Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Skeptical of Numbers
Skeptical of Numbers
Hello everyone.

Bit of background on myself... Was diagnosed in 2011 with OSA and was given a Respironics System One CPAP machine with full face mask. I was prescribed the rate of 6.0. I tried using the thing, but after 3 weeks, I could not deal with it, and stopped using it completely. I was feeling smothered, uncomfortable, massive leaks, etc. etc. etc...

I should have gone back to the place to get it rectified, but I didn't... 

So the machine sat on my shelf for 7 years, not being touched.... 

So earlier this month, I decided, since I was in a new job, regular hours, regular sleep time, and the incredible feeling of being tired all the time, I would give it another shot... I dusted off the machine, got new hoses, and went in and got a nasal pillow mask to try..

At first, I was feeling the exact same... The first night, I had it on for an hour or so, and couldn't deal with the restricted breathing... Second night, the same thing.... Then, on the third night, something changed (not sure if I had the pillows set on correctly, or what), but I became used to the sensation, and easily got over 8 hours sleep with it on...  Since then, I have had pretty good luck with using the machine... That is not where I am having questions..

So after reviewing my numbers, I was seeing AHI's of 5.0 to 8.0 on a regular night sleep, and 11, 12, 13 on nights where I used it for shorter periods (which makes sense, when you divide the event numbers by the hours used)....  My settings are 6 - 20, no ramp.  The reports show that the pressures hover in the 13 to 18 range most of the night. I also do not feel any immediate benefits of using the machine.  Still pretty groggy... In talking with my healthcare provider in analysing the numbers, I asked if the age of the machine would have anything to do with the efficiency... She said it could be, and said that those models did well in treating OA events, but not Hypopneas....  My OA index was 0.8 or so, and the bulk of the AHI was made up of Hypopneas. Quite a bit of snoring detected as well.. She mentioned that I could try an Airsense 10 to see if it was any different...

I tried it last night, with the same settings as the old machine and got a good 8.5 hours on the machine, and checked the AHI, and it showed 0.1! I looked at the data in sleepyhead, and it only showed one event all night, and it was a hypopnea. Woke up, and felt the same as I always do.

So looking at these numbers, I am highly alarmed and skeptical... Is this even possible?  I will post my reports here when I can so you can look at, just wondering if anyone knows if this makes any sense??

Thanks in advance! I have learned a lot about the condition from this board!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Skeptical of Numbers
Yes, it makes sense. Respironics machines are known to react much slower to Apnea events compared to ResMed machines. Although, you can use a higher setting on the Respironics machine and get better results.

Don’t forget, you let you apnea condition go untreated for 7 years, and it more than likely has gotten a bit worse. If you start to use your Cpap consistently, you will feel better in time. It doesn’t always happen overnight.

Post some data here. Use the links in my signature line below to guide you.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
With the Resmed machine you also have a feature called EPR (exhale pressure relief) which can provide a drop in pressure on exhale from 1 to 3 cm. This can be an important tool in resolving hypopnea and of course in increasing comfort. More important, the machine tends to be proactive with regard to OA and H rather than reactive like the Philips. Even with a lower AHI, it may take some time to feel recovered. Be patient and give it a chance to resolve your chronic sleep debt. If you'd like us to take a look at some detailed results, a Sleepyhead graph would be easy to post here as an attachment.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone... I am going to post the comparison graphs when I get home and get some time... I am relieved to hear someone backing up what the therapist said... I just kinda thought the numbers were too good to be true... I understand that it will take a bit of time to get everything dialled in and feeling better... I am just glad that after the horrible experience I had with everything 7 years ago, I am able to get some sleep with it now!
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are comparisons

[attachment=7827][attachment=7828][attachment=7829][attachment=7831]

Sorry for the small screenshots... Laptop is pretty old and screen real estate is not very plentiful
Post Reply Post Reply
What's the difference? EPR and the Easy Breath pressure shaping instead of Flex. You have a 3-cm pressure support with the Resmed, and at pressures between 4 and 10 it is magic for you. With the Philips you ended up in an endless cycle of fighting the machine.While both machines seem to accurately determine your respiration rate and tidal volume, the big difference here is that the Philips doesn't properly interpret your inspiration/expiration times or transitions. It imposes Flex at the wrong time and that is what totally ruined your therapy. The Resmed follows your respiration rather than predicting it. Just look how finally you have a correct I/E ratio. I think the Flex algorithms in Philips machines is the one of the major sources of failure in comfort and using those machines. It certainly works for some people, but I keep finding myself thinking as I look at many different charts on this forum, if only they weren't using the Philips! The use of predictive Flex pressure transitions and the slow reactive pressure changes of the Philips auto machines just increase events, vs the reactive EPR and proactive pressure changes on Resmed.

Congrats, you should feel the results soon.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much for the insight! Completely makes sense... When I go back and look at the old charts, the pressure slowly builds until it hits the maximum threshold. Not much good at that point!

Its so great to have a resource like this with people who have "been there, done that" with these devices, and understand how they work!
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2018, 09:17 PM)horsepower Wrote: Sorry for the small screenshots... Laptop is pretty old and screen real estate is not very plentiful

horsepower, I think your screenshots would be better by resizing SH to include the significant data in the left pane and resizing the graphs so that the significant ones will fit in that screen, then use the F12 key or the menu option 'View' in the top menu bar, and 'Take Screenshot' in the middle of the menu.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2018, 09:31 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: What's the difference?  EPR and the Easy Breath pressure shaping instead of Flex.  You have a 3-cm pressure support with the Resmed, and at pressures between 4 and 10 it is magic for you.  With the Philips you ended up in an endless cycle of fighting the machine.While both machines seem to accurately determine your respiration rate and tidal volume, the big difference here is that the Philips doesn't properly interpret your inspiration/expiration times or transitions. It imposes Flex at the wrong time and that is what totally ruined your therapy. The Resmed follows your respiration rather than predicting it.  Just look how finally you have a correct I/E ratio.  I think the Flex algorithms in Philips machines is the one of the major sources of failure in comfort and using those machines. It certainly works for some people, but I keep finding myself thinking as I look at many different charts on this forum, if only they weren't using the Philips!  The use of predictive Flex pressure transitions and the slow reactive pressure changes of the Philips auto machines just increase events, vs the reactive EPR and proactive pressure changes on Resmed.

Congrats, you should feel the results soon.
Thank you for that explanation to the same question i've had.  same situation, different numbers. with phillips 550 my ahi was 5-15, very seldom lower, sometimes higher. with the new autosense, my ahi is usually below one to around 5, sometimes higher, but never up to 2 digits.  and i really do feel better.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AHI Numbers looking great but feeling like crap Jpm6179 13 415 11 hours ago
Last Post: Jpm6179
Sad [Treatment] Therapy is helping, but only a little - good AHI numbers, bad sleep tiredsleeper 4 200 04-16-2024, 11:57 AM
Last Post: tiredsleeper
  Do I need to tweak my numbers dharris01 6 208 04-15-2024, 03:12 PM
Last Post: dharris01
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 203 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 408 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Frustrating insomnia continues despite numbers alienfrontier 10 663 01-27-2024, 02:04 PM
Last Post: alienfrontier
  Central Sleep Apnea AHI numbers too high chathamite 12 1,079 11-19-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.