Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sinus "Issues"
Sinus "Issues"
I've been in treatment for 12 years now, but its only been the past 12 months or so that I have been having problems with my sinuses.  When out of bed, up and about, I have no problems, but as soon as I put the machine on, the air blowing through my nose seems to trigger a reaction, and my sinuses want to repel all invaders.  I change filters more often than I need to, and I dont otherwise have a problem with sinuses (except for the 30 minutes or so after I wake, blowing my nose to clear all blockages.).  The problem, really, is that I am getting far less sleep than I used to and I am hoping that someone else may have found a solution.

Here's what I have tried so far
1) Frequent filter changes (this is ongoing, of course)
2) Zyrtec (sends me gaga, I've become very sensitive to it, and it no longer works)
3) Telfast (did nothing at all)
4) Claratyne (did nothing at all)
5) Phenergan (like zyrtec, sends me gaga, but doesnt do much for the sinuses)
6) Decongestant cough medicine (designed for coughs, but works as a nasal decongestant... just not for more than a few nights)
7) I have a humidifier but stopped using it.  Every time I restart, it makes the problem worse.

Its frustrating because my sleep patterns have really suffered, basically I get 3-4 hours at night and then need to have another couple of hours in daytime, and then I drop off in front of the TV in the evening, and the cycle starts again.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sinus "Issues"
replying mostly to give it a bump for others to respond.

does the condition change with the seasons? I think the usual response for this is to vary hose temp and humidity. higher or lower seems to depend on the individual and their environment. did you try the auto settings? and experiment with various manual settings?
Post Reply Post Reply
congestion is a big dark pit for me. I have learned that pressure = congestion, but with CPAP that is not always true. For me it changes with time of year and many many other things. I just shift what I am doing. humidity, temperature, aroma therapy oils, breathe right strips. and everything else I can find. I use what works for the moment and change when it stops working.
Post Reply Post Reply
I still don't understand what your problem is. What are these 'issues' ?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, all.
@sheepless: as stated, humidifier makes things worse, regardless of time of year. And no, its not seasonal, its just always
@PoolQ: Yeah thats pretty much where I am at. Guess I'll start at the beginning of the list and work my way through again. Congestion sucks. I forgot about the strips, have some in a drawer somewhere.
@crowtor: Its a bit of an issue not being able to breathe due to sinusitis and congestion. Tends to wake one up at inconvenient times. Only lasted 2 hours tonight, I'll get another couple later on.

I'm also looking at buying a new machine. Mine is remarkably fine, given its age (its been tested, recalibrated etc) but I want to buy one which will let me see whether the therapy is actually working for me, and I cannot source a reader for the smartcard in my machine (and I dont use Windows computers anyway, so am needing something Sleepyhead compatible)... but thats all for another thread and much reading in the hardware section.
Post Reply Post Reply
Kyteflyer, I didn't miss that as stated the humidifier makes things worse. I was asking to confirm if you had tried various settings for both humidifier and hose temp, assuming your machine has these options. you may be absolutely correct that they don't make a difference for you but they are the most common machine variables for stuffy or runny nose. don't know if you have a heated hose or if your machine has hose temp capability but that can be a significant factor, maybe more so than humidity. a hose sleeve might also be worth trying. I hope you find a remedy.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-06-2018, 01:38 PM)sheepless Wrote: Kyteflyer, I didn't miss that as stated the humidifier makes things worse.  I was asking to confirm if you had tried various settings for both humidifier and hose temp, assuming your machine has these options.  you may be absolutely correct that they don't make a difference for you but they are the most common machine variables for stuffy or runny nose.  don't know if you have a heated hose or if your machine has hose temp capability but that can be a significant factor, maybe more so than humidity.  a hose sleeve might also be worth trying. I hope you find a remedy.

Oh sorry, yes I have tried various settings for the humidifier, but cannot control the hose temp because that wasnt an option with my machine.  heated hoses didnt come til later.  I do have a hose sleeve which goes on in winter when/if I am using the humidifier, its fairly efficient at dealing with rainout but I stopped using it a year ago, and its not really needed in summer (I could do with a cooling system, the humidified air in our summer is just awful, so stuffy)
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks for clarifying. that's all I have so I hope others will have more useful feedback for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-06-2018, 02:10 PM)sheepless Wrote: thanks for clarifying. that's all I have so I hope others will have more useful feedback for you.

Thanks for your suggestions.  I rather fear I'm at the end of the line.  Never know, new machine might bring a new lease on life.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, Have you tried saline flush and topical cotocosteroid spays like OTC Flonase or Nasocort.
It helps. Let me know if you want more info.

Dan
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 10 211 3 hours ago
Last Post: Luka07
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 54 Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 110 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Airsense 10 Issues cgries2448 0 157 03-09-2024, 03:31 PM
Last Post: cgries2448
  issues during REM sleep... ifsmithy 5 217 03-04-2024, 12:09 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 253 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.