Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P | Simplus Full Face
Humidifier: Integrated in AirSense10
CPAP Pressure: 14
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
Simplus, Leaking After Pressure Reached
Hello, I'm new to both CPAP therapy and the group.

I have been lurking all week as I started my journey 1 week ago. I have already gathered great information, and fully appreciate everyone's feedback and experiences.

I have been averaging only about 4.5 hrs of "mask time" each night out of about 6 hrs of bed time. I keep waking in the middle of the night with side leaks or "chin" leaks while breathing in, not out. It's when the system is at "max" pressure, inhaling well after ramp-up is complete.

I've messed with straps and position, but maybe I'm not approaching it correctly... Tighten, loosen, adjust position on face up/down???

I searched for leaks at pressure, and Simplus, etc... but most were nose leaks or similar. This seems specific to max pressure and lower side leaks...

Thanks again for having this forum, and I look forward to gathering more intel from everyone!

Thanks
01-22-2016 11:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PoolQ Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: AirCurve 10 VAUTO
Mask Make & Model: Amara View
Humidifier: Integrated
CPAP Pressure: 6.2, 15, PS4.0
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

RE: Simplus, Leaking After Pressure Reached
Not surprised that it happens when breathing in. The CPAP tries to keep the pressure in the mask constant, at least short term. When you exhale you are actually increasing the pressure in the mask so the blower slows down. When you inhale you are lowering the pressure in the mask and the blower tries like crazy to keep the pressure up.

I used the Simplus for quite a while and it's still my back up. What I noticed was I needed to make very small adjustments to find the sweet spot (1/8" at a time). the top straps and the bottom straps can cause the mask to rock about in the middle, over tighten the bottom and cause leaks at the top. Usually you will hear that they must be worn lose, lifted once the pressure is on, and release to settle in place with inflated silicon gasket.
I found that leaking only with breathing meant I needed to very slightly all four straps YMMV
01-22-2016 01:14 PM
49er Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: VPAP-S
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Sleep Weaver Elan Soft Cloth Nasal Mask
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 13.6/9.6

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed
(01-22-2016 11:48 AM)cuervo1800 Wrote:  Hello, I'm new to both CPAP therapy and the group.

I have been lurking all week as I started my journey 1 week ago. I have already gathered great information, and fully appreciate everyone's feedback and experiences.

I have been averaging only about 4.5 hrs of "mask time" each night out of about 6 hrs of bed time. I keep waking in the middle of the night with side leaks or "chin" leaks while breathing in, not out. It's when the system is at "max" pressure, inhaling well after ramp-up is complete.

I've messed with straps and position, but maybe I'm not approaching it correctly... Tighten, loosen, adjust position on face up/down???

I searched for leaks at pressure, and Simplus, etc... but most were nose leaks or similar. This seems specific to max pressure and lower side leaks...

Thanks again for having this forum, and I look forward to gathering more intel from everyone!

Thanks

Hi cuervo1800,

What you might want to do is before you put the mask on, adjust your machine to the maximum pressure you have it set for. I assume you have an auto range based on what you mentioned in your post even though your signature profile says 14 for CPAP right?

If you don't know how to change the pressure, here is the link to get your setup manual.

http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

After you have changed the machine to the high number, put the Simplus on and lay down with the bottom straps as loose as possible. Make sure the top straps adequately fit but aren't overly tightened.

Turn on the machine and let the cushion inflate. Equally tighten the lower straps on both sides until the leaks disappear. One trick I learned with the Simplus (my backup mask) that you might want to try if you're still having leak problems is to pull the mask away from your face and then reseat it.

Once you are satisfied with the right position, readjust the machine to the lower figure.

If you need more assistance, look for Simplus mask fitting videos on You Tube to see if anything is helpful.

Best of luck.

49er
01-22-2016 01:19 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
cuervo1800 Offline

New Members

Machine: AirSense10 Auto
Mask Make & Model: F&P | Simplus Full Face
Humidifier: Integrated in AirSense10
CPAP Pressure: 14

Other Comments:

Great. Thanks. I'll try to start over with the loose mask this evening and see where I can get it. I'll also look for some of those videos that are mentioned.
01-22-2016 03:22 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

The Simplus also sits lower than other ffms. Make sure you have the right size for your face, too. I found that the Simplus was best at a size smaller than the other masks I had tried. In them, I needed a medium. But I use a small with this one.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-22-2016 05:24 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Your machine has a mask fit feature. I do not remember how to activate it but it will give you max usage pressure to fit your mask to.

The chin seal on the Simplus does not conform over as wide a range of seal extension as does my Mirage Quattro mask. I have to be more careful with the Simplus to prevent inadvertent chin leaks. I find that I need to ensure that I am not tucking my chin into my chest and move my lower jaw very little.

If your lower jaw is falling back when relaxed then an upper and lower mouthguard might help keep your chin more forward and reduce chin leaks.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
01-22-2016 06:19 PM
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi cuervo1800,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy, Hang in there for more suggestions.

trish6hundred
01-22-2016 09:11 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

I started with the large and switched to the medium because my chin slipped inside of the large. If the Simplus mask slides down your face far enough so that it slips over your chin, the size is too large. I found that the large fit me ok, but the medium fit much much better.

It could also be that due to the shape of your face a different mask may fit you better. It's very common to have to try out several different masks before finding a good one. Equipment providers and insurance companies make provisions for this, so don't hesitate to contact them for a fitting of a different mask.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-23-2016 02:15 AM
Ghost1958 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PRS1 Series Sixty Auto Aflex
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Eson
Humidifier: PRS1 with Heated Hose
CPAP Pressure: 10.5 min 16 max
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Moderate to Severe SA Obstructive. Rapid O2 desat off the machine.

The simplus rides low. Also you want the top straps loose enough to just about slide a finger tip behind the upright. That allows the roll fit cushion to do its thing.
Mostly you tension a simplus with the lower straps.
01-23-2016 08:42 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0

Other Comments:

(01-23-2016 08:42 AM)Ghost1958 Wrote:  ...Also you want the top straps loose enough to just about slide a finger tip behind the upright. That allows the roll fit cushion to do its thing....

That is good advice for most people but it does not hold for everyone. It is probably a good idea to check the roll fit cushion on your face, in a mirror. It depends a lot on how recessed the bridge of your nose is. I had to tighten it up a fair amount to eliminate the leaks around the bridge of my nose.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2016 01:52 PM by PaytonA.)
01-23-2016 01:51 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  swift mask 'leak' noise--but not leaking... hegel 11 749 11-27-2016 09:53 PM
Last Post: Dangerous Dave
  Not mouth breathing but air leaking between lips Roy289 20 665 11-11-2016 07:19 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Which disturbs sleep most? High Pressure or Changing Pressure Rcgop 7 1,259 11-10-2016 07:37 PM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore
  New F&P Simplus user Roy289 18 762 10-18-2016 10:35 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Problem with Resmed Swift FX mask/hose leaking Dangerous Dave 1 239 10-13-2016 10:26 PM
Last Post: KSMatthew
  Simplus FFM Pulls Upwards to Eyes During Sleep SleepySleeps 7 416 09-27-2016 03:14 AM
Last Post: rich2905
  BIG change in leaking status TheLionSleeps 5 462 09-17-2016 06:05 PM
Last Post: Rcgop