Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Whistling noise
Whistling noise
First time here. I have a Dreamstation that recently replaced a System one. On both machines whenever I wash my masks and hoses I get a whistling noise. It  seems obvious that this is moisture related but the masks appear to be dry by the time I use them. Any suggestions as to what I can do to stop this noise?
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Whistling noise
Dreamstation noises come mostly from the filter or humidifier outlet. If you get a whistling noise after washing the mask and hose, it could be the exhaust vent being wet. These noises are always related to a restricted small air leak or where air takes a tortuous path through pieces of material. Make sure you do cleaning at a time that it is fairly dry before you start the next session and look for these small air-gaps. Problem solving is always a matter of trial and error for these annoying sounds.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Got the whistling two nights ago. Wife thought there was a cat nearby meowing. At first I thought my Airfit P10 had sprung a leak, possibly where the small hose enters the nosepiece, so put some tape around it to seal any little hole there may be in the hose, a fix that worked a few months ago with my wife's main DreamStation hose, which had come from the manufacturer pre-perforated. Sad

Still heard the little undefined cat sound last night, so I triangulated the noise to the filters. I use both filters, but had been derelict in my duty of heeding the change filter notification. Mea culpa. The filter was pretty dirty so I changed it right away, and the whistling noise was gone. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
My Dreamstation made the whistling noise at the top silicon seal for the humidifier.  I just made sure the seal was not caught anywhere and the sound went away.
Post Reply Post Reply
Any repetitive and sustained noise is going to be caused by vibration.  The frequency of sound, all the way up to a high-pitched whistle, simply means that a surface is vibrating at that frequency and moving air, causing audible sounds of a frequency to match.  To stop the annoyance, you must stop the surface from vibrating.  This can be, literally, anywhere along a hose, at a tear, at inner flaps found inside some masks, at diffusers (found at all mask exhausts), or inside the machine itself.  It could be the seal between the lid and water vessel, it might be that the vessel is not quite tightly pressed home in its cubby, and maybe leaking air is causing the rear wall or lid to vibrate.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,280 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 146 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  [CPAP] Resmed airmini noise NYKP44 0 360 02-09-2024, 01:27 PM
Last Post: NYKP44
Question Resmed Autoset 10 buzzing noise - what now? mogulman 8 595 01-16-2024, 11:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Equipment] Airsense 10 Noise tblaster 4 345 01-15-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: tblaster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.