Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Simplus Full Face causing severe dry eye.
Simplus Full Face causing severe dry eye.
I normally use a nasal pillow mask. In the winter, when the furnace runs a lot, I found that my upper nasal area dries out during the night and either I end up sleeping with my mouth open or I pull off the mask. Adjustments to humidity didn't seem to make any difference.   So, I bought a Simplus Full Face mask, which worked great last year.

I started having the same problem about four nights ago, so switched to the Simplus mask.  I am having a lot of problems with air blowing into my eyes, not from a leaky cushion (I have zero leaks), but from the air vent.  This probably happened last year, but this year, I have severe dry eye to start with. Every morning, I'm waking up with significant dry eye.  This morning, I woke up at 4 a.m. with significant eye pain, disconnected the mask and rather than do without entirely, switched to the Dreamwear.  I cannot drive today because everything is blurry due to the dry eye.

Last night, I tried putting on a sleep mask and then the mask, but I couldn't get the fit right.  You can't put the sleep mask OVER the mask because of the plastic piece over the bridge of the nose.  Initially, I thought it was just a ricochet effect off the pillow, but even sleeping on my back results in some breeze to my eyes.  So, I would appreciate anybody's suggestions. 

To repeat, the problem is not a leak, but the airflow from the vent.

edited to add: Did kiwii's test and the leak is through the cushion, not the airflow from the vent. (see below)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Simplus Full Face causing severe dry eye.
I use the RemZzz's liners when using the SimPlus, and the excess that forms an outer edge tends to curl up, adding protection to my eyes in the case of leaks.

However since your air is coming from the vent, I don't know if the liner would block it. But I also cannot see how it is possible for the vent air to be hitting your eyes, since it is directed outwards and in front of you.

Are you certain there is no other source of leakage, perhaps in the hose or at a joint?

edit: I'm going to do some testing with mine... brb

Try using your mask. Place your hands (open, palm out) on either side of your nose. Do you feel any air hitting your palms?

If so, maybe try cleaning the vent with a soft brush. On mine, the air from the vent does not go in that direction at all, so something has to be causing the air in yours to be diverting towards your face.

If not, then the air is coming from something else. For me, I got a nice little blast from the cushion right alongside the bridge of my nose. I hadn't used the RemZzz, and had just put the mask on without much prep.

Hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't use your FFM so I can't help you there. But, in the meantime, until you get that fixed, there is some nightime protection for dry eyes that I have found works - Systane Gel Nightime Protection. 1 or 2 drops in each eye before you go to bed. Available virtually everywhere, grocery stores, drug stores, etc...

I would also encourage you to see the other Dry eye threads for ideas until you get it fixed. Just do a search for Dry eyes.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
kiwii, I did your suggested test and you are correct! It really is coming out of the cushion and not the vent holes! My bro has a package of those liners, although I'm not sure if it will fit mine (he uses a large and I use a small), but I'll give it a shot tonight and see how it goes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mosquitobait,
Mabye the liners can be trimmed down a little to fit your mask, or find some soft material and cut to fit.

I second the Systane Eye Products. I have very dry eyes and the least bit of air directed at my eyes makes for misery by morning. I use their nighttime ointment.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-06-2018, 01:58 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: You can't put the sleep mask OVER the mask because of the plastic piece over the bridge of the nose.

My sleep mask is the type where the straps fasten with velcro behind the head. I put my Simplus mask on first. Then I thread the sleep mask under that plastic piece that goes over the bridge of my nose. Works great.

It's weird that the exhaust port blows air in your eyes. The direction of the air flow is out away from the face. I don't see how it can end up in your eyes.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I sleep with a hose hanger above the headboard on my bed. Occasionally the hose will slide backward through the hoops on my hanger and the swivel will point upwards in relation to the mask. If my head position is forward as well it brings the swivel closer to the mask vent. This causes noise as well as some disturbances in the air directly in front of my eyes. I haven't had dry eyes myself, but the noise from the air blasting the swivel/hose adapter/hose assembly is enough to cause me to have to reposition.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Good luck! I hope the liners help, or one of the other suggestions that you've received.
Post Reply Post Reply
i find the AirFitit F20 to be free of leaks at the bridge of the nose and the location of the vent does not direct air towards the eye. I have suffered from severe dry eye for years. It is not aggravated by thr F20.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use the Simplus and can't see how the air from the vent could be blowing into your eyes, unless your face is a very different shape from mine. (For your sake it would be good if it is different Smile ).

I get air leaking up the side of my nose and blowing into my eyes. It's only a small amount - not enough to register as a leak - but it extremely annoying. An easy way to overcome this is to use DB's patented nose-leak seal: Take a piece of soft fabric (eg flannelette) 15cm x 9 cm and fold it so you end up with a strip 15 x 3 cm and 3 layers thick. Drape this over the bridge of your nose with the ends hanging down on your cheeks. Now carefully place the mask so that the fabric sits between the silicon and your skin (easier to do than describe). This will give you a nice tight seal without needing to do up the straps too tight. I've been using this for years - works for me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 451 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 13 279 03-12-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,454 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Cpap causing Central Apneas shedu1337 1 253 02-24-2024, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 679 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 366 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 405 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.