Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Skip CPAP for UPPP?
RE: Skip CPAP for UPPP?
(05-19-2019, 11:05 AM)Bedsheet Wrote:   I used the APAP machine for the first time last night and while it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be, it was still uncomfortable because I am a side sleeper and I woke up several times to the hissing sound of air leaking from the side of the mask.

CPAP users frequently have to try a number of different masks before finding one that works for them. That would probably be a good idea for you before jumping into surgery which may have only about a 25% chance of giving you a 50% reduction in your apena after a year, but leave you with many possible side effects.

For me, the original Dreamware nasal cushion mask works best for me. I sleep on my sides and my back and I get fewer leaks with this mask than other, though I have pretty low pressure settings. But mask fit is very individual, so you may find a different mask works best for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are under no obligation to accept any medical treatment at all. But you should be aware that now that you have been diagnosed with sleep apnea, if you are in a car crash, your untreated apnea could become part of a criminal act or civil lawsuit. I have nothing to say on the surgery other than we seem to have a lot of people who had that surgery end up coming here for cpap advice after the fact.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think there is selection bias in the negative stories you’ve heard.  Similar to bad yelp reviews, someone who has a bad experience is more likely to rush out and tell the world about it.  

Has anyone here BS’d their way into surgery, regardless of how they feel about the outcome?

There is zero chance I will wear this mask for more than absolutely necessary to get what I want:  permanent cure of snoring.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2019, 09:35 PM)Bedsheet Wrote: I think there is selection bias in the negative stories you’ve heard.  Similar to bad yelp reviews, someone who has a bad experience is more likely to rush out and tell the world about it.  

Has anyone here BS’d their way into surgery, regardless of how they feel about the outcome?

There is zero chance I will wear this mask for more than absolutely necessary to get what I want:  permanent cure of snoring.

It's always going to be your own decision.  Just be sure to make an educated choice.  Research the pros and cons of UPPP and talk with the surgeon about what's considered a "success".  Your definition seems to be a snoring cure, the medical definition might be something different.

There are oral devices, similar to a mouthguard, that hold your jaw in a specific position to help keep your airway open while you sleep, that might be an option.  Another home-made remedy is to sew a tennis ball into the back of a t-shirt so you can't sleep on your back, that can sometimes help.

But as for OSA, CPAP is considered the standard.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2019, 09:35 PM)Bedsheet Wrote: I think there is selection bias in the negative stories you’ve heard.  Similar to bad yelp reviews, someone who has a bad experience is more likely to rush out and tell the world about it.  

You seem impatient for a magic cure that doesn't exist.

If you read the other thoughtful responses to your post you'll find that most likely surgery won't do what you want and may leave you with permanent side effects and still leave you needing CPAP.

The statsics about the failure rate of surgery stand, and, it seems, even doctors are telling you don't medically qualify for surgery.

Keep in mind that one of the reasons this forum exists is because it can take a while to find a mask and machine settings that work for you, certainly more than a single night.
Post Reply Post Reply
I went to my sleep ent doc and told her i want to have uppp, she wrote me a document and i went to the clinic that does it.
Post Reply Post Reply
"There is zero chance I will wear this mask for more than absolutely necessary to get what I want: permanent cure of snoring."

good luck with that. if there was such a thing (other than death), it'd be big news and gobs of money for those responsible for it. in fact, people make all kinds of money from all manner of 'snoring cures'. if you find one that works, please let us know - I for one would probably jump on it. in any event, c'mon back in a year or two and let us know how you make out! I'm a skeptic but in truth I hope you prove we naysayers wrong.

btw, even if it was possible to cure snoring, there's no guarantee it would cure apnea as well.
Post Reply Post Reply

As a young person you likely have limited experience dealing with health insurance companies. Surgery is outrageously expensive and insurance companies protect their bottom line. Your insurance will require that your doctor check off many boxes before preauthorizing surgery, BSing your way into surgery isn't realistic.
Do you know if you are a candidate for UPPP? Whether or not a doctor would consider recommending UPPP for you is dependent on your anatomy, failing CPAP alone will not qualify you for surgery.

My 17 year old son has sleep apnea, like you he is not overweight.  It wasn't easy for my son to come to terms with the concept of having to sleep with a machine. Adjusting to CPAP is difficult for most, but I think it is understandable much more difficult to come to terms with if you are young. While it did take my son some time to adjust to CPAP, it eventually grew on him and now he would never consider sleeping without his CPAP.  

The silver lining in getting a sleep apnea diagnosis at a young age is that you have the opportunity to prevent the many long term health problems associated with sleep apnea. For the sake of your long term help I hope you give CPAP an honest try.
Post Reply Post Reply
If the thumbnail represents who you identify with I think you need to remember who was eventually culled.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tonsillectomy and UPPP surgery Jen0628jen 3 559 11-02-2023, 09:21 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  UPPP Surgery worsening daytime breathing, very frustrated yanix 0 956 08-30-2022, 02:50 AM
Last Post: yanix
  UPPP surgery? [Update] Doozer 7 1,314 09-02-2020, 07:36 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Uppp surgery & turbinate reduction cherrow42 18 1,991 12-15-2019, 09:44 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  UPPP, Septoplasty & Turbinate Reduction meguys123 19 8,263 03-17-2017, 10:19 PM
Last Post: scotty
Surprised Do you ever skip a night with the machine? kally 22 5,523 09-30-2015, 12:31 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
  Tonsillectomy and UPPP and Coblation for base of Tongue sleep_apnea 28 6,883 08-29-2015, 03:45 PM
Last Post: DocWils

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.