Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Side Sleepers vs Back Sleepers
RE: Side Sleepers vs Back Sleepers
Nope not at all.  It can record directly to a Micro SD card, either 32 Gb, 128 Gb or 256 Gb.  Plenty of memory for many days of recording.  No additonal expense needed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Before sleep apnea, I was a stomach/side sleeper. For some unknown reason, I have changed to strictly a back sleeper. Even though I sleep on my back, my numbers are very good. 
AHI monthly average = .35
Leaks range from 0 to 5.  7 on a really bad day. 
The monthly obstructive apneas needs 2 decimal places to even register.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Cmpman1974,

I've personally be a back sleeper all my life (60+ years) and after watching some of the same videos you may have seen, I broke down and picked up the Ice Cube and Cooling Knee Cube pillows. The Knee Cube does a nice job at helping me stay on my side. I still find from time to time that I drift over onto my back. My pressures are not setup for being on my back, so I wake up usually.

I also notice that when I'm on my back, I will now wake up with lower back pain. The Knee Cube did help.
Post Reply Post Reply
I start out on my back and then will use either side. If I lie on my right side, my bad ear is up so it is nice and quiet. I've actually had some good numbers sleeping on my stomach.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, just had a second sleep study after 10 years on the CPAP, sleeping on my back my AHI is 47, sleeping on my side it is 2. I am a natural back sleeper, but I've been sleeping on my side for the last 2 years. The medcline pillow is wonderful to keep you on your side and relieve strain on your shoulder. Seems like most sleep doctors don't even want to talk about positional therapy. Standard formula seems to be come in for a sleep study, will force you to sleep on your back, never test you on your side, prescribe a CPAP machine, go away for a year. All the best to you
Post Reply Post Reply
Stomach sleeper in my early life.

I have never been prone to sleeping on my back. It is just uncomfortable and is terrible for my sleep apnea. I generally sleep on my right side but turn to the left from time to time but rarely stay there long.

After a recent back surgery, I had to sleep on my back. It was only possible with the head side of the bed raised a fair amount.

I'm back to my right side. Smile
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
I sleep mostly on my back because when I sleep on my sides I get low grade pain that I can only tolerate for a file. I have had knee and shoulder surgeries and replacements on both sides. I have arthritis in my hips, about 30% of my neck is fused and lower back problems. I prefer sleep flat and straight on my back but that is when my back acts up. When I do sleep on my back I get dry a mouth. So basically I rotate all night but mostly on my back. Before my neck fusion, I was a stomach sleeper.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Mask recommendation for a sensitive side-sleeper who might have an unusual face shape PersonInNY 6 189 Yesterday, 10:44 AM
Last Post: PersonInNY
  Tools for "forced" side sleeping (noodles), do they work Fox66 2 103 04-20-2024, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Fox66
  Product Suggestions To Help Prevent Back Sleeping mawaw1992 6 221 04-07-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Glad to Have a Back-up, RM 11 Sent Back for Repair somewherein413 4 169 04-04-2024, 09:02 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Back to CPAP for UARS, help interpreting graphs dcg494 2 222 04-02-2024, 08:58 AM
Last Post: dcg494
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 5,477 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 17 544 03-22-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: SheShells23

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.