Simple, basic, question..too many strings here.
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Simple, basic, question..too many strings here.
Check the "useful links" in my signature line at the bottom of this post for info on which machine to get and how to not get screwed as badly in the process.

You can also buy from someone on craigslist. You may have to wait a while to find a good deal. Lots of people want WAY too much money for old, used equipment. I usually see a good, full auto, current model CPAP machine for sale locally for around $300 once a month or more around here.

The usual safety warnings for craigslist apply.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
02-25-2015 05:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Just be aware that purchasing prescription only items without a prescription is illegal in the United States and several other countries. Buying from such places as Craigslist is, technically, illegal. Doesn't stop it from happening though.

If you do decide to go through an online or even local supplier, you will need a prescription for the machine and even the mask (stupid, right??). But any doc can write it. It does not have to be from a sleep doc. If you are paying out of pocket, the supplier doesn't care.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
02-25-2015 08:01 PM
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

Sex: Male

(02-25-2015 12:47 PM)Bswans1 Wrote:  Hi there.. yes, I had a sleep test and have apnea.

If you know that then you must have heard it from a doctor. Ask that doctor for a prescription and a copy of your sleep study. During your sleep study did they hook you up to a CPAP machine? If so then that report will indicate the pressure. That's the pressure you need to set on your machine. It'll be a number somewhere between 4 and 20.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
02-25-2015 09:50 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560 with A Flex
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: REMStar heated humidifier with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap 10-13 AFLEX 1
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Started CPAP Therapy October 23, 2014

Sex: Female

(02-25-2015 12:47 PM)Bswans1 Wrote:  Hi there.. yes, I had a sleep test and have apnea. I just don't have the $2000 to fork out right now for a CPAP - especially since there is no guarantee that it will even work for me. So I borrowed a friends older model and it just blows air too hard seemingly all night, I was just trying to figure if I can turn it down at all. Probably not. Not a big deal, was just curious. Thanks..

Bswans1,
You stated you've had a sleep test and know you have apnea. None of us have started therapy with a guarantee that it will work for us, but it's a pretty good bet that the longer you delay therapy, you will end up in worse shape.
Ask your Doctor for a copy of the sleep report, your titrated pressure will be on it.
Also, you can purchase a "gently used" machine...check out Supplier #2.
Good luck to you,
OpalRose

OpalRose
02-26-2015 08:52 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Needing basic help to get started Linda Bee 8 343 10-28-2016 06:42 PM
Last Post: Rcgop
  Setting up a Respironics ASV 960 machine as a simple Bi-Level racprops 4 286 07-21-2016 07:23 AM
Last Post: racprops
  Has anyone ever tried a simple headband instead of taping for mouth leaks? tomgtc 4 627 06-01-2016 06:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Basic interpretation - help for newbie Dottydog 16 1,813 05-21-2016 03:02 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse
Ohmy Encore Basic 2.2.2.0 graeme 16 5,894 11-02-2015 12:10 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Newb with a few basic questions SparticleBrane 19 2,534 06-24-2015 09:40 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  PLEASE HELP!!!! CAN'T GET ENCORE BASIC FILES TO EXTRACT AFTER DOWNLOAD lsteele75 16 3,964 05-02-2015 10:13 AM
Last Post: Beans