Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Simple, basic, question..too many strings here.
Simple, basic, question..too many strings here.
Hi all.. so, yes, I borrowed a REMaster C-flex from a friend who updated their machine. Apparently, I broke a law amongst cpap users:) anyhoo, waaay to much air blows up into my nose and I eventually take it off, snore, p*** my wife off. Thats the whole point of trying this - would rather not divorce because of my snoring. How do I "tutn down the what" on this lil fella? It's an older model with "heat" "ramp" a back/forth arrow, and start/stop...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Simple, basic, question..too many strings here.
you got on the commercial posts, so you may not get much in the way of answers. but, look up on top banner of each page, you should see a number of options in black, and you'll want to pick CPAP setup manual.

it will instruct you on how to make setting changes. but, it will not tell you how to pick the right settings. so, your experience may not be very effective. a couple things you missed are the sleep study and the mask fitting. both very helpful.

I assume your machine actually changes the pressure throughout the night.

anyway, post on the main apnea forum and you 'll probably get more bites.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2015, 12:28 AM)Bswans1 Wrote: Hi all.. so, yes, I borrowed a REMaster C-flex from a friend who updated their machine. Apparently, I broke a law amongst cpap usersSmile anyhoo, waaay to much air blows up into my nose and I eventually take it off, snore, p*** my wife off. Thats the whole point of trying this - would rather not divorce because of my snoring. How do I "tutn down the what" on this lil fella? It's an older model with "heat" "ramp" a back/forth arrow, and start/stop...

You probably need CPAP, but you've set yourself up for failure by having an old machine with no data, and not customizing the settings. Your best shot at this would be to get a used auto machine of a current model off craigslist. They can be obtained for $100 to $300, but you need to know what you're looking for. Specifically you want a Philips Respironics System One Auto (prefer 60 Series), or you want a Resmed S9 Autoset.

Keep an eye out for one of those. Also talk to your primary care doctor and explain your symptoms. He might set you up for a home test or just give you a prescription for CPAP and supplies which will be good enough to buy a new mask of the right type.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
A machine does you no good unless you know what you are treating. Have you ever had a sleep test? Do you have a diagnoses of sleep apnea? Would you take a friend's insulin just because you get grumpy if you don't eat soon enough?

If you do not have the diagnosis, you have two choices. The first is get a sleep study either in a lab or a home study. The second is to get a data capable autoPAP, an oximeter, a notebook, a pen, make sure you have a computer with a card reader, and self diagnose which can take a lot of time and trial and error. It is quite possible to do it this way and lots of people do. But it takes patience. And you have to do it right. We can help you with whatever direction you go.

If you do have the diagnosis, then you still need the data capable autoPAP but now you have the sleep study to go by. That takes a lot of time away but will still take patience, a computer with card reader, and that notebook with pen.

You can try Craigslist but it is a crap shoot as to what you get. Another option is Supplier #2 (see Supplier's List at top of every page).

We're here to help. And poke you with sticks. And warn you of the aliens.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi there.. yes, I had a sleep test and have apnea. I just don't have the $2000 to fork out right now for a CPAP - especially since there is no guarantee that it will even work for me. So I borrowed a friends older model and it just blows air too hard seemingly all night, I was just trying to figure if I can turn it down at all. Probably not. Not a big deal, was just curious. Thanks..
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, good! And yes, you can turn it down. You have to get into the SooperSekrit Clinician Menu.

Go here and find the manual:
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

You don't need $2000 for a new machine. Check out Supplier #2.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
tell your doc you have access to the machine. then say you really don't know the right setting, but can make the setting, once defined. your doc may order a titration study or have a auto-titrating machine for check out or rent. that would determine a prescribed setting. Then, you could dial that in to your present machine.

can the friend you borrowed it from tell you anything about how to set it? does your friend have a data-capable unit he/she could let you borrow for a week?

lots of options!

good luck.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, cool, thank you!!
Post Reply Post Reply
The prices you see from some DME suppliers are pretty amazing. You can buy a top of the line brand new, Auto machine with heated humidifier from almost any online provider for under $900. I purchased a an Auto for $200 and BiPAP for $350 on Craigslist, both had under 200 hours and were essentially new.

The reason I pointed that out is that when you're starting in CPAP therapy, it is helpful to have data, and an auto titrating machine takes a lot of guesswork out of it. The older machine you have probably can't give you that kind of feedback. Supplier 2 offers second hand machines with a warranty, but shop around. You won't spend half of what you think, even for new.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great to hear, thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Basic question after night #1 Jskier 33 2,146 01-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Humidifier - Basic information nobody writes about fotjon 1 602 10-15-2023, 02:52 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  New Member with Basic Questions CajunKev 15 1,086 04-20-2023, 03:00 PM
Last Post: CajunKev
Information Oximeter (eg O2Ring) - Fix Time Error - So Simple! DavidEsp 0 726 04-01-2023, 05:57 AM
Last Post: DavidEsp
Question [CPAP] Two basic questions from a newbie minimax 2 506 01-20-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  CPAP function question - basic stuff... Mandrake 11 1,184 01-10-2023, 12:02 PM
Last Post: Mandrake
  simple P30i leak fix hegel 21 2,608 12-16-2022, 04:17 PM
Last Post: YipeekiOH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.