Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sinus Infection
Sinus Infection
Hello. I am a newbie. I have had my cpap for 6 days now. Currently, the mask I am using is the Eson nasal mask. During the night the mask shifts upward a bit and butts up right against my nose. Now I am developing a sore on one of my nostrils, there is a little bit of blood when I blow my nose and some icky discharge that could be a sinus infection.

My question is do I continue to use the machine if I have a sinus infection or sore on my nose where the mask rubs.

I get little or no help from the DME, I have not seen the sleep doc yet. My GP ordered the sleep tests. So I do not know who to ask for help. BTW, thank you for all of your helpful information. There are a lot of features of the machine that the DME never bothered to explain. Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sinus Infection
Hi Deanna,

You want to treat that sore before it becomes a bigger issue for you. What you want to do is pick up a tube of HPA Lanolin from the baby isle department at your local pharmacy. Put a very small amount of it on your nose before you go to bed.

Are you using a humidifier? At what setting?

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2014, 11:32 AM)retired_guy Wrote: Hi Deanna,

You want to treat that sore before it becomes a bigger issue for you. What you want to do is pick up a tube of HPA Lanolin from the baby isle department at your local pharmacy. Put a very small amount of it on your nose before you go to bed.

Are you using a humidifier? At what setting?

I have the humidifier set at 3.5 and the heat set at 80 degrees. I just found out from this board how to go into clinician mode and change setting so I could adjust humidity. The DME had that feature "turned off".
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi DeannaM,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
The HPA Lanolin will help that soar spot on your nose.
It's great to hear that you are figuring out the settings and taking CPAP therapy into your own hands.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2014, 11:17 AM)DeannaM Wrote: My question is do I continue to use the machine if I have a sinus infection or sore on my nose where the mask rubs.
See your GP about any sinus infection. Mask liner helps with the rubbing on the nose but that also might mean the cushion is wrong size, mask not fitted correctly or even the mask is not the right choice. Trial a different mask until you find the right on, not unusual to trial different masks, have you tried nasal pillows masks? Wash the cushion every day does helps with the seal, I use chinstrap over the mask, helps keeps the mask in place during the night

Ask for the heated tube (ClimateLine), on auto mode, you can adjust temp to your preference and no rainout (water in tube)

Post Reply Post Reply
Okay! I am getting some great advice. How do I get a different mask? When I met with the DME, I tried a nasal pillow, it did not fit right and she was not pleased that she would have to throw it away because it was in my nose. So we went with the one the sleep tech recommended? Do I ask her for a different one? She implied that I have to stick with the one that was given to me. It seems to be a good one, but I think it is too big for my nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is normal for new CPAP clients (NOT PATIENTS -- you are the DME's CLIENT) to need to try a variety of masks to find the right and perfect one for them. So don't let her being "not pleased" that she was going to have to throw something away discourage you. She'll actually just return the mask for credit back to her supplier.

Now, about the pillows.... I don't know which pillows mask she tried on you but a crowd pleaser around here is the Resmed P10. There are a number of different pillow sizes and many of us have discovered it works wonderfully when we use one size larger than we really think we need. So there's that....

Also many around here like the full face masks such as the Resmed F10. Or the new nasal mask the Resmed N10.

So shop the masks and don't listen to anybody telling you that you have to "stay with," any particular mask... You do not...

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2014, 12:44 PM)DeannaM Wrote: How do I get a different mask?
As retired_guy said, your DME return the mask to the manufacturer
Most manufacturers allows the patient to return the mask within 30 days

Replacement schedule per insurance and Medicare
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...6_Medicare

Edit: ResMed Gecko nasal pads can helps with the sore on the bridge of your nose
http://www.resmed.com/ap/products/gecko_...c=patients

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2014, 12:44 PM)DeannaM Wrote: Okay! I am getting some great advice. How do I get a different mask? When I met with the DME, I tried a nasal pillow, it did not fit right and she was not pleased that she would have to throw it away because it was in my nose. So we went with the one the sleep tech recommended? Do I ask her for a different one? She implied that I have to stick with the one that was given to me. It seems to be a good one, but I think it is too big for my nose.

The other option is that you can actually buy any mask that you think would work, over the internet. Many of the places allow xx day return policy, some for a small up-front fee.

There are tons more masks than your DME has to offer and I'm sure you'll find at least one that works for you, even if you have to pay for it. (they typically run $60-$120 online)

Terry

Post Reply Post Reply
The ResMed P10 is an excellent mask - and Retired Guy is right when he says not to be dissuaded by anyone; just choose what's comfortable for you (it's your nose, after all).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 9 187 03-26-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Luka07
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 196 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  Sinus issues during therapy befoulmetalroosa 1 343 11-17-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Sinus infection / recovering from surgery rpierce 0 350 08-24-2023, 12:18 PM
Last Post: rpierce
  Humidity and Sinus Infection Columbiabill 2 591 06-04-2023, 03:03 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  New user with sinus headaches SnoNoMo 6 907 04-20-2023, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Constant sinus headache getzall 3 557 02-20-2023, 11:53 AM
Last Post: getzall

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.