Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sinus infection
Sinus infection
This week marks two months that I've been using APAP, and overall it's been very successful. Most nights my net AHI is under 1.00, and the "high" nights are in the ~2.00 realm.

The only thing that's an issue at this point is that I've had a pretty major sinus infection on and off for the past month. It started when I was on APAP for about a month -- it manifested as a strong infection with headache/toothache, fluorescent nasal discharge, etc. It eased off, but has returned on and off. Today it was bad enough that I had to come home from work early and put my face over a pot of hot steam to alleviate things.

Now, I can't say that there is necessarily a connection between getting the infection and being on APAP. On the other hand, this is the first sinus infection I can recall in more than 10 years, so it seems coincidental. From reading threads like this one, it seems as though many of you are skeptical that PAP can cause a sinus infection, whereas others like me have gotten one when first using the machine.

I've been using a neti pot nightly for many years. Right now I'm increasing that to 4x/day, along with the steam, to see if either or both help.

I'm currently wondering about the following:

-- Usually I leave my machine on humidifier setting 4, and let it decide when to turn on. It doesn't seem to go on that much even though the air has been very dry. If you were me, would you try increasing the humidification level to 5, or setting it so it's manually on?

-- Does pressure level seem like it could be a factor? Mine is set to 4-20 cm, and seems to spend most of the time in the 4-6 cm range.

-- Anything else you'd try? I sleep 100% on one side or the other now (not on my back); the sinus infection is just on the left side. I wonder if it would be better to elevate that side?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sinus infection
it is going around. I had it start in November and went to the doc at the end of November and they did nothing but give me a nasal spray script which did not address all of my symptoms. They told me to start back on the metoprolol b/c my pulse of 60 was way too high and they were concerned about tachycardia (sp?). I said well, if you are concerned what about doing an EKG. Oh no, if I think you need that, I will order it (I have 2 siblings and a bad family history of heart attacks). Did not get better and went to the doc today b/c my right ear became very painful. Yep, you have the crud that is going around and some people are getting pneumonia from it. One of the things I do have is symptoms of a sinus infection among other symptoms. Probably a coincidence but worth checking out.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been on APAP for 101 days now. I started using a Neti Pot religiously (once a day), 30 days into it. Then I got hit by a sinus infection. First, I realized I was doing Neti a bit wrong. I corrected that. Then, I needed to reduce my System One humidification level from 90% to 70% and tube temp from setting of 4 to a 3. That worked for me. Now I have been sinus infection free for the last 50 days which have been colder than earlier.

The xPAP is subjecting your nostrils to a new standard of breathing (humidity and temp wise). It takes some time for it to adjust. For some, lower humidity may work. For some, a higher humidity will work. You just need to experiment with the settings to see what works for you.

My 2 cents. YMMV.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2015, 09:02 PM)AshSF Wrote: I realized I was doing Neti a bit wrong. I corrected that.

Thanks. What did you conclude was wrong in how you were doing it, and how did you change it?

Post Reply Post Reply
Even if CPAP doesn't do anything like harbor germs or "push the germs" into you, it can affect your airway tissues by drying them out, or making your passages more or less clear of germs, so it might affect your potential for infection.

As for the neti, consider the same thing. Mucous is there to protect you from germs. If you wash it out too much, you might have more chance of infection because you've washed away your infection protection.

Sometimes more humidity is better, sometimes, less.

If you want to, you might get some Control III disinfectant and use it to clean all your CPAP equipment as soon as you get well. Read the directions. It's nasty stuff until you dilute it.

