Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Six weeks in and fatigue has set in. Again
Six weeks in and fatigue has set in. Again
Hi All,

My third week on CPAP was like a new lease of life. I was waking up refreshed and headache free for the first time in years...

In the weeks following i've gone back to square one and am totally exhausted again even though my AHI's are have been coming down - past week i've average 4.8, down from 7 & 8's in the previous weeks.

Anyway back to my GP today for a chat to see where to from here.

Just wondering if these setbacks are normal and to be expected from time to time?

Paul.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Six weeks in and fatigue has set in. Again
(12-07-2015, 07:24 PM)Gyddyup Wrote: Hi All,

My third week on CPAP was like a new lease of life. I was waking up refreshed and headache free for the first time in years...

In the weeks following i've gone back to square one and am totally exhausted again even though my AHI's are have been coming down - past week i've average 4.8, down from 7 & 8's in the previous weeks.

Anyway back to my GP today for a chat to see where to from here.

Just wondering if these setbacks are normal and to be expected from time to time?

Paul.

Sorry to hear things aren't going well. Honestly, I had a similar experience - a "honeymoon" period that lasted a few weeks, then kind of a normalizing effect, where I can't say I'm waking up feeling like climbing a mountain everyday, but my AHI's are usually <1.

Personally I think this effect is as least partially psychological, because people can adapt to change quickly. So, for the first few weeks you noticed a drastic improvement compared to your previous quality of sleep. Now, you are more "used" to the therapy and maybe don't appreciate it as much, but I bet if you tried a night without therapy you would notice a huge difference the next day.

It is also possible that some aspect of your therapy is not optimized. Have you looked to see what's going on in your data yet? I see that you're using SleepyHead. If you post a screenshot of the data in this forum, there are many software savvy folks on here that can give you feedback. I think you should be able to achieve better than 4.8 with different settings and/or mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Gyddyup,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Sorry to hear things aren’t going well with your CPAP therapy right now, but just stick with it.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Paul:
There may be more going on that just apnea.
Discuss with your doctor other factors in your total wellness.
Keeping in mind that I am not a doctor -- areas your doctor may look at are weight, diabetes, thyroid, et cetera.

Regards,

Mongo
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
same thing happened to me. I tweaked something and my body said YES! Then the next most important started getting my attention. I went through quite a few of these and some came back for a second look. Humidity, temperature, EPR, ramp, auto start, then BiLevel and finally COPD on top of everything else. Now I have bee fine for weeks and love'n life again.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks for the advice and encouragement.

had a thorough range of blood tests earlier in the year - just needed some vitamin D supplementation. BMI is good at 23.5

yes am thinking i'll need to start tweaking a few settings and reign in the pressure range.

Unless my mask is on super tight it starts leaking when the pressure hits around 12. i tried some resmed liners and thought they were great, until i checked sleepyhead and realised every night i used them corresponded to large leaks.

thanks again
Paul

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-08-2015, 06:45 PM)Gyddyup Wrote: Unless my mask is on super tight it starts leaking when the pressure hits around 12. i tried some resmed liners and thought they were great, until i checked sleepyhead and realised every night i used them corresponded to large leaks.

That can ruin your sleep quality. I suggest getting in touch with your equipment provider. Make an appointment for a new mask fitting.

Maybe try the Simplus or the Amaraview. I like them both, but the Simplus is my favorite.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My CPAP is a straight 10cm H20 and my Wisp nasal mask is just tight enough to stay in place, which means it's actually not tight at all - the straps are not even snug, just enough to hold the mask where it belongs. I'm not really sure how it seals given how loose it is but it does. So, I agree with the suggestion to keep trying masks until you find one that works well.
Post Reply Post Reply
all booked in for mask fitting tomorrow, hopefully can come away with something more suitable for me. and keep the quattro air as my backup.
Post Reply Post Reply
From a different perspective.

I'm just starting CPAP and my biggest issue is getting to sleep. Once I do it's all OK. However, even with limited sleep the CPAP makes a difference. The one thing I have noticed is that while I wake up feeling so much better I hit the wall late in the afternoon. I figure that this is my body saying to me that I'm now sleeping properly and I now need to catch up on some of the sleep I've missed. Maybe this is part of what's happening to you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 130 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question Oscar Help - Analysis after 3 Weeks, Improvements! ef8mk 7 319 03-24-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: ef8mk
  Trialing a Dreamstation (2?) for 4 weeks NeedSleepPlease 46 1,488 03-12-2024, 05:05 PM
Last Post: NeedSleepPlease
  2 weeks in. Mask leak and flow limit Jojo1982 11 672 02-22-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Jojo1982
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 323 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] 5-6 Weeks into CPAP Therapy, Sleep Getting Worse of Late SleepyLP 17 909 01-16-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  3 Weeks in the World of APAP MaskedOne 2 311 01-16-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: MaskedOne

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.