Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sit up in bed - HR rises a lot - palpitations
Sit up in bed - HR rises a lot - palpitations
Last night AHI 1.99 which is good for me. I thought these issues were gone, with my new BIPAP. But early this morning when i woke up, I sat up on the end of the bed. I started have palpitations and my HR shot up from 50-60 laying down to 100+ sitting up in bed.

If it wasn't for the Multaq for AFIB, and my Beta Blocker, I'm sure it would've been 130+ bpm, like it happened in the past. I also had some odd anxiety/panic feeling as well that it brought on. I got a good bill of health from my Cardiologist and they say nothing wrong with my heart. Well...I'd like to know why this is occurring then? 

I know blood pressure can change from laying down to standing, but it shouldnt cause massive increases in your HR and cause major palpitations.
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sit up in bed - HR rises a lot - palpitations
Have you downloaded SleepyHead yet? It would be helpful if you could post screenshots so you can get advice on this.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board

Best of luck and keep us posted!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, it would be nice to see Sleepyhead info.  BiPAP generally makes it easier to exhale compared to CPAP so I'd be interested if there was something that triggered your rise in HR.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like POTS. Have you been tested on a tilt table for autonomic function? Cardiologists don't treat autonomic stuff. 

Any other symptoms?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-12-2018, 12:55 PM)crowtor Wrote: Sounds like POTS. Have you been tested on a tilt table for autonomic function? Cardiologists don't treat autonomic stuff. 

Any other symptoms?

No, that's one thing none of my doctors, Primary/Cardio/EP, never tested me for. Last year, before I got my APAP in August, I was having increased anxiety/panic attacks during the day that eventually led into the night. I'd lie down in bed, and BAM, an anxiety attack/palpitations would hit me like a brick! Doctors had previously prescribed me Zoloft, Amlodipine, Buspirone and nothing helped.

Then got my APAP in Aug 2nd, 2017, had my first AFIB incident two weeks afterwards. The previous nights leading up to my AFIB incident, I kept waking up with night sweats, palpitations, and fast HR. And when I would prop myself up in bed to stand up, the palpitations would get worse.

I had to stop taking all those drugs, since they put me on Multaq for AFIB. Then I started to get better. No more anxiety nor panic attacks at all! Then this year, got my BIPAP, and that helped even more. But I still feel drained/tired/depressed almost every day. 

Symptoms I've noticed...
1. Last two times I had an EKG in doctor office and laid on the table, then sat back up, I felt really dizzy.
2. My Contec SpO2 watch I wear at night, shows unexplained O2 drops occasionally into the 80's, even though it looks like I had no OA/CA. 
3. My normal O2 level is usually no higher then 95%, and usually 92%-94%.
4. Some days, my HR sometimes "sticks" at a lower rate of 52-58bpm while I'm at my desk at work, and even when i get up to stand or walk a bit, it doesn't raise much. Then other days it is fine again and between 60-75bpm.
5. Night Sweats, I have them almost every night.

(#4) is the most bizarre feeling I've had, and I feel cold, clammy, and unwell on those days. And on those days, at night my HR goes even lower during my sleep to the 40's.

Right now my main med's are Multaq, Clonazepam(as needed for anxiety/palpitations), and Bystolic 2.5mg at night.

I think I will ask my Cardio for getting a POTS test done.

[attachment=5840]

[attachment=5841]

[attachment=5842]
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
Now that i think about it, your pretty well controlled with Multaq. Getting a Pots diagnosis wont help you get a better treatment since there is no treatment for POTS.

But having said that during the testing they do a carotid sinus test in which they palpate your neck sinuses to see if that triggers a heart arrythmia reaction.

Be sure to ask about everything, I felt horribly wrong after each tilt table test. I fainted every time, might be why.

How did you get your Multaq prescribed? Were you lucky to have afib register on one of the ekg's?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  heart palpitations starting CPAP: temporary? acordeon 4 633 12-14-2023, 08:49 PM
Last Post: acordeon
  Auto CPAP sensor rises to the highest range immediately. How to fix? What's broken? WWu777 16 1,921 12-17-2021, 12:44 PM
Last Post: WWu777
  Pressure rises when awake naposnore65 12 1,154 05-05-2021, 04:21 AM
Last Post: naposnore65
  Palpitations/shortness of breath common with APAP treatment? photolabrat 20 2,507 04-28-2020, 09:59 AM
Last Post: DavyP49
  Increased palpitations during the day pkonin 8 2,365 09-17-2019, 08:40 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Waking up with palpitations - laying on back MyronH 14 2,397 02-06-2019, 10:48 AM
Last Post: MyronH
  How long are your OA/UA/CA events? Do they cause heart palpitations/racing heart? MyronH 5 1,567 02-23-2018, 05:04 AM
Last Post: holden4th

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.