Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Side Sleepers
Side Sleepers
I have always been a side sleeper, but with mask it is challenging. I feel like I have to sleep with my head barely on the corner of the pillow as to not bump mask and cause leaks.
Something I discovered was that if I take a small down pillow and force it up under my chin and put my arm around it, while on my side (kind of like hugging a stuffed toy) it is the only way I have been able to sleep so far. It also keeps my jaw from dropping open.
I just can't get used to chin strap yet, the mask is enough. One thing at a time.
I know this sounds weird, but figured I would post it. If it helps one person then it's worth posting.

Oh I tried a regular pillow, but the down one works best because it conforms to your body.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Side Sleepers
It's one of the overlooked items in CPAP therapy. I had a time with leaks until I found the right pillow for me.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I do the same thing with the huggy pillow Big Grin
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
You might look into one of those buckwheat pillows - there are a couple marketed specifically for CPAPers. I love mine - you can get the perfect amount of support under your head and neck, then punch a hollow for your mask, and the pillow stays like that until you move it. Because of back issues, I usually have to turn over at least once a night, so I have to readjust, but if you tend to stay in one position it works really well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried something else besides a FFM?

I use a nasal pillows mask and I don't have to do anything special to sleep on my side, it's a complete non-issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2015, 04:23 PM)angiessa Wrote: [You might look into one of those buckwheat pillows] -

[quote='nelamvr6' pid='141097' dateline='1449013413']
Have you tried something else besides a FFM?

I use a nasal pillows mask and I don't have to do anything special to sleep on my side, it's a complete non-issue.

I tried a buckwheat pillow years ago, I felt like I was sleeping on a sack of gravel. I think I move around too much.

I have 4 masks now, but I still can't get seem to sleep with the wisp or the nasal pillows. I keep trying though. I love how light weight they are and seem less bothersome, but I keep going back to the Amara view mask.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've been struggling with this too. I've had a couple of back surgeries and cannot sleep on my back if I want to walk the next day. I use 2 body pillows and a pillow under my head. My husband says I prepare my nest before bed. I flip back and forth all night, moving both body pillows under the blankets. And now I've got a mask and a hose to deal with. I tried the Amara and kept waking up choking on condensation from my breath. I've had the best success with the Pica nasal mask, but keeping it in place has been a challenge. I've been achieving 4 to 6 hours with under 2 events per hour, which had my dr dancing when I saw him Monday. I keep waking up with my mask on the floor though, so he suggested we try another mask to find one more comfortable. So I came home with a loaner Dreamwear. It's been awful. 3 nights in a row, I got less than 2 hours per night and woke up in the morning with it on the floor. So last night, I went back to the Pica and had 6 1/2 hours sleep with 1.5 events per hour, but woke up 3x with my mask on the floor, and have been sporting a killer migraine all day :/ My numbers are getting better and better, but I'm still waiting to feel better. At least I'm not getting rainout anymore.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2015, 07:48 AM)I_will_never_sleep_again Wrote: I have always been a side sleeper, but with mask it is challenging. I feel like I have to sleep with my head barely on the corner of the pillow as to not bump mask and cause leaks.
Something I discovered was that if I take a small down pillow and force it up under my chin and put my arm around it, while on my side (kind of like hugging a stuffed toy) it is the only way I have been able to sleep so far. It also keeps my jaw from dropping open.
I just can't get used to chin strap yet, the mask is enough. One thing at a time.
I know this sounds weird, but figured I would post it. If it helps one person then it's worth posting.

Oh I tried a regular pillow, but the down one works best because it conforms to your body.

I do the same with my pillow. I place it so it supports my chin when on my side. Works well.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 17 403 03-22-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 981 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 437 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Thumbsup Side sleep enforcer for positional apnea G. Szabo 0 257 02-26-2024, 05:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 398 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  would it matter if you ran a cpap (without humidifier) on its side?on its side snorin2 8 628 11-19-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: snorin2
  [Equipment] SD card question and mask leak issue when side sleeping KingsIndian 1 431 10-13-2023, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.