Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sinusitis is worst with CPAP.
Question 
Sinusitis is worst with CPAP.
Hi,

I am very happy with my 2 month old Cpap machine and I think that the Cpap machine use have already jump from to be a “punishment” to be a “habit”.
My sleep study showed a 9.9 AHI, with the Cpap I am bellow 5 almost every day.
But I got a problem with the machine use: Sinusitis. I got it before Cpap , and is going worst with the Cpap, I spoke with my ENT Dr. and she prescribed me Montelukast Sodium 10mg, but I googled it and is not good if you got Glaucoma (I happen to got glaucoma too). I stopped the Montelukast use. My Pulmonary DR. advised me to use saline nasal spray for the dry mouth and nose. I began with the spray but I feel that the Sinusitis is going worst. I am using humidifier in my Cpap.
If you got any experience or advise on how to cope with the Sinusitis , please let me know.
Note: Montelukas was prescribed because the ENT DR thinks that my problem is of allergy and asthma origin.

Ralph
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sinusitis is worst with CPAP.
Have you played with and without your humidifier? My sinuses really kick up if the humidity drops below 50%. With that said, I've seen several posts here from members that need to go the opposite direction and need a very low humidity or they will have problems.

Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
How about telling the ENT doctor about the glaucoma, and asking for a *different* spray? I've been on steroid sprays for years and years, for "non allergic rhinitis" (ie no allergies, but constant problems anyway). There are several choices in sprays. Don't just give up on one, without asking for an alternative!

I'm one of the no-humidity at all people, in my CPAP. Partly because I'm too lazy to clean things, but the several times I tried adding humidity (when I got current machine brand) it always took me into a badly clogged nose and symptoms that felt like a bad head cold. So I use dry air, to blow the passage ways dry.
Post Reply Post Reply
To echo the above comment - I agree that you should try a different nasal spray. I regularly use Dymista, which is a combination corticosteriod and antihistamine, and it does wonders for my almost constant sinus inflammation. I use the same machine as you and have found that a humidity setting of 5 with the hose temperature maxed out at 86 deg F (if you have the heated hose) is a winning combination, although some people prefer or less humidity. So, it's a matter of tweaking your settings and finding what works for you. In general, I find that PAP therapy helps me breathe easier even when I have an active sinus infection or cold.
Post Reply Post Reply
Crimson Nape.

-I will follow your advise next week, because last week my Dr. changed my settings and I think that I am doing better, but I want to be 100% sure before make another setting change. With the new setting I have been 1 unit AHI bellow. The exception was yesterday, but I know that I am in trouble when I sleep laying on my back.
-I read another similar thread in the forum suggesting to the use saline solution with Xylitol and I will go today to buy it and begin the use of that.
Tks.
Ralph.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi BadGoodDeb.

Yes your right, I must not give up trying with different sprays. I have tested Flonase, Fluticasone, Veramyst and a long array of them, and I gave up. That is not right. I must keep going, because at the end nobody will care better than yourself of your health problems. I appreciate your advise.
Tks.
Ralph.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ahhh -- well, I didn't realize you HAD tried quite a few of them! But, if there are others, yes, keep trying.
Post Reply Post Reply
try xlear. it is over the counter and really effective. if you like it, there are several recipes on the net to refill your xlear bottle with Smile also - consider putting a saline/xylitol mix into a netipot and giving those sinuses a nice sluicing.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
DARIAVADER

Yesterday 7/26/16 I went to try to buy the Xlear and went to a 5 or 6 different pharmacies in my town. I couldn't find out the Xlear. At the end I came back home and bought it in Amazon . As I got Prime it will be here next Friday. Tks for your advise. I will try. I bought another bottle for my wife because we don't want more cross contamination (at least not with the noses).
Ralph.
Post Reply Post Reply
good job.

I use the recipe on this page: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php...ave.21430/ and make my own. Had to buy xylitol and GSE for it, worth it if it is going to work for you, but I like the pump spray bottle the xlear came in Smile I wash it when it empties with my cpap stuff.
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad One of my worst nights. adamwhereartthou 1 451 11-06-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [CPAP] WORST SLEEP APNEA IN RECORDED HISTORY, plzzz help! memoryNada786 23 2,802 09-11-2023, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Mjadalak
  AHI/Apnea worst when sleeping on stomach chris94546 2 574 07-29-2023, 10:15 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Sinusitis and Cpap Use jimk4490 14 1,566 01-09-2023, 08:03 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Took a turn for the worst. Please help with OSCAR Charts LBTRS 14 1,616 06-21-2021, 11:44 PM
Last Post: Geer1
  Worst Night Ever bruce46219 7 1,047 11-25-2019, 08:15 PM
Last Post: bruce46219
  Looks like I got the WORST DME in history Broomstick 11 2,418 10-24-2018, 12:34 PM
Last Post: snorenomore0305

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.