Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sinus Infection can't use Cpap
Sinus Infection can't use Cpap
How do you deal with a Sinus infection while using c-pap? I have one and I am having a hard time using it. Have had to sleep without for several nights.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sinus Infection can't use Cpap
I switch to using Circadian masks when I have a sinus infection and continue to use the cpap. However, if the air is causing agonizing pain, then do what you are doing and sleep on your side. Flonase, if appropriate, may also help, but ask your doc first. It is now sold over the counter, so you can buy it.

Most people can get through the average sinus infection without antibiotics or even seeing a doctors. I lived on ibuprofen. However, if you have diabetes, you should see the doctor unless you are told otherwise because it can easily get out of hand.
Post Reply Post Reply
Individuals with sinus infections may find that nasal saline rinses may help reduce the congestion, as well as removing some of the infectious matter. You could discuss with your doc if this might be helpful, or maybe try one of the over the counter options from your local pharmacy to see if it might help you.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
By coincidence I just spent an hour or more on YouTube watching videos to naturally relieve sinus congestion and/or infection. Here are some of the natural methods I felt most worthy of trying (probably best a combination of it all):

- Use one finger to apply pressure at the bridge of your nose (where the nose meets the forehead for 45 seconds while in an upright or semi upright position (there are also face massage methods you can find videos for)
- Use a Neti Pot, or even better a NeilMed sinus rinse with a saline solution (WalMart should have these) to flush out yucky stuff
- Make a mixture of water (or coconut water), apple cider vinegar, honey, lemon juice and cayenne pepper and drink twice daily to help cure the infection.
-If you can find herbal extracts you can put six drops each of cinnamon, thyme and cloves into steaming hot water and inhale for some minutes. This is supposed to kill the bacteria that cause the infection

Since I'm rather new to CPAP I don't have any better advice for using it with a sinus infection, other than trying to get rid of it asap. Good luck.

Also, since you're using a nasal pillow you could try nasal strips to keep the airways open
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had several sinus infections, some pretty nasty since I started this in 2008. I have always been able to use the nasal pillows, and they opened up my sinuses. It is the best I feel all day if I'm sick. Turn up the humidifier, make yourself as comfortable as possible, and give the pressure enough time to work its magic. Pain relievers and decongestants are okay.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 9 187 03-26-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Luka07
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  Sinus issues during therapy befoulmetalroosa 1 343 11-17-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Sinus infection / recovering from surgery rpierce 0 349 08-24-2023, 12:18 PM
Last Post: rpierce
  Humidity and Sinus Infection Columbiabill 2 591 06-04-2023, 03:03 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  New user with sinus headaches SnoNoMo 6 907 04-20-2023, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Constant sinus headache getzall 3 557 02-20-2023, 11:53 AM
Last Post: getzall

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.