Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Side Sleeping In Adjustable Bed and Sleep Apnea
Side Sleeping In Adjustable Bed and Sleep Apnea
I am generally a side sleeper and my AHI events are usually less than one. I recently began sleeping on an adjustable bed on my back and my AHI events have increased to eight or over. With an adjustable bed what are the best settings for sleeping on your side with sleep apnea? Should just the head of the bed be raised or both the head and the foot? I'm also concerned about keeping my spine in alignment as much as possible to prevent lower back or hip issues.

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Side Sleeping In Adjustable Bed and Sleep Apnea
All4Heels,

Sleeping with the upper body elevated can help some users with apnea.  But since we don't know which events are causing your AHI to increase it would only be a guess.  Please post a screenshot of your daily OSCAR chart.  It will give everyone a better idea of what is going on.  It could be the positional apnea (aka: chin tucking) which can usually be seen in your daily chart as clusters of events.

I have used an adjustable bed for many years.  My favorite setting is "Zero G", where the upper and lower body are both raised.  Helps me with neck and lower back pain.  It takes a little creativity to sleep on your side in that position but it is possible (semi fetal position)!
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Side Sleeping In Adjustable Bed and Sleep Apnea
(09-18-2022, 04:54 PM)Jeff8356 Wrote: All4Heels,

Sleeping with the upper body elevated can help some users with apnea.  But since we don't know which events are causing your AHI to increase it would only be a guess.  Please post a screenshot of your daily OSCAR chart.  It will give everyone a better idea of what is going on.  It could be the positional apnea (aka: chin tucking) which can usually be seen in your daily chart as clusters of events.

I have used an adjustable bed for many years.  My favorite setting is "Zero G", where the upper and lower body are both raised.  Helps me with neck and lower back pain.  It takes a little creativity to sleep on your side in that position but it is possible (semi fetal position)!

Thanks for your reply. I have been using the zero G position, but was sleeping on my back to do that. I'll work on posting the Oscar chart and will definitely figure out a way to convert back to sleeping on my side.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 228 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Product Suggestions To Help Prevent Back Sleeping mawaw1992 6 172 04-07-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 124 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Need help with RERAs in sleep apnea shedu1337 8 292 04-03-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: shedu1337
  Heart Failure with Sleep Apnea kwhenrykerr 2 204 04-02-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 634 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 384 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.