Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sinus "Issues"
RE: Sinus "Issues"
I have been having sinus issues including pain and ran across a blog by a physician, Dr Stephen Park, that suggested CPAP users may experience reflux during obstructive apneas, potentially causing sinus issues. As a result, I have recently started sleeping with my head elevated and avoiding any food after 8 pm. It’s probably to early to claim victory, but I am waking up refreshed and my sinuses feel much better.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have found after only a month of CPAP that there is a direct improvement of reflux (Gerd). My heartburn has all but stopped, and I no longer use the prescribed meds or antacids. My sinuses have always been a problem causing me to mouth breath. I recently started using Azelastine nasal spray which has helped open my sinuses so I can nose breath while using CPAP. I think having the CPAP pressure while breathing through my nose has also helped keep my sinuses open, but I am not sure what affect eliminating reflux has on blocked sinuses, but in my case both problems have improved with CPAP therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sad 
Sinus and lung issues
I’ve touched on this in the past, and people have suggested various remedies... I’ve tried humidification, and nasal sprays but neither help (in fact, humidification makes it worse)... “It” being that I get a really savage response to the rushing air through my nasal passages, and that then gets blown into my lungs overnight, and I’m finding increasing difficulty breathing when I wake up, and my nose runs like a tap for a couple of hours after.  Today I had to have ventolin after failing to be able to get rid of the junk in my airways by just coughing... the ventolin helped me to get under it.  I’m clear now, and will remain so until I have to sleep again.  

Please can someone suggest something other than xPAP for my apneas?  I don’t want to have to swallow pills nightly, but maybe thats a possible solution. I’m almost at the point of giving up on treatment entirely Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sinus and lung issues
I guess it somewhat depends on the lung issues involved as well. Is it COPD and timing issues like I deal with? However I do not get the higher level runny nose you describe.

Other solutions than PAP may be like what I'm battling now, in getting an NIV. Pills and surgery are not going to be a full answer to apnea. Most that endure surgery to fix apnea still need a PAP. So we can rule out not needing a machine of some sort.

I think you may want to address what PAP you do have, how is it setup, and is it working well for you. I've not looked back to see any history here, even so why not bring us up to date on full machine name, settings, and a recent OSCAR chart to get us up to date.

This whole issue may be you aren't or can't use the humidifier or some other setting easily fixed. Congestion and such like can sometimes be too much or too little moisture. So fill us in and we'll help as best as we're able.

I take Ventolin as a rescue only for my COPD. Are there other inhalers you're also taking? This whole picture thing has to include that too.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sinus and lung issues
I previously suggested nasal pillows as a tool that can break through congestion. The air does not move through your passages any faster, or at higher volumes, than you normally breathe. CPAP is positive air pressure, not flow. The only way flow increases is if there is a leak. As far as I know you have never posted data.

What was your diagnosed level of AHI? The problem seems to have come up just in the past year, after of success. What changed? Could your home, room or machine be contaminated with something? There are alternatives to CPAP, but they are generally less effective, much more expensive, and surgical solutions are painful.

This is the same topic as your previous thread, and I am going to merge now.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've not seen OSCAR data so I'm unsure what you'd like me to guess at. I've a very complex treatment need but mine doesn't have sinus drainage like you're describing. Even so, no data no guess.

I'm on break do not disturb.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had forgotten I posted previously in the same/similar problem. It was 2 years ago and my memory is failing. Additionally for the past year i have been using the old machine so nonoscar results. I have now read through the thread and take in board the possible matter of needing to fully disinfect the hose and mask.. its been a while but thats something I can do right away. Nasal pillows probably not, but I may consider FF mask if mouth breathing is needed... ventolin is only at time of extreme need. I dont have COPD, but If I get a cold and it goes to my chest.. i need it. I do have heart failure which is not much fun, but that needs frusemide, and diabetes too: insulin.

I dont want to go without the machine, i am dependent on it. I just want to breathe. I will disinfect stuff but also resurrect the dreamststion.

Oh on the matter of humidification... made no difference regardless of setting and I hated the upper levels which felt to me like a rain forest. Hot, humid, unpleasant. I have a back plate for the DS coming from the US in the next week or two, hopefully sooner rather than later.
Post Reply Post Reply
We can help, but an OSCAR chart would help. There is a lot that we can tell about your respiration by looking at the whole detail chart and a closeup of respiration. We do share your desire to have you return to comfortable therapy. Please consider ordering replacement tubing, humidifier chamber and mask if it is over a year old. I have not heard of those parts breaking down in a way that causes an allergic reaction, but if it's deteriorated or contaminated, it is certainly in the realm of possibility.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’ll do that once I get set up again with the Dreamstation.  Its been over a year.  THose hoses are in fine shape, practically new.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you're running a DreamStation and don't want to run the humidifier just take the humidifier out of the airstream. It's an add-on with these so the mention of a back plate is odd here. I have a DreamStation humidifier still here at the house, and it is definitely an add-on component to the PAP. Just remove it from the back of the PAP and plug your air hose into that port on the rear of the PAP.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 182 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 14 521 04-12-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Luka07
  [Treatment] AHI under control but flow limitation issues guzzle 2 230 04-03-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: guzzle
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 135 03-27-2024, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 134 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 142 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Airsense 10 Issues cgries2448 0 195 03-09-2024, 03:31 PM
Last Post: cgries2448

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.