Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Should "new" ResMed AirSense 11 smell like lavender?
RE: Should "new" ResMed AirSense 11 smell like lavender?
Rc:  thank you for explaining even further and providing your data for comparison.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to locate the "Essentials" option under the clinical settings menu, so not sure if they may have removed this item under the S11?

Based on what you're saying, it appears my unit could very well be a brand new machine. If this is the case, and assuming ResMed does not add a lavender scent to new machines, I can only conclude that AeroCare is doing at some level of distribution; either directly at the local office, or somewhere up the food chain.

Going to call when they open in a couple of minutes, so it's going to be an interesting conversation. I'm really hoping there's not going to be an impasse.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have a Clinician Manual? Order it here:

https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual

Scroll down to Section Three.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hope everything works out with Aerocare. I had sent in my S9 VPAP S for repairs to my local Aerocare. I took photos of everything including hours, total hours and all the model information. I nagged for 2 months about getting it returned, and after threatening to call the Medicare Fraud folks, they tried to dump a machine on me and drive off. Good thing I had pictures of everything because they sent me someone’s S9 COPD machine with 5000 hours on it. The box actually smelled like lavender. I remarked about it to the driver, who shrugged and drove off with it.
My actual machine was discreetly dropped off at my front door the next day.
I only use them for supplies and they still get them wrong. I wish you the best!
Post Reply Post Reply
With all of this discussion of VOCs (volatile organic compounds) and how they are only the first couple of days of use -- I would wonder if this is an added scent, or if it's the cpap version of "new car smell" that you are experiencing?

If it is brand spanking new, then the first couple of days are prime time for this. And odor can be a very complicated thing. Maybe lavender is just the scent of the various components fresh off the assembly line?
Post Reply Post Reply
If your DME did any setup/testing on your machine prior to you getting it, the smell may have been from the tech using scented hand lotion while handling your machine. Or possibly some type of overpowering air freshener they use in the office/warehouse.
Like the OP, I have a very sensitive sense of smell. Last time I went to an optometrist they used several of those scented oil atomizers in the office. Caused my eyes to start tearing immediately, started sneezing, and had an asthma attack. Never did go back to that office! I could still smell it 2 days later from my shirt in the laundry basket.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just got a brand new Resmed 10 ASV and the "new car smell" was potent last night. While it didn't smell like lavender, it definitely smelled like... something. I wonder if maybe Geer's right, and it's the "new machine smell" but to you, it's reminiscent of lavender? If someone had told me mine had a floral scent, I probably would have agreed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2022, 11:48 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Do you have a Clinician Manual?  Order it here:

https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual

Scroll down to Section Three.

No I don't, but thank you for the link. 

I just sent a request via email. 

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2022, 03:05 PM)Elgeeone Wrote: I hope everything works out with Aerocare. I had sent in my S9 VPAP S for repairs to my local Aerocare. I took photos of everything including hours, total hours and all the model information. I nagged for 2 months about getting it returned, and after threatening to call the Medicare Fraud folks, they tried to dump a machine on me and drive off. Good thing I had pictures of everything because they sent me someone’s S9 COPD machine with 5000 hours on it. The box actually smelled like lavender. I remarked about it to the driver, who shrugged and drove off with it.
My actual machine was discreetly dropped off at my front door the next day.
I only use them for supplies and they still get them wrong. I wish you the best!

Thanks!

I spoke with the representative / technician from Aerocare yesterday who assured me she had taken the unit out of the box before placing it in the carrying case and shipping it to me; however, I don't recall getting a direct answer as to whether or not the box came directly from ResMed or via some sort of central AeroCare distribution?   For that matter, I'm not even sure how new units come in so far as being shrink-wrapped, or some other form of "seal" like you'd find on software when you buy it off the shelf?

In any case, she's always seemed like a straight shooter and said she'd never add any sort of fragrance being in her line of work with patients who are hypersensitive to smell.   She also provided a similar explanation as Ratchick regarding the more granular breakdown of hours.   I believe that she believes it's a new unit, or at least that whatever arrives for desk to provide directly to patients is supposed to be new. 

