Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sitting up, reading and C-Pap getting Air in my Mouth
Sitting up, reading and C-Pap getting Air in my Mouth
I"ve just completed my 1st month of use of my C-Pap. It has been an interesting experience Smile  and reading posts on this board has been a blessing in learning. I am beginning to sleep which was a real problem since I have insomnia.  I also changed masks from pillow to nasal and am getting more air.  I usually get into bed, put on my mask and read awhile to get sleepy and wind down.  I get air in my mouth while my mouth is closed.  I have read posts and this is usually from mouth breathing during sleep and people switch to full face masks.  But this is not my problem.  Even when I lie down and mouth still closed, I am sputtering and getting air in my mouth and cheeks.  A post stated that air is getting into my nasal cavity instead of my airway.  How in the world do I prevent this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sitting up, reading and C-Pap getting Air in my Mouth
I’m so glad you’ve settled in and it’s helping!

And... I recognize this problem! Whatever scheme I had to keep my mouth shut while using the P10, air would sometimes find hilarious ways to make more space for itself. I even taped my mouth shut and generated the “exploding tape” phenomenon. I was one of the exemplars that switched to FFM.

You might doublecheck on the position of your head and neck relative to the pillows or experiment with different positions.

Since I’m a newb, I don’t give quantitative advice, but I’m confident someone will!
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m not real sure what is going on since you are using a nasal mask and you are sure your mouth is closed.

It seems that the air going into your nasal cavity escapes into your throat/mouth area.  

The only thing I can suggest is to start practicing the Tongue Suck Method to keep that from happening.

Tongue Suck Technique:
Place your tongue to the roof of your mouth with tip of tongue behind front teeth.  Slowly suck upwards and back.
This places the tongue in a natural position, with the back of tongue sealing the back of the throat so that if you open your mouth/jaw while sleeping, no air will escape.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-29-2017, 10:37 AM)Solar Rays Wrote: I"ve just completed my 1st month of use of my C-Pap. It has been an interesting experience Smile  and reading posts on this board has been a blessing in learning. I am beginning to sleep which was a real problem since I have insomnia.  I also changed masks from pillow to nasal and am getting more air.  I usually get into bed, put on my mask and read awhile to get sleepy and wind down.  I get air in my mouth while my mouth is closed.  I have read posts and this is usually from mouth breathing during sleep and people switch to full face masks.  But this is not my problem.  Even when I lie down and mouth still closed, I am sputtering and getting air in my mouth and cheeks.  A post stated that air is getting into my nasal cavity instead of my airway.  How in the world do I prevent this?

This is what I found difficult to deal with.  People kept telling me I was mouth breathing, but I knew it was air pressure getting into my mouth from my throat, the trouble is that once it starts it is harder to deal with, the longer it goes on for the harder it is to deal with.
The only thing that helps is a sip of water to dampen the mouth, then try to jam the tongue forward and up against the roof of the mouth, sometimes sucking while sticking the tongue forward and up works.
I have found a chin strap works to a point, but once some air has got into the mouth and dried it a little, it gets more difficult to stop this happening.
However, a sip of water does help while using a chin strap.  Use one of those sports bottles with the pull up top and push to seal it, or use a straw.
Once you have learned to do this with the machine still running, you will even manage to talk and drink beer if you want to.
Not advised.  Pop is also not advised as the gas goes up the nose lol

A full faced mask is the best option, but if like me you can't or don't want to use one, get a chin strap.
Try a bandage tied over the head to try this for one night.
By the way, most people that find they are not getting enough air with Nasal Pillows are using a size to small.
Whit Nasal Pillows, you need to be settled and your breathing slowed down before fitting them, then turn on the machine and take shallow breaths at the start, then slowly take bigger breaths (if are using ramp, but if you do not wait until you settle down you can feel very starved of air at the start).

Try a chin strap, it has to be quite tight, but not so tight as it hurts.  If you wake and your mouth feel dry due to air escaping, take a sip of water.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Once you have learned to do this with the machine still running, you will even manage to talk and drink beer if you want to.

Post of the year!  Thanks

Even I have not crossed the "Beer-PAP" line, but you, have thought of something really special right here.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 33 10 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 376 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 135 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 806 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.