Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Significant AHI results with different masks.
RE: Significant AHI results with different masks.
My previous post was incomplete as it was inadvertently posted. This is what occurred after sleepriders suggestion:

Good results, attachment F-30 Feb 10. Tried to repeat it next night and back to poor results ( F-30 Feb 11 ).

Back to the nasal mask and good results over the next 2 days. Nano_Feb 12 and Nano_Feb 13. On Feb 13 I increased the min PS to 4. 

One last try with the f-30 and an increase of min PS of 4 once again gave poor results. F-30 Feb 14.

Might there be an explanation for this or should I just drop it and stay with the nasal mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
We need to drill down to a close-up (1-minute) view of what is going on. Your expiratory time is very short compared to inspiration, and we need to get a look at why.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the exact same problem as the OP when trying to switch from the P10 to the F30. AHI skyrocketed from around one to nearly 10. Tried increasing pressure but no luck. Leaks were good and mask was very comfortable but just couldn't get the results using the F30, Went back to the P10 and instantly back to the old results using the old pressure setting. Just like the OP I am at a loss to explain it and just gave up. My reason to switch was to get away from a chin strap but I will live with that discomfort. I thought it might just be an adjustment period but I hated looking at the bad results. May try it again with a machine that doesn't have data so I don't see the results and then after a few weeks try my data machine again. Funny thing was I actually felt pretty good in the morning even though the results said I shouldn't. The F30 seems like a great mask but.....maybe its jinxed.
Post Reply Post Reply
sleeprider, these are some of my 1 min screenshots:

F30Feb10 was the best I ever did with the F-30mask

F30Feb11 was the next night with poor results

NanoFeb12 was my nasal mask showing good results

and finally F30Feb 14 back to high AHI

I hope this helps. On Feb10,11 and12 the machine PS was increased to 2 as you suggested. On Feb14 I increased the PS to 4 and did not see a significant difference.

Thank you for all your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2019, 08:44 PM)TonyJ Wrote: I had the exact same problem as the OP when trying to switch from the P10 to the F30. AHI skyrocketed from around one to nearly 10. Tried increasing pressure but no luck. Leaks were good and mask was very comfortable but just couldn't get the results using the F30, Went back to the P10 and instantly back to the old results using the old pressure setting. Just like the OP I am at a loss to explain it and just gave up. My reason to switch was to get away from a chin strap but I will live with that discomfort. I thought it might just be an adjustment period but I hated looking at the bad results. May try it again with a machine that doesn't have data so I don't see the results and then after a few weeks try my data machine again. Funny thing was I actually felt pretty good in the morning even though the results said I shouldn't. The F30 seems like a great mask but.....maybe its jinxed.

I am also trying to switch from the P10 to the F30.  I was never able to solve my mouth leak problem with the P10 and dry mouth episodes were uncomfortable. AHI with the P10 was fairly good, averaging about 1.5 over the last 30 days.  Leaks were low.  Sleep quality was not as good as I would have liked (and I have recently been trying CBD oil to help).

I've used the F30 for about four nights so far.  I'm still working with the mask adjustments, so it may get better.  Loosening the top strip, effectively making the headgear larger, made the mask more comfortable.  AHI is higher, from about 2.5 to 9.5!  (The two nights above 9 may be related to a medication problem -- I am still trying to isolate that.)  Leaks are worse than with the P10, but not often into large leak territory so the machine is handling the pressure ok.  An unanticipated side effect is that aerophagia appears to be significantly reduced.  Of course, mouth leaks and resulting dry mouth are no longer a problem.  

The major leak problem I am experiencing is on the cheeks, I think when I relax and my mouth drops open slightly, opening a leak at the sides as the cheeks hollow out a bit.  That, and the noise the leak makes, tends to wake me up.

A very surprising result is that I think I am sleeping better and waking more rested with the F30, despite any AHI and leak problems.  We'll see if that holds up, or whether it is just the effect of trying something new.
Post Reply Post Reply
What does your doctor have to offer?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have exatly same problem with F30 mask
First part of night F30 mask second part N20

No parameters were changed

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2019, 07:31 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: What does your doctor have to offer?

I had a sleep study early Dec 2018 after 5 years of reasonably successful use of ASV machine.
The resp tech said the study "looks good" and that was it. I requested a full face mask because of possible mouth breathing and they recommended the F30.
They then scheduled me for a follow up in 5 months (May 2019)!!
I recently complained to them about the F30 not working well and eventually wrangled an appoint for the end of March 2019.

This is a university sleep clinic and I am not satisfied with their patient care but am in too deep to transfer without significant hassle. I feel they do a good job when you get or force their attention.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2019, 08:08 PM)Mila Wrote: I have exatly same problem with F30 mask
First part of night F30 mask second part N20

No parameters were changed

Good post Mila. There is something strange about this F30. Now there are several of us reporting the same F30 ineffectiveness.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep tech. then remoutly changed pressure from 5-10 to 7-14 and again poor results with F30 and good results with N20. 

Mila
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 52 Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 65 5,919 03-19-2024, 07:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] Please help me interpret my results baganaz 2 181 03-14-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: baganaz
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 158 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 132 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.