Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Side and Back Sleeping
Side and Back Sleeping
I sleep on my side, always have, but it's because of my apnea (which went undiagnosed for decades). I think without it I would prefer sleeping on my back. 

My prescription is for side-sleeping, so it's fairly low-pressure. 

How do I build a back-sleeping prescription (settings)? And once I have it, how do I switch from back to side during the night? It seems to me that were I to set up for back sleeping, when I rolled to the side I'd be blown away. Is there a way, do you think, how I could use the versatility of the ASV machine to accomplish this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Side and Back Sleeping
Huh, prescribed for sleep position ? I never heard of this ... My scripts were for the type of treatment for xPAP not the position I slept .. I have Complex Apnea so I started with Cpap then BiPap and now ASV ... My AHI now is under control and it isn't to do with sleep position..
Post Reply Post Reply
Although there are no specific settings for back vs side sleepers. You MAY need slightly higher settings if you sleep on your back as opposed to on your side. But there are many benefits to sleeping on your back. Namely you would generally get less leaks. I myself find it more comfortable also now that I have gotten used to it. I would say just sleep on your back if you find it comfortable. If your AHI events are relatively high (approaching, say...2 or 3) I would say post your data here and you can get advice on what settings would be recommended for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmmm, I though this is something everyone would have noticed: When I'm on my back the EPAP and PS both go way up. Maybe it's because I switch from primarily central to obstructive when I'm on my back. Right now the increase is so noticeable my AHI goes way up when I'm on my back, and stays high even when I'm awake.

My thinking was that there is an optimal set of low EPAP and PS for my side, and a much higher set for my back. Since the machine can't see my sleep position, it's going to need my breathing to tell it, and I'd rather not experience a series of apneas when moving to my back to let the machine know my sleeping position has changed.

I suppose I can take an afternoon and get some settings for being on my back, so I at least know where I'm starting.
Post Reply Post Reply
I sleep on both my side and back and my settings stay pretty much the same which ever way I end up sleeping...And also my AHI is always well under 5.. Been getting lower than 1 some nights even.. Try my settings out for a go... this coming from 90+ AHI untreated and 50+ BiPap...
Post Reply Post Reply
I have central apena on my back and on my side, most of which occur on my side and the Sleep Study pointed that out to my doctor and me. 

Knowing this I am not strapped to my side but I have found that I feel more comfortable breathing while on my side while my back doesn't appreciate it in the morning.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,958 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 17 403 03-22-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 981 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 813 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 437 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 203 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.