I agreed to follow her suggestion of soaking the reservoir, tubes, and nose pillow in 1:1 vinegar:water for 20 minutes, then to rinse it all all off to see if it removed the odor ... but it didn't.   She also agreed to get me a new unit if this didn't work; however, she said they don't have any units available at the moment and it'd have to go back to ResMed via some sort of warranty process.

I'm now a bit concerned that if the unit does go back to ResMed via warranty, they might simply refurbish vs. a complete exchange.

I'm also a bit concerned that if AeroCare is possibly refurbishing units internally during this low supply / high demand period, that I'd be rolling the dice on this front again; however, I'm wondering if this might be the better gamble if it's likely that ResMed will refurbish my unit and send it back?

I'm not seeking to bash AeroCare, as I suspect most giant outfits have bean counters that invariably try to recoup on devices that go astray for whatever reason.  However, I also had a similar experience with this same office for an O2 concentrator that was clearly "fabreezed" from a prior patient who has smoked.  In fact, I've been hesitant to exchange the concentrator they had given me afterwards that's super loud, but doesn't smell ... out of fear of getting another stink bomb!  Still, as much as I'm willing to cut a little slack in terms of not singling out AeroCare (or this office), I don't believe this is a practice that should be tolerated.  Health care products that directly interface with the respiratory systems of people who have related medical issues is far different than hotels that mask the smell of smokey rooms.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2022, 11:16 PM)cathyf Wrote: With all of this discussion of VOCs (volatile organic compounds) and how they are only the first couple of days of use -- I would wonder if this is an added scent, or if it's the cpap version of "new car smell" that you are experiencing?

If it is brand spanking new, then the first couple of days are prime time for this. And odor can be a very complicated thing. Maybe lavender is just the scent of the various components fresh off the assembly line?

I was wondering about this too, but I would suspect it would be in ResMed's best interest, as a competitor in a marketplace that involves respiratory patients, to produce a unit that is as close to a "neutral" odor as possible; whereas with cars, memory foam mattresses, etc. some level is odor is typically expected that can be tolerated by a greater cross-section of individuals.

But yeah, odor is a complicated thing.  I can't be sure it's lavender, but it's the closest thing that comes to mind.  I thought I detected a faint whiff of smoke mixed in with the lavender scent last evening and that just made me stop using it altogether!  

Another interesting thing about the odor is that I can't really detect it while the CPAP is engaged with an airflow.  It's only immediately after I take off the nose pillows does it present itself.  I'm always good for AT LEAST one bathroom visit during the night; combined with insomnia, and in particular falling back asleep, this doesn't help matters.  Even if I can ignore the smell for a brief amount of time, my mind still is processing the possibility that my respiratory tract could be exposed to a constant stream of whatever and is just going to nag at me.

(01-11-2022, 01:25 AM)Jeff8356 Wrote: If your DME did any setup/testing on your machine prior to you getting it, the smell may have been from the tech using scented hand lotion while handling your machine.  Or possibly some type of overpowering air freshener they use in the office/warehouse.
Like the OP, I have a very sensitive sense of smell.  Last time I went to an optometrist they used several of those scented oil atomizers in the office.  Caused my eyes to start tearing immediately, started sneezing, and had an asthma attack.  Never did go back to that office!  I could still smell it 2 days later from my shirt in the laundry basket.

I'm not sure about testing, but this is a possibility!
Post Reply Post Reply
If you haven't gotten the Clinicians' Manual yrt... you want to look for 'Patient View' in the Clinician's Menu, and set it to 'Advanced'.

Which I guess is a little clearer than 'Essentials' set to 'On' or 'Plus' Big Grin
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 3 182 04-20-2024, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Rickyricardo
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 53 1,591 04-18-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Pawpri
  New car smell months later dkmk 4 285 04-15-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Resmed Airsense 10 time to return to low pressure setting jfchap 3 176 04-13-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 74 27,235 04-11-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 176 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 68,283 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.