Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sinus infection!
Sinus infection!
I've been doing cpap for 3 months, Phillips Respironics auto cpap machine, Dreamwear mask. Up until last week I was using every night, 6+ hours a night.
Last week out of the blue I had a weird pain in my nose. High up on the left side the pain felt like it was in the bones of my nose, quite sore to the touch and have had headaches (which is very rare for me) I went to see the doctor and was put on antibiotics for a sinus infection.

I am very concerned that this was caused by my cpap therapy. I have been vigilant about washing the nosepiece of my mask every morning, rinsing the humidifier tank well daily and washing weekly, my mask weekly, not as good about cleaning the heated humidifier tubing. I've cleaned the tubing 4 or 5 times in the last 3 months using a dilute Stars San solution and rinsing well afterwards.
So I've been on antibiotics for about a week, I should say that during this whole experience I have not been stuffed up during the day, just headaches off and on during the day. I have much less sinus pain, didn't use my cpap for most of the last week. I have tried to use it the last couple of nights but I only last about 30 minutes and have to stop, my nose and throat feel weird, seem to swell and I have problems breathing. The last couple of nights, on my dr's recommendation I've tried using Afrin a couple of hours before bedtime with no improvement.
I had my DME send me a new mask, tubing and nosepiece, as well as a tube cleaning brush. I'm looking for answers here, has anyone else dealt with this? How long before you were able to use cpap? I have to say I'm kind of afraid about starting up again but I am trying. I've never had a sinus infection before.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sinus infection!
Hi there Smile

A couple things you mentioned on your post, raised some flags for me, I am by no means a veteran around here nor can I comment on your equipment.

You did say you don't frequently clean out your hose, It is my opinion that should be part of your routine along with cleaning the mask & tank.

The other thing is you mentioned using Star San solution, might be wise to stick to warm water and a milder detergent, I have no idea if that's the cause, but it's possible. Also use distilled water with your tank, it will avoid build up on the internal parts of your humidifier.

Finally consider lowering the humidity of your machine, my first time around on the CPAP I used to crank it up to nearly max and I have realized recently that I was overdoing it.

Good Luck! Smile

"I'm not asleep... but that doesn't mean I'm awake."
Post Reply Post Reply
See below for the "Possibly Related Threads..." section. You might find some useful information in there. I doubt that the CPAP caused your infection. My wife gets them all the time and I am the one sucking on the hose all night.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am now cleaning my tubing weekly, or I will when I am able to start back up again. The Star San is something I read about here on the apnea board, I do rinse very well after using it. I have never used anything but distilled water in the humidifier and while I was just rinsing it out well daily I've been washing it for the last month.
The headaches are not horrible but frequent, I have so much sympathy for those who have frequent migraines. I've rarely had headaches before now.

Thanks for your inputSmile
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with SeriousJoker about lowering your humidity settings (if they are high).

What humidity settings are you using at the moment?

How has the climate where you are changed since you started using CPAP? You don't list a country in your profile, so I don't know if you're in late spring or winter where you live.

If it's late spring where you are, you be able to use a lower humidity setting now.

Something like Breathe-Right strips might help you to use CPAP while you're getting over the sinus infection.

My recommendations are unscientific. The one time I've had any congestion/respiratory infection issues with my CPAP machine was one night this past winter when I turned the humidity setting up to the max.

Post Reply Post Reply
I am in Washington state, thanks for the suggestions. I just turned my humidity down from 3 to 1 and my heat down also. Hope it helpsSmile
Post Reply Post Reply
chrysos,
I can't add much than what has been suggested, but have you changed the filters in your machine?
Also, you should be coming up for a replacement hose. It's a good idea to have a spare hose so that when you clean one
you can just switch out until the other is dry.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have changed my filters and got a new hose this week so I can do just thatSmile
Post Reply Post Reply
Any of you know what the difference is in Respironics hose 1032907 and 622038?
I have a Phillips/Respironics System One machine and not sure which hose to buy.
I usually turn up the humidifier if I have any sinus trouble as I believe the extra moisture helps and I would think that a too dry situation could cause a sinus headache.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-01-2016, 04:29 PM)MorrisGray Wrote: Any of you know what the difference is in Respironics hose 1032907 and 622038?
I have a Phillips/Respironics System One machine and not sure which hose to buy.
I usually turn up the humidifier if I have any sinus trouble as I believe the extra moisture helps and I would think that a too dry situation could cause a sinus headache.

Hi MorrisGray. Welcome to the forum. It seems the difference between the 2 hoses is color. 1032907 is white the other is grey. Neither one is heated. You may need a heated hose with your humidifier. Check your existing hose to see if it is a heated hose.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 10 219 Yesterday, 02:07 PM
Last Post: Luka07
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 202 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  Sinus issues during therapy befoulmetalroosa 1 344 11-17-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Sinus infection / recovering from surgery rpierce 0 351 08-24-2023, 12:18 PM
Last Post: rpierce
  Humidity and Sinus Infection Columbiabill 2 591 06-04-2023, 03:03 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  New user with sinus headaches SnoNoMo 6 912 04-20-2023, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Constant sinus headache getzall 3 557 02-20-2023, 11:53 AM
Last Post: getzall

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.