Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep Apnea Linked To Worsening Diabetic Eye Disease
Wink 
Sleep Apnea Linked To Worsening Diabetic Eye Disease
I thought I would share this little bit of info in the hopes that some people who don't necessarily want to pursue treatment for their sleep apnea get pushed in the direction of seeking help.

So, I went in to see my eye doctor about an eye-issue and was shocked, yet again, as to how far and wide the net is cast as to health issues related to sleep apnea.  I got my eyes dilated and the doctor looked at both my retinas.  Everything was good, but then I was absolutely shocked to hear what she said next.  She said "I'm seeing a little bit of a nerve cluster in there. Do you have sleep apnea?"  Wow!  Really?  She's good!  How did she know?

Other than a few slight abnormalities likely from birth, everything looked good for a 60-year-old.  So then I did some searches online for sleep apnea problems specifically concerning the retina and/or eyes.  It looks like there is a link more so with sleep apnea worsening diabetic eye disease.  Well, I don't have diabetes, but my doctor sure spotted the results of not getting my sleep apnea treated for years.  I have only been on my ASV machine for about 15 months as of this post.  So a lot of time was spent untreated, and enough of a problem cropped up for the doctor to see it in my retinal exam.

Most people rely heavily on good vision.  So here's another good reason to get diagnosed and treated if you suspect you have some form of sleep apnea.  Or better yet, encourage a loved-one to do the same.

In the mean time, do some Google searches on the topic.  Very interesting reading.

Cheers and happy holidays all.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep Apnea Linked To Worsening Diabetic Eye Disease
Good example and warning to others. Happy holidays RayBee!
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep Apnea Linked To Worsening Diabetic Eye Disease
RayBee thanks for this info.

I was diagnosed last year with diabetic retinopathy with macular edema.  Was told it was due to my diabetes, but I wasn't aware that sleep apnea could be a contributing factor.

Long story, but in the past couple of years, I've had 4 major vitrectomy eye surgeries in both eyes where the doctor did various things, about 8 laser eye surgeries and I still have regular monthly eyeball injections with a drug to control macular swelling.  Today, I'm pretty blind in my left eye (worse than 20/200 vision).  Right eye is now pretty good (usable at least).

Wasn't aware that sleep apnea might have some contributing cause to these problems.  I do know that my eye condition is progressive, meaning it gets worse over time.  I'll have to look more info sleep apnea and it's relationship to these issues.  Please post any additional info you find.

Interesting.   Thinking-about
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Worsening OSA After Bariatric Surgery Ibrumley 3 42 19 minutes ago
Last Post: Ibrumley
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 242 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 353 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 615 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 292 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 127 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.