Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Simplus, Leaking After Pressure Reached
Simplus, Leaking After Pressure Reached
Hello, I'm new to both CPAP therapy and the group.

I have been lurking all week as I started my journey 1 week ago. I have already gathered great information, and fully appreciate everyone's feedback and experiences.

I have been averaging only about 4.5 hrs of "mask time" each night out of about 6 hrs of bed time. I keep waking in the middle of the night with side leaks or "chin" leaks while breathing in, not out. It's when the system is at "max" pressure, inhaling well after ramp-up is complete.

I've messed with straps and position, but maybe I'm not approaching it correctly... Tighten, loosen, adjust position on face up/down???

I searched for leaks at pressure, and Simplus, etc... but most were nose leaks or similar. This seems specific to max pressure and lower side leaks...

Thanks again for having this forum, and I look forward to gathering more intel from everyone!

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Simplus, Leaking After Pressure Reached
Not surprised that it happens when breathing in. The CPAP tries to keep the pressure in the mask constant, at least short term. When you exhale you are actually increasing the pressure in the mask so the blower slows down. When you inhale you are lowering the pressure in the mask and the blower tries like crazy to keep the pressure up.

I used the Simplus for quite a while and it's still my back up. What I noticed was I needed to make very small adjustments to find the sweet spot (1/8" at a time). the top straps and the bottom straps can cause the mask to rock about in the middle, over tighten the bottom and cause leaks at the top. Usually you will hear that they must be worn lose, lifted once the pressure is on, and release to settle in place with inflated silicon gasket.
I found that leaking only with breathing meant I needed to very slightly all four straps YMMV
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2016, 11:48 AM)cuervo1800 Wrote: Hello, I'm new to both CPAP therapy and the group.

I have been lurking all week as I started my journey 1 week ago. I have already gathered great information, and fully appreciate everyone's feedback and experiences.

I have been averaging only about 4.5 hrs of "mask time" each night out of about 6 hrs of bed time. I keep waking in the middle of the night with side leaks or "chin" leaks while breathing in, not out. It's when the system is at "max" pressure, inhaling well after ramp-up is complete.

I've messed with straps and position, but maybe I'm not approaching it correctly... Tighten, loosen, adjust position on face up/down???

I searched for leaks at pressure, and Simplus, etc... but most were nose leaks or similar. This seems specific to max pressure and lower side leaks...

Thanks again for having this forum, and I look forward to gathering more intel from everyone!

Thanks

Hi cuervo1800,

What you might want to do is before you put the mask on, adjust your machine to the maximum pressure you have it set for. I assume you have an auto range based on what you mentioned in your post even though your signature profile says 14 for CPAP right?

If you don't know how to change the pressure, here is the link to get your setup manual.

http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

After you have changed the machine to the high number, put the Simplus on and lay down with the bottom straps as loose as possible. Make sure the top straps adequately fit but aren't overly tightened.

Turn on the machine and let the cushion inflate. Equally tighten the lower straps on both sides until the leaks disappear. One trick I learned with the Simplus (my backup mask) that you might want to try if you're still having leak problems is to pull the mask away from your face and then reseat it.

Once you are satisfied with the right position, readjust the machine to the lower figure.

If you need more assistance, look for Simplus mask fitting videos on You Tube to see if anything is helpful.

Best of luck.

49er
Post Reply Post Reply
Great. Thanks. I'll try to start over with the loose mask this evening and see where I can get it. I'll also look for some of those videos that are mentioned.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Simplus also sits lower than other ffms. Make sure you have the right size for your face, too. I found that the Simplus was best at a size smaller than the other masks I had tried. In them, I needed a medium. But I use a small with this one.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Your machine has a mask fit feature. I do not remember how to activate it but it will give you max usage pressure to fit your mask to.

The chin seal on the Simplus does not conform over as wide a range of seal extension as does my Mirage Quattro mask. I have to be more careful with the Simplus to prevent inadvertent chin leaks. I find that I need to ensure that I am not tucking my chin into my chest and move my lower jaw very little.

If your lower jaw is falling back when relaxed then an upper and lower mouthguard might help keep your chin more forward and reduce chin leaks.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi cuervo1800,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy, Hang in there for more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I started with the large and switched to the medium because my chin slipped inside of the large. If the Simplus mask slides down your face far enough so that it slips over your chin, the size is too large. I found that the large fit me ok, but the medium fit much much better.

It could also be that due to the shape of your face a different mask may fit you better. It's very common to have to try out several different masks before finding a good one. Equipment providers and insurance companies make provisions for this, so don't hesitate to contact them for a fitting of a different mask.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The simplus rides low. Also you want the top straps loose enough to just about slide a finger tip behind the upright. That allows the roll fit cushion to do its thing.
Mostly you tension a simplus with the lower straps.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2016, 08:42 AM)Ghost1958 Wrote: ...Also you want the top straps loose enough to just about slide a finger tip behind the upright. That allows the roll fit cushion to do its thing....

That is good advice for most people but it does not hold for everyone. It is probably a good idea to check the roll fit cushion on your face, in a mirror. It depends a lot on how recessed the bridge of your nose is. I had to tighten it up a fair amount to eliminate the leaks around the bridge of my nose.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 371 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  ResMed Airsense N30i elbow leaking? Elton525 2 342 02-13-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Elton525
  Was doing well, AHI slightly higher, lots of leaking between 4-5am. jkang9080 4 565 12-14-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Equipment] I have to CRANK down my full face mask to prevent leaking. What am I doing wrong? srwilsn3 17 1,460 12-13-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,640 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  leaking water tank ( Airsense 10) migos 2 520 09-16-2023, 06:21 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 923 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.