Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Skin Irritation from Masks
Skin Irritation from Masks
I have tried 3 different masks, resmed F30i, Resmed Airtouch F20, and F&P Vitera. All 3 cause skin irritation at mask contact to the point that I have switch to mask with different contact points after 2-3 nights to allow the irritation to heal. I get red stinging tender spots that seem slightly swollen that last several days. The Vitera irritates just the bridge of my nose. The F30i leaves red painful streaks from the edges of my nostrils to the sides of my mouth. I doubt it's a reaction to the silicone because I don't get a reaction everywhere the cushions touch my face. It seems to be related to pressure at the contact points mentioned although I adjust the masks just tight enough to avoid leaks. I tried REMZZZs mask liners supplied by the DME with the Vitera. They eliminated farting noises but not the irritation at the bridge of my nose. I'm sure there are others who experience this problem and would appreciate any advice on how to avoid/minimize it and treatments to aid recovery.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Skin Irritation from Masks
I wish I had a solution for this problem, as well. I'm currently using RespLab mask liners, which significantly reduce the skin redness and irritation. But they make the mask more noisy, and more inclined to wake me up. From what I've read, the key here is in careful adjustment of the mask strap tension but, as yet, I've not found any way to have bare silicone on my face that doesn't cause irritation.

At present, I'm assuming that the mask liners are better than nothing, but I'd sure like to know whether there's a better way.

Best wishes, DS
Post Reply Post Reply
Full-face masks are terrible for the skin over my nose in most cases. I also found the F30 a problem causing soreness under my nose where it slipped and rubbed (and blocked my nostrils because I guess I'm not shaped for it) as well as rubbing at the corner of my mouth because the silicone tended to fold or crinkle a little and then rub. The F20 Airfit was just... yeah, my nose was bad. At one stage it took over two weeks to heal the pressure sore on the bridge - the skin was broken and bleeding. No full-face masks for three weeks.

In the end, what worked for me (and your miles may vary) was the F20 AirTouch instead of the F20 AirFit. The soft foam against my face meant no rubbing, no red spots, no irritation from the silicone, and best of all, much less pressure on my nose because it sealed far better. I also put a piece of a hydrocolloid dressing (something like Duoderm ultra thin or Cutiderm) cut into a T or Arrow shape, over the bridge of my nose with the longer part up between my eyes. That seems to be enough to stop the pressure, along with making sure that I leave the upper straps as loose as I can manage. If it DOES get sore, then I swap over for a few days to use a pillows mask (P10 or P30i) instead and deal with the hassle of straps and taping and whatnot to allow the skin to rest and heal up before it gets really sore. That said, touch wood, I've been good now for several months.
Post Reply Post Reply
Supplier #31 pad a cheek has manufactured versions of mask liners you can look up. Or you might try hacking away at an old t-shirt with scissors or something like that.

Also, there's a product called Remzzzs that has their take on mask padding.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, and I forgot about gecko pads. They're a mineral oil-infused gel pad that sits over the bridge of your nose, designed by Resmed to help reduce pressure and with the seal at the bridge of the nose. I tried them, I wasn't a massive fan, but the sleep clinic loves them.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2022, 02:03 PM)Ratchick Wrote: In the end, what worked for me (and your miles may vary) was the F20 AirTouch instead of the F20 AirFit. The soft foam against my face meant no rubbing,[...]

I like the look of that F20 AirTouch but, from the suppliers I looked at, the cushion alone costs £60. The manufacturer claims a service life of 1-3 months for the cushion. It looks like a pricey approach, but I'll pay whatever it takes not to have cheeks like a guy who drinks a bottle of rum a day.

So far (touch wood) I haven't gotten pressure sores, so I'm thankful for that much at least.

Best wishes, DS
Post Reply Post Reply
has anyone tried using Vaseline on the P10 nasal pillows 

don't know if it is a good or bad idea.. but it certainly would help with irritations, and maybe could help with leakage?
Resmed Airsense 11/Resmed N20 memory foam mask,cervical collar, MyAir software, OSCAR for data analysis
Post Reply Post Reply
Do not use petroleum jelly on the mask. It is extremely irritating to skin, will cause break-outs and compromises the seal. The only product i have heard about that helps with skin irritation is Lanisoh applied sparingly.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you want to try them, DS, go to the official Resmed UK site. I have never found them cheaper than there and they are far less than £60 each.

A single cushion, which is the most expensive way to get them, is £36. If you already have the headgear from an F20, that's all you need to get.

They also sell them in packs of 3 for £84 with free wipes and 9 for £216 plus even more free wipes. I can easily get 5 weeks and often 6+ weeks out of one insert and I use my machine and mask a LOT (like 14-15hrs a day). Because you can claim VAT relief (because you have sleep apnea) you don't have to add more on top for that. And if you join their free "members" program you can get a fixed 5% off the prices and every few months or so, they will do a sale of up to 30% or something... so I wait for that, and then buy a pack of 9 at once.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. I have done exactly as you suggested Smile And, yes, all these things do seem to be cheaper directly from ResMed than from other suppliers, which surprised me a little.

Best wishes, DS
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 98 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 344 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 219 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 408 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 463 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg
  Other masks to try? acordeon 5 495 01-01-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 492 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.