Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Simple, basic, question..too many strings here.
RE: Simple, basic, question..too many strings here.
Check the "useful links" in my signature line at the bottom of this post for info on which machine to get and how to not get screwed as badly in the process.

You can also buy from someone on craigslist. You may have to wait a while to find a good deal. Lots of people want WAY too much money for old, used equipment. I usually see a good, full auto, current model CPAP machine for sale locally for around $300 once a month or more around here.

The usual safety warnings for craigslist apply.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just be aware that purchasing prescription only items without a prescription is illegal in the United States and several other countries. Buying from such places as Craigslist is, technically, illegal. Doesn't stop it from happening though.

If you do decide to go through an online or even local supplier, you will need a prescription for the machine and even the mask (stupid, right??). But any doc can write it. It does not have to be from a sleep doc. If you are paying out of pocket, the supplier doesn't care.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2015, 12:47 PM)Bswans1 Wrote: Hi there.. yes, I had a sleep test and have apnea.

If you know that then you must have heard it from a doctor. Ask that doctor for a prescription and a copy of your sleep study. During your sleep study did they hook you up to a CPAP machine? If so then that report will indicate the pressure. That's the pressure you need to set on your machine. It'll be a number somewhere between 4 and 20.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2015, 12:47 PM)Bswans1 Wrote: Hi there.. yes, I had a sleep test and have apnea. I just don't have the $2000 to fork out right now for a CPAP - especially since there is no guarantee that it will even work for me. So I borrowed a friends older model and it just blows air too hard seemingly all night, I was just trying to figure if I can turn it down at all. Probably not. Not a big deal, was just curious. Thanks..

Bswans1,
You stated you've had a sleep test and know you have apnea. None of us have started therapy with a guarantee that it will work for us, but it's a pretty good bet that the longer you delay therapy, you will end up in worse shape.
Ask your Doctor for a copy of the sleep report, your titrated pressure will be on it.
Also, you can purchase a "gently used" machine...check out Supplier #2.
Good luck to you,
OpalRose

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Basic question after night #1 Jskier 33 2,276 01-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Humidifier - Basic information nobody writes about fotjon 1 631 10-15-2023, 02:52 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  New Member with Basic Questions CajunKev 15 1,152 04-20-2023, 03:00 PM
Last Post: CajunKev
Information Oximeter (eg O2Ring) - Fix Time Error - So Simple! DavidEsp 0 761 04-01-2023, 05:57 AM
Last Post: DavidEsp
Question [CPAP] Two basic questions from a newbie minimax 2 533 01-20-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  CPAP function question - basic stuff... Mandrake 11 1,220 01-10-2023, 12:02 PM
Last Post: Mandrake
  simple P30i leak fix hegel 21 2,711 12-16-2022, 04:17 PM
Last Post: YipeekiOH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.