Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Skin irritation from mask seal: solved
Thumbsup 
Skin irritation from mask seal: solved
I'm posting this as a new thread because my search terms didn't find the issue here.
I have been using a nasal pillow with no real problems, but wanted to try a full face mask as an alternative. I got a Quattro FX, which was surprisingly comfortable, but after the second night I had to stop using it because of a nasty skin reaction where the silicone seal rested on my face: a red ring of inflammation around my nose and mouth that lasted most of the day. It wasn't from too much pressure, but seemed chemical in nature, similar to what I get from certain bandage adhesives.
After a bit of searching on CPAP discussion boards, I found a post saying that mask seals should always be washed before using them the first time; a reply suggested soaking new silicone seals in a hot solution of baking soda. So I followed their recipe and boiled 4 cups water, added 2-3 teaspoons baking soda, gave it a stir, dropped in the seal, knocked out any air bubbles, let it soak until the solution came to room temperature, then rinsed it well. I didn't use soap. The original crystal clear transparent silicon rubber became milky translucent after the treatment, but it was just as pliable and gave no more irritation! For the daily washing of my mask seal I don't use soap, but just warm water and rub it with my fingers until it squeeks.
Given all that, however, I ended up using a mask liner (RemZzzz) because I don't like the sweaty feeling that develops during the night under the full face seal.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New User - Mask Seal Error WJ5596 6 302 02-12-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: WJ5596
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 456 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg
  Nose/Nosering Irritation Braven05 8 597 12-18-2023, 08:13 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  My suggestion for help with nasal pillow irritation rebean 3 646 12-06-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  F/P Vitera Mask seal problem bryank1 8 965 10-31-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  Nose irritation with nasal pillows (p10) Jobaaayyy 10 964 10-24-2023, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Jobaaayyy
  Skin treatment for mouth taping? GaspForAir 2 1,225 09-25-2023, 06:42 PM
Last Post: edfreeman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.