Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does BiPAP have unintended side-effects?
RE: Does BiPAP have unintended side-effects?
Your chart suggests some pretty shallow breathing and it appears there is flow restriction. I'd like to vertically stretch the flow rate and change the Y-axis. Right click the margin near the label until the context menu appears. Select Y-axis and Override th+e auto scale, then set the minimum to -100 and maximum to +100. Also select Dotted Line at zero. That will make the flow rate really pop. I think that procedure is described in the Organizing your OSCAR Chart wiki. A taller chart with a scale from -100 to +100 and dotted line will make interpretation much easier.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2020, 08:22 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Your chart suggests some pretty shallow breathing and it appears there is flow restriction. I'd like to vertically stretch the flow rate and change the Y-axis. Right click the margin near the label until the context menu appears. Select Y-axis and Override th+e auto scale, then set the minimum to -100 and maximum to +100. Also select Dotted Line at zero.  That will make the flow rate really pop.   I think that procedure is described in the Organizing your OSCAR Chart wiki.  A taller chart with a scale from -100 to +100 and dotted line will make interpretation much easier.

Got it, here it is. Any thoughts?

By the way, I also included another image of a night that was before I limited my pressure range and before I did max EPR. You previously asked for this. I forgot that OSCAR saves a lot of data! So that's why there are two images.
The Jan 9 is the old one.
The May 11 is the same night we have been looking at but now with the enhanced view of flow rate.

(05-13-2020, 05:59 AM)bonjour Wrote: Pressure Support is simply the difference between Exhale and Inhale pressures.

There is a continuum of Obstructive events from apnea to hypopnea to flow limitations to normal.  ResMed uses flow limitations as a precursor to apnea and hypopneas and as such raises pressure to head off apnea and hypopneas. The flow limits chart indicates the flatness of the flow rate chart which indicates flow limitations.

Ahh that makes sense. 

By the way, thank you for the work you've done on OSCAR. You're literally saving lives.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Your zoomed image at 01:59 on May 11 shows a shallow breathing with a serrated peak that may be snoring. At 01:59:35 there are several recovery breaths or arousal that more than double the previous flow, followed by additional shallow breaths, then another larger amplitude flow. The bumps seen during expiration are from your pulse (the heart normally transmits pressure to the lungs). We can see the variable flow rate but this does not help us identify a reason for the phenomenon, but we can assume this was disruptive to sleep. This is not what we would identify as flow-limitation because there is a defined peak to inspiration that is not flattened. The pressure during this sequence is 9.6/6.6, and pressure through the night varies by less than 2-cm which suggests you are near an optimum for the Autoset.

Good job with formatting. You can now see the zero-flow crossover and inspiration and expiration times clearly.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much SleepRider. This is really helpful for me. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 17 409 03-22-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 982 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 439 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 254 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Thumbsup Side sleep enforcer for positional apnea G. Szabo 0 258 02-26-2024, 05:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 402 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  bipap Innisfree 2 421 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.