Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sinus Infection
RE: Sinus Infection
(05-13-2013, 09:32 AM)Shastzi Wrote: Mmmhmmm.
I started using the FitLife mask because it maintains hose pressure on your eyeballs.
My eyeballs started swelling up real bad after each night's treatment.
That might give you some relief *if* you can wear that total face mask without leaks.

I have a FitLife Total Face Mask, in its newly available (as of about a year ago, I think) Extra Large size.

I would strongly suggest downsizing the headgear, though.

The Extra Large size mask is barely large enough for my face, but the headgear which came with it is incredibly, ridiculously, absurdly too large. I have an oversized head (which, no doubt, some on this forum may have already noted) but the Extra Large headgear on the FitLife is way, way, way too big even for me.

And yes, because of its large size, I think controlling leaks on a Total Face Mask like the FitLife is harder than on smaller masks.

But it is good for giving the bridge of my nose a vacation once in a while, since it does not touch the nose at all. And it is one of the most economical masks around.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mucinex is mostly to help clear out mucous by making it more liquid. It will do little to help with an infection or swelling, but it might help a little by clearing out mucous. It's really more for your lungs than your nose.

Neilmed Sinus Rinse might help some as well.

Cleaning your mask is a good idea in general, but it's not going to make much difference in the course of whatever infection you have. You have billions of the germs involved living inside your nose and your body. A few more coming back from your mask is not going to make much of a difference.

Lying on your right side may help reduce swelling in the left side of nose. I find I have to try a lot of positions before I find the right position to help drain my sinuses.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
You may want to investigate an allergen filter for your machine. It stops a lot more dust than the ordinary filter which is next to useless. Its tree pollen time here in Britain

I have tried Jali Neti, its soothing but doesn't get deep enough into the passageways. Antibiotics work but it comes back, nasal sprays do some good as long as you keep using them but its only temporary.

Where next? that's the question
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2013, 02:37 PM)Vince Green Wrote: You may want to investigate an allergen filter for your machine. It stops a lot more dust than the ordinary filter which is next to useless. Its tree pollen time here in Britain

I have tried Jali Neti, its soothing but doesn't get deep enough into the passageways. Antibiotics work but it comes back, nasal sprays do some good as long as you keep using them but its only temporary.

Where next? that's the question

Good idea! It's pine pollen season here in the Great Northwest. Our cars are covered in yellow pollen each morning. I was tested as a teen for a bunch of allergies. My friend and I had made tunnels in this tall grass in this field near his house and I noticed my eyes and skin were itching. By the time we got back to his house, my eyes had almost completely swelled shut. They do these panel prick tests on your back and wait to see what puffs up and turns red. I reacted to so many things strongly that they had to give me some kinda steroid shot in my butt cheek before letting me leave the hospital. Apparently I am allergic to this planet and I get daily reminders from food, plants, and animals. I don't take any meds for it, except the occasional Zyrtec during the summer if it gets really bad. My throat gets congested and itchy after almost every meal I eat. It's just something you learn to live with.

Don't feel too sorry for me, from the photos you can clearly see I rarely miss a meal. lol btw, the mucinex is really making a difference. The infection seems to be clearing up. I am going to give it a few more days before going in for antibiotics. I haven't had to take antibiotics in several years. Would like to try and beat this with my own immune system.

As far as the neti pots rinse thingy, I am a little weary of that because of those brain eating parasite rumors. I really like swimming at the lake but I make sure not to stay too close to shore in the warmer bacteria filled water because of those stories.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't worry about the brain eating parasites, that only happens in places where they have dodgy water supplies like India. However, they do recommend you use boiled water just to be on the safe side.
My nose rinsing routine is this, boil a good full kettle of water and pour a pint into a measuring jug. Add 3/4 of a teaspoon of salt (not table salt, that has additives) stir and leave it to cool. Cooling takes about half an hour which you can determine experimentally. After the first time you can set the kitchen timer (if you have one) or the alarm clock on your cell phone to go off after the required interval has expired. You want the water to be body temperature or a couple of degrees warmer. I prefer a bit warmer but don't burn your nose its sensitive.

Then pour some of your pint of warm salty water into the pot and start rinsing, keep topping up and rinsing till its all gone. You can buy the pots on ebay for about $5 so its not going to break the bank. There are how to do it videos on youtube
Post Reply Post Reply
Whatever that sinus pressure was, it went bye bye all by itself. No antibiotics, nothing. Well, an Excedrin but that was only one, not a dose of two. I guess the curry did it. TG no antibiotics for me. I have only had one sinus infection in my entire life a year or so ago. I don't expect another any time soon. I do have a weird sensitive body. It is a blooming Spring/Summer here full of blossoms.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well it's been two days since I have felt any discomfort behind my left eye. I guess it's all cleared up. I didn't go in for antibiotics. Mucinex, Zyrtec, and a couple of Tylenol was pretty much it.

It looked pretty bad there for a while. I was sure I would have to go in. Guess I lucked out.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2013, 02:58 PM)Vince Green Wrote: Don't worry about the brain eating parasites, that only happens in places where they have dodgy water supplies like India. However, they do recommend you use boiled water just to be on the safe side.
My nose rinsing routine is this, boil a good full kettle of water and pour a pint into a measuring jug. Add 3/4 of a teaspoon of salt (not table salt, that has additives) stir and leave it to cool. Cooling takes about half an hour which you can determine experimentally. After the first time you can set the kitchen timer (if you have one) or the alarm clock on your cell phone to go off after the required interval has expired. You want the water to be body temperature or a couple of degrees warmer. I prefer a bit warmer but don't burn your nose its sensitive.

Then pour some of your pint of warm salty water into the pot and start rinsing, keep topping up and rinsing till its all gone. You can buy the pots on ebay for about $5 so its not going to break the bank. There are how to do it videos on youtube

Oh, we have some excellent brain eating protozoans down here in sunny Florida!
If you want to use a Netty down here, I'd go with distilled water and boil it anyway before mixing the salt in. Why? Because the natural water supplies are often contaminated with industrial waste (Palm Beach County) and/or arsenic (among other things)

So if you are going to pour water in your snout, be sure to play safe kids!

Cheers!

Smile

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 9 185 03-26-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Luka07
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  Sinus issues during therapy befoulmetalroosa 1 343 11-17-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Sinus infection / recovering from surgery rpierce 0 349 08-24-2023, 12:18 PM
Last Post: rpierce
  Humidity and Sinus Infection Columbiabill 2 591 06-04-2023, 03:03 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  New user with sinus headaches SnoNoMo 6 906 04-20-2023, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Constant sinus headache getzall 3 557 02-20-2023, 11:53 AM
Last Post: getzall

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.