Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sinus and nasal congestion and CPAP
Sinus and nasal congestion and CPAP
Hi - I have just had a ResMed S9 prescribed, set at 8 cm water gauge pressure with a nasal mask. I suffer from tree pollen allergy and often get a `stuffed up' nasal feeling in the Spring. I have had various anti-histamine tablets and nasal sprays, including steroid ones, but although they worked at first, they no longer seem to keep me clear. What have other `allergic' users experienced using CPAP ? I am not using a humidifier .....
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sinus and nasal congestion and CPAP
Hi Omega2498

1) If my nose is congested before I start using my CPAP device, I use a saline nasal spray (with no chemical additives) to alleviate the problem.

2) I suggest you try to get a H5i humidifier added to your setup, as this might help you with your allergies, and reduce the symptoms a bit.

3) Replace the standard filters with the 'S9 Filters Hypoallergenic' from ResMed.

;-> gjw
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi omega2498,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might consider using a humidifier and see if that would help you.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't use the saline mist things but the saline rinses. I use the bottle version vs the neti pot. Like you, I have bad seasonal allergies. I rinse out my sinuses right before bed and after I get up. The CPAP seems to push everything out of its way but as soon as I wake up, instant clog. I'll also cough up a lot of gunk, too.

Every once in a while, I'll wake up and have one nostril clogged, always the one on the side I am laying on, so I roll over and sleep on the other side. But that doesn't happen often.

You will find the humidifier really helpful during allergy season. I don't think a special filter is necessary, just change it more often.

I use the Ayr bottle and the Neillmed pre-made saline packets. I bought a box of them several years ago and still have a ton of them left.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2014, 03:40 AM)omega2498 Wrote: Hi - I have just had a ResMed S9 prescribed, set at 8 cm water gauge pressure with a nasal mask. I suffer from tree pollen allergy and often get a `stuffed up' nasal feeling in the Spring. I have had various anti-histamine tablets and nasal sprays, including steroid ones, but although they worked at first, they no longer seem to keep me clear. What have other `allergic' users experienced using CPAP ? I am not using a humidifier .....
ENT Hospital Surgeon prescribed me Neo Clarityn tabs 5mg one in the morning another in the evening if really bad , Told me to ignore the 1 a day instructions, no side effects whatsoever, AND " Nasonex Nasal Spray"

BOTH must be used together.

That was way back in 1994 and I never looked back. Wish I'd pushed the GP harder and got to see the ENT Clinic way before that and avoided all that hay fever suffering. I was in the surgery and out again in under 10 minutes.

I take the combination all year round as dust , chlorine in swimming pools etc also lead to blocked sinuses / stuffy nose.
I've just joined this forum tonight as I am awaiting the Hospital Sleep Clinic and a CPAP machine etc:
These are available by script from GP.
Everyone I've told so far ..... It has worked brilliantly for all of them.
Hope it works for you too !Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2014, 07:33 PM)bigdawgfiveo Wrote:
(04-06-2014, 03:40 AM)omega2498 Wrote: Hi - I have just had a ResMed S9 prescribed, set at 8 cm water gauge pressure with a nasal mask. I suffer from tree pollen allergy and often get a `stuffed up' nasal feeling in the Spring. I have had various anti-histamine tablets and nasal sprays, including steroid ones, but although they worked at first, they no longer seem to keep me clear. What have other `allergic' users experienced using CPAP ? I am not using a humidifier .....
ENT Hospital Surgeon prescribed me Neo Clarityn tabs 5mg one in the morning another in the evening if really bad , Told me to ignore the 1 a day instructions, no side effects whatsoever, AND " Nasonex Nasal Spray"

That was way back in 1994 and I never looked back. Wish I'd pushed the GP harder and got to see the ENT Clinic way before that and avoided all that hay fever suffering. I was in the surgery and out again in under 10 minutes.

I take the combination all year round as dust , chlorine in swimming pools etc also lead to blocked sinuses / stuffy nose.
I've just joined this forum tonight as I am awaiting the Hospital Sleep Clinic and a CPAP machine etc:

Hey dawgie! Welcome to the site. Actually that brings to mind an allergy joke: "A sight for sore eyes..." Yeah I know. It suks... But Superguy put me up to it.

Anyhow, when they get ready to write you a script for a machine be sure to ask them to make it an autoset machine. Such as the Resmed S9 autoset. I'm not remembering the model of the other one that's very recommended but someone will happen by to help with that soon I'm sure. The auto's are fully featured machines that will allow you to look at your own results as you begin this ride. If they specify it on the script, then your DME supplier will have to provide it.

I too know about the allergy things. This winter was really tough for me and I really don't know why. I've never had problems in the winter. But with Spring, comes the new season allergies that I do have problems with. One thing I've noticed is if my nose is clear enough at night when I start CPAP it stays clear all night. That's a good thing actually.

Welcome again, and keep us posted as to how you are getting along.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

thanks and welcome to these forums.. are you using a humidifier, and if you are what model is it?
Post Reply Post Reply

Hi Omega2498, welcome to our humble abode. I know about getting stuffed up and congested this time of year. Currently I'm doing a thing where the air in my house tastes like dirt when I breath it. The nose plugs up and it's not at all pleasurable. The tablets help some, but not much. I have a machine under my desk that keeps my workspace better, but when I sit and watch TV, I have a problem.

I went from the nasal mask, and the full face mask to the P10 pillows mask. I have found that when I start the machine, it will open and keep my sinuses open all night, as long as they're not super stuffed up to begin with. Come morning sometimes I think I'd like to take off my mask and just lay in bed awhile. So I do that, and I'm stopped up in 5 minutes. But all night long? I'm good.

Why aren't you using the humidifier?

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2014, 07:33 PM)bigdawgfiveo Wrote:

Sorry, Dawg, but I'd rather snot and sneeze than put steroids up my nose. I have found Nasonex and similar to be absolutely useless. They burned my nose and gave me a sore throat. Add in the addiction your body gets from nasal steroids and I am sooo not interested. Claritin is not side effect free for many people.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Flonase might be worth trying -- works better for me than Nasonex, and it recently went OTC -- my ENT claims no "rebound" effect and I haven't experience ANYTHING like a dependency.

Also note according to many posts I have read: Some people congest from TOO MUCH humidity and other people have a similar reaction to TOO LITTLE humidity. Finding the correct happy medium may be very important for you.

Even if the humidity setting isn't your primary problem it might be a contributing factor.

Religious saline irrigation (throughout the day) was my most successful long term method.

SinuGator from NeilMed is the best thing I have found for that irrigation.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 9 187 03-26-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Luka07
  nasal congestion relief sleepingbetterinFl 2 157 03-23-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 317 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 148 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 391 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 863 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Nasal Surgery and CPAP tolerance Norman2195 6 706 12-27-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.