Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Side sleeping and shoulder pain
Side sleeping and shoulder pain
I've been carefully studying my sleep habits, and the results thereof. I monitor my O2, and have found that it stays good if I sleep on my side. If I lay on my back, it drops, I assume due to OSA. I haven't had any luck with a CPAP, so I'm going without, for now. The problem is that these old shoulders don't like the pressure when I sleep on my side. Even if I switch during the night, they hurt. Is there some trick to it? Some special pillow or something? I've said it here before, but I'll repeat it again- I don't have symptoms of sleep apnea other than my O2 dropping and apparent AHI in the mild to moderate range. I don't snore, I wake up refreshed, feel great all day long. Apparently, the AHI isn't bothering me, but I'm trying to keep my nighttime O2 in a safe range.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Side sleeping and shoulder pain
I have the same issue and place a small pillow under my side just below my arm. It provides support that takes some of the weight off the shoulder.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
My left hip has been bothering me the last couple of months. I can sleep on it for about 30 min. or so, then I have to roll over and sleep on my right side. 

It's bothered me in the past, but usually gets better as some time goes by. This time, the pain seems to be hanging on.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m having a similar issue. I wake up once while on cpap I think because I’m on my back. Doesnt happen when I’m on my side. But my shoulder aches after a while. Currently I have a pillow between my knees and I hug a pillow to take some weight off the lower shoulder. Wish there were other ways.
Post Reply Post Reply
A thick memory foam mattress topper helped me immensely with my shoulder pain.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't sleep on my sides at all due to shoulder pain. Nothing I can do to prevent it. But, it's just a limitation, like others. I can do whatever I can to help myself sleep better in the positions that are available to me.

Before you make decisions pegged to an oxygen monitor alone, I would load up Oscar, wear your CPAP for several nights, and post the results. IMO more detail is needed to determine what needs to happen in your therapy, and since you already have a machine, take advantage. The quality of your side sleeping might actually be worse than you're thinking....
Post Reply Post Reply
I have sleep apnea and use a thin cpap pillow to protect my neck. While sleeping on my left side I ge pain in the shoulder and tend to role over. My right shoulder has a replacement and doesnt bother me but I breath better on my left.

I ve been using aspercream gel with lidocaine at night on the shoulder before I go to sleep and this solves the problem. The little pillows under me shoulder do not help me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used the Medcline shoulder relief pillows for years with good success. Basically it is a wedge with a cut-out for your arm to go through which takes all pressure off the shoulder. I also use their body pillow as it helps stay on my side.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2024, 08:47 AM)G. Szabo Wrote: A thick memory foam mattress topper helped me immensely with my shoulder pain.

Yes, memory foam helped me greatly, even with a firm mattress. N30i helps to switch sides easily, since the hose connects to the area above the top of the head.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a link to the best pillow I have ever used.  By using this along with the soft cervical collar allows me side sleeping comfort all night.
https://medcline.com/?utm_source=bing&ut...lief_Exact
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 17 413 03-22-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 825 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 439 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 208 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 254 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
Thumbsup Side sleep enforcer for positional apnea G. Szabo 0 258 02-26-2024, 05:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.