Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep Apnea No Treatment for Child
RE: Sleep Apnea No Treatment for Child
My 10yo just had his tonsils and adenoids out 2wks ago. He had a sleep study on my request as both my father and I have apnea and I had noticed my son was showing day time behaviour that was consistent with sleep issues. The sleep study and ent used another scale, not AHI, in determining his sleep issues. Whilst he was rigged with the equip like an adult the output was more akin to disturbed sleep or something.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep Apnea No Treatment for Child
(09-15-2016, 09:57 AM)keela1979 Wrote: Good morning. My son recently was referred for a sleep study by his ENT. He is 5 years old. Results came back as follows:
Apne/Hypoapnea Index: 3.7
REM Index: 13.7
Cent Apnea: 17
Obst Apnea: 0
Mixed Apnea: 1
Hypoapnea: 10
Avg 02 Sat Baseline: 98.3-100%
Lowest 02 Sta 87%

The MD has stated he does not require treatment. Is this normal/ok for him to experience apnea, w/o being treated?
Thanks

One thing to remember is that there is more than just the numbers. He had 17 central apenas over the course of his night's sleep. Each of these is a pause in breathing. A good doctor will evaluate the waveforms, not just the number of events. Did he stop breathing for 10 seconds, or for 120 seconds? The effect on his body will be different.

This article suggests AHI of 3 is OK, 5 is bad, and 3 to 5 is the gray zone that needs further study.

I wouldn't panic, but follow up properly.

Central apena isn't necessarily worse than obstructive, but it's harder to understand and fix. I don't know if CA is more common in children and if it tends to get better or worse as they grow.

BTW, "normal" CPAP can make CA worse, so don't try something like getting a CPAP machine and setting it up yourself. There are machines for CA treatment for adults.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 113 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 13 277 03-12-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 5 192 03-12-2024, 03:56 PM
Last Post: RoughriderTR
  New to CPAP - Could Use Some Help For Treatment chrotteg 8 224 03-10-2024, 05:51 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 6 453 03-10-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,818 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 0 177 03-04-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bsroberts

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.