Doctors are getting too reluctant to dispense antibiotics. While I don't like to see overuse, a course of antibiotics once a year or so isn't going to go breeding superbugs. You may need to insist on antibiotics if you go see your doctor.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
yeah my doctor ordered antibiotics for me and I wasn't happy about it and asked why I couldn't just have antibiotic ear drops and I was told that it was more than just my ears and I needed an antibiotic so I filled the prescription and fortunately my doctor was nice enough to answer my questions knowing that I am NOT trying to tell him how to treat me when I am not feeling well I do believe that if my doctor that I went to in November when all of this first started would have treated me at that time I wouldn't have gotten sicker and had a need for the antibiotic but from what I was told today from my doctor this is going around and there have been lines and lines and lines of people going into the urgent care facilities for treatment
Post Reply Post Reply
Usually when you have a sinus infection, you aggressively treat it with a complete course of antibiotics. I've never failed to clear it up with that, and I have had sinus infections that felt like an ice pick being driven into my head. Terrible! I've been doing APAP therapy since 2008 so I've been around the block with that and every thing from sinus infection to an incredible case of Lyme's Meningitis that paralyzed my face, abdomen and put me on disability for months. I don't get sick often, but I guess when I do, it's a doozie.

Through it all I've use APAP with nasal pillows, heated humidification as needed and a heated hose. Normally I'm more comfortable at night with the pressurized air than during the day when I'm sick. Never used a neti pot, but have occasionally used sterile nasal spray. I think it's not a great idea to do anything like that routinely. YMMV and there are pros and cons.

I have doubts XPAP caused an infection, but it's not out of the question, especially if you experience leaks that cause dry irritated tissues in the sinus. If you haven't already done so, get proper treatment and take all the medication, even if you're feeling better. It sounds like you are self-diagnosing and treating, and I disagree that is an effective way to deal with sinusitis. A heated hose in addition to your humidifier is a wonderful thing this time of year, especially when your sinuses are painful.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with the above that dry tissues could become a landing strip for bugs that are in the air that we breathe. Another thing that might be worth considering is one of the results of DocWills testing. He found that after a while without cleaning the mask there were some not so nice bugs that took up residence in the mask although there were none in the tubing. Has this finding got me washing my mask every day? Nope, but it is worth consideration.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2015, 09:25 PM)Dyssomniac Wrote:
(01-05-2015, 09:02 PM)AshSF Wrote: I realized I was doing Neti a bit wrong. I corrected that.

Thanks. What did you conclude was wrong in how you were doing it, and how did you change it?

My body posture wasn't correct. If you don't do it in the right way, it makes you more susceptible to sinus attacks. Also, I was doing it with cold water. Now I do it with lukewarm distilled water. There are multiple yoga related websites which describe the correct posture. You should google "neti technique" and read up.

Also, doing it 4x a day is overkill on a daily basis and may remove too much mucus. I only do it once a day.

If you are in the middle of an acute sinus infection, then 4x a day makes sense. I have never been able to control a sinus infection with antibiotics. I have always gotten a good result by aggressive Neti during acute sinusitis.

YMMV.

PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2015, 10:46 PM)me50 Wrote: yeah my doctor ordered antibiotics for me and I wasn't happy about it and asked why I couldn't just have antibiotic ear drops and I was told that it was more than just my ears and I needed an antibiotic so I filled the prescription and fortunately my doctor was nice enough to answer my questions knowing that I am NOT trying to tell him how to treat me when I am not feeling well I do believe that if my doctor that I went to in November when all of this first started would have treated me at that time I wouldn't have gotten sicker and had a need for the antibiotic but from what I was told today from my doctor this is going around and there have been lines and lines and lines of people going into the urgent care facilities for treatment

Ear infections should almost always be treated with antibiotic pills not just drops. The bugs are often on the inside of the ear and will cause a lot of pain and maybe ear damage if not treated quickly.

I learned that lesson when some stupid doctor treated my ear infection with some kind of #84&@* vinegar based ear drops instead of pills. After a few days of excruciating pain, I went back and got antibiotic pills and it cleared up.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 10 211 4 hours ago
Last Post: Luka07
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 197 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  Sinus issues during therapy befoulmetalroosa 1 344 11-17-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Sinus infection / recovering from surgery rpierce 0 350 08-24-2023, 12:18 PM
Last Post: rpierce
  Humidity and Sinus Infection Columbiabill 2 591 06-04-2023, 03:03 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  New user with sinus headaches SnoNoMo 6 908 04-20-2023, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Constant sinus headache getzall 3 557 02-20-2023, 11:53 AM
Last Post: getzall

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.