Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Simulate sleep test?
Simulate sleep test?
    I am new to forum.  The original sleep test that resulted in CPAP usage was many years ago.  Using my CPAP, I was trying to reduce the settings to make it as "invisible" as possible to see what my AHI etc might be without CPAP.  Attached are my settings and results.  I am not sure I got the settings in the least operational position.  Can someone advise if my idea worked or if  should have used other settings.  Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Simulate sleep test?
Given the way the pressure bounces all over, it's clear you need the bilevel...

But to carry out your experiment, you'll want to set the PS to 0 and min EPR to 4 - as you've done; but you also need to set the max IPAP to 4. That will give you the minimum pressure the vAuto can do all night. It's not the same as no pressure, but it might give you an idea.

Happy experimenting!
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for reply.  I was targeting the low AHI level as THE criteria for CPAP need.  But your input re: pressure being "all over" is new to me as well as the fact that the pressure has wide swings even though the AHI's are low shows I need the bi-level.... if I've got that right, it's important to know. Target pressure should be relatively low then... like 7 to 11 without spikes?

My pressure swings are consistent but I can stop the peaks by setting min EPAP=7; Max IPAP=14; PS=4 or similar.

I will make the adjustment you recommended and see what it produces..sort of a base line.  If you can give me any other pointers that would be helpful, I would be grateful.  If you know of any reference material that would help me fine-tune settings and understand what I am doing, that would be super.  It's hard to know which combination of factors is useful....appreciate your input.
Post Reply Post Reply
You may also want to consider getting a recording oxygen saturation meter and seeing what it says both with and without the CPAP on. "Normal" people do not have drops in O2 saturation. My suggestion would be to get readings without the CPAP (or with at the low setting suggested above) for at least 5 nights, preferably more.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Oh good grief! Set your machine to Vauto mode, EPAP min 7.0, Max Pressure 14.0, PS 4.0, then stand by to see the difference! Avoid extra pillows and chin-tucking.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Excellent advice - I will order the meter and look forward to results.  Am so tired during the day…this may be a clue.  Thank you so much.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 4 129 Yesterday, 05:55 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 166 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 134 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  Self-administered sleep test? BlueSky1958 6 214 02-29-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 209 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 884 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  Home Sleep apnea test xaid 5 869 02-21-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: BDayton

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.