Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sinus are sensitive to mask pushing against them
Sinus are sensitive to mask pushing against them
Does anyone have some kind of fix? To get my nasal mask tight enough to not leak, it’s pressing against my sinus to where it’s uncomfortable enough that it bothers them. Is there some certain kind of mask that doesn’t press against the lateral sides of the nose? I’ve tried the one that goes over your entire mouth and nose but it still lands on the lateral side of my nose causing the issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sinus are sensitive to mask pushing against them
Hello, Welcome !   You may just need to losen the mask up a bit.  Logic tells us to tighten things when they don’t work. With a silicone nose cushion it’s the opposite.

The way these nasal masks are designed to fit are a combination of getting the head strap right but also not being too tight so the silicone nose piece is not restricted from flexing and sealing to the face.

The silicone nose piece will flex and create a seal to the nose area if the proper size is correct. It needs to flex, touch the skin, expand and seal with your maximum pressure. 

Trial and error will eventually teach us this. But always edge towards as lose as possible with no leaks and do these adjustments while your laying on your pillow.  Not standing up.   

Good luck
Post Reply Post Reply
As Nighyynite said, your straps should be snug to loose-ish. Then one you have some pressure, pull the mask a little bit away from your face and let it fall back. The airflow through the leak you created will expand the roll of silicone and seal properly.

The other solution to relieve pressure on the sinuses is to use a pillows mask like the AirFit P10 or Brevida. They leave the outside of the nose open and free to expand a little bit.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-08-2022, 01:59 PM)tsgoodwin23 Wrote: Is there some certain kind of mask that doesn’t press against the lateral sides of the nose?

There is a huge variety of mask styles and designs. Finding one that fits is a process of trial and error. If you bought your machine using your insurance, then the company that supplied your machine is likely required by their contract with your insurance company to allow you to try several different masks.

Quote:I’ve tried the one that goes over your entire mouth and nose but it still lands on the lateral side of my nose causing the issue.

Those are full face masks and again, they come in a variety of types and styles.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
F30 and Evora are the two FFMs I've tried that don't put any pressure on the sides of my nose or sinuses along it.
The F30 is finicky. The straps, especially tops, have to be more loose than you think they should be to prevent leaks.
Evora is less of a diva but the vents are more noisy.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 9 186 03-26-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Luka07
  Full face mask tightness pushing jaw back and leaks wickedsleepy 11 746 02-07-2024, 04:30 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Sinus issues during therapy befoulmetalroosa 1 343 11-17-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] Sensitive skin conphil 4 434 09-01-2023, 01:03 PM
Last Post: conphil
  Sinus infection / recovering from surgery rpierce 0 349 08-24-2023, 12:18 PM
Last Post: rpierce
  Sensitive to flow limitation after 6h of sleep McPhearson99 9 1,176 07-11-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: McPhearson99
  Humidity and Sinus Infection Columbiabill 2 591 06-04-2023, 03:03 PM
Last Post: gainerfull

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.