about cpap/bipap prescription UARS tugboatxd 9 985 11-09-2023, 02:00 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42
  [CPAP] Preparing for first night with CPAP (help required) applebee 2 433 10-28-2023, 11:20 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
Question [Diagnosis] Sleep test Required/Mandatory ??? dalabera 9 764 10-26-2023, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.