Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Side sleeping position
Side sleeping position
apologies if this has been addressed ad nauseum... I searched the forum and couldn't find a specific thread for this.

I would like to hear tips for maintaining side sleeping position. I have tried tennis balls in the shirt (woke up with red marks on the back), backpack stuffed with towels and basketball (works but uncomfortable), etc.

I clearly sleep better on my side and wonder how I might comfortably "force" myself to remain on my side.

Surely someone has solved this?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Side sleeping position
Welcome to the forum 12344321! Hope you get some good advice soon! Can't think of anything to help, but thought I'd say HI!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
HI, I am just silly, but have you considered velcro? Sorry...
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi 12344321!

Welcome to the forum.

If you get better sleep on your side but keep turning to be on your back, I think I would look at your mattress and pillow. I'm just guessing here bit it would seem that your body is feeling uncomfortable in a side position and telling you to roll over.

Good luck in your quest.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello,

For several years, even though I was a back sleeper I snored so loudly sleeping on my back that I forced myself (with lots of encouragement from my wife ) to sleep on my left side facing away from her side of the bed. After I finally got a sleep study and CPAP I thought oh boy, now I can go back to sleeping on my back. Well, #1, it isn't recommend for us with apnea and #2, I no longer really wanted to sleep on my back. Now I can't wait to get settled in on my side after putting the mask on. So, I'm thinking , bite the bullet for a time and see if you can't adjust to it. If not I believe a back sleeper CAN survive.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-28-2016, 01:50 PM)stanleydean Wrote: Hello,

For several years, even though I was a back sleeper I snored so loudly sleeping on my back that I forced myself (with lots of encouragement from my wife ) to sleep on my left side facing away from her side of the bed. After I finally got a sleep study and CPAP I thought oh boy, now I can go back to sleeping on my back. Well, #1, it isn't recommend for us with apnea and #2, I no longer really wanted to sleep on my back. Now I can't wait to get settled in on my side after putting the mask on. So, I'm thinking , bite the bullet for a time and see if you can't adjust to it. If not I believe a back sleeper CAN survive.

I had the same experience, I originally was a back sleeper and forced myself to sleep on my side years ago, in order to sleep through the night and reduce the snoring. Now, I can't sleep on my back. In fact it was a problem in my titration study because the tech wanted me to sleep on my back and I kept turning onto my side as soon as I feel asleep.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
It's encouraging to hear from you who have trained yourself to side sleep. While I don't mind side sleeping, and I go to sleep this way, my sleeping self inevitably chooses back sleeping at times during the night. My husband rolls me over when he finds me on my back, but this is not practical. I don't feel that I sleep as well on my back, and the machine data shows more events when I do so.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-28-2016, 04:00 PM)12344321 Wrote: It's encouraging to hear from you who have trained yourself to side sleep. While I don't mind side sleeping, and I go to sleep this way, my sleeping self inevitably chooses back sleeping at times during the night. My husband rolls me over when he finds me on my back, but this is not practical. I don't feel that I sleep as well on my back, and the machine data shows more events when I do so.

If you put a long body pillow behind you when you go to sleep, f you then roll over in your sleep you'll still be elevate by the pillow. The deeper the pillow the higher the elevation.

http://bestreviews.com/5-best-body-pillows
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi 12344321,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Have you thought about getting a body pillow? I hope this helps you, I have the same problem, I start out on my side and later on in the night, I roll over onto my back.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I can no longer sleep on my side due to shoulder and collarbone issues, oh how I wish that I could because my apnea is not being controlled. However, when I COULD sleep on my side, I was able to maintain the position by putting my bed against a wall. So I could prop my back against it, and hold a body pillow in front of me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 17 413 03-22-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 986 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 825 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 439 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 208 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 254 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.