Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Simplex mask not giving good AHI numbers
Simplex mask not giving good AHI numbers
Hello, I am new to forum but use CPAP for 3 yrs. Like my new Simplex mask but normal AHI is <2 and with Simplex it is >5 typically. My pressure is 11. Do I need to change some settings such as pressure on my Respironics? Mask fit is comfortable with not major leaks. New tubing also. Any suggestions please? Thanks and I appreciate your time.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Simplex mask not giving good AHI numbers
blogel,
Welcom to the forum!
What were you using before the Simplus?
Some report that they need a little higher pressure with a full face mask.

Your profile doesn't say what System One you are using. Is is a Cpap or APAP?

I also notice that your list ResScan as the software you are using. ResScan is only for ResMed cpap's.

You should be using either Encore Basic or Sleepyhead software.

You can access sleepyhead software download by clicking Sleepyhead at top of this page.

Encore software:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...hines-only

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks OpalRose. I have gone up to 14 cm of pressure at the advice of my respiratory therapist but only once, and had no improvement. Maybe I will try this approach again and be more patient. As to software, I use what the machine came with and I just took a guess. I really don't want to fool with the software. My best device is the large nasal cushion but sometimes I get a little claustrophobic with it. It gets my AHI steady from 0 to 2 however. The nasal pillows don't work as well but are very comfortable most of the time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi blogel ,WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
biogel,
I understand if you don't want to mess with software, but it's pretty hard to advise without seeing some data.

An AHI under 5 is considered treated, but the big question is: How do you feel?

You are getting an AHI over 5 using the simplex, and that could be due to mask leaks or mouth breathing. Have you tried mask liners? A chin strap may also help.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi blogel and welcome.

I recently went from a Resmed Quattro Air to the Simplus and it is a big improvement regarding leaks and comfort. However, my AHI went up from consistently below 1 to consistently over 2. No idea why, but it does seem that different masks can give different results. I bumped up my epap a couple of points and that seems to have stabilised things.

On Resmed machines (and I assume it's the same on Respironics) you need to change the mask type if you change between pillows or nasal mask and full face. Also on Respironics machines there's a setting for the intentional leak rate of different masks. It may be you need to make these adjustments. I'm not sure of the details but perhaps somebody with a Respionics can chip in.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 111 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 143 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 335 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 773 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  For anyone who is thinking of giving up on CPAP because of the nuisance...... BigWing 3 366 02-12-2024, 07:04 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  Frustrating insomnia continues despite numbers alienfrontier 10 564 01-27-2024, 02:04 PM
Last Post: alienfrontier
  Poor quality sleep on ASV with good AHI sleepydawg99 8 609 12-19-2023, 12:23 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.