Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep Apnea No Treatment for Child
RE: Sleep Apnea No Treatment for Child
Thank you all for the help. We will meet with PCP tomorrow and ENT next Friday. I will update then. Thanks again
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know where you live or your insurance/financial situation but there a numerous outstanding children hospitals in the USA.

If it was my son I would move heaven and earth to get him to one of these children's hospitals.

I have a son who was born with a hearing impairment and we went to numerous ENT's with differing opinions on treatment before we discovered the children's hospital. They are truly better equipped to diagnose children than family doctors ENT and GP's.

You may also want to read the book

Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Ferber
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
We are going to the childrens hospital where I live, and seeing a Pediatric ENT. He is the same MD who did his T&A. He also did his sleep study at the sleep lab located at the Childrens Hospital.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi keela1979,

Welcome to the Apnea Board. The first Sleep Doctor that I went to see said that he got into the field after finding that a number of children suffered from both sleep apnea and HDAD. This particular Doc "specialized" in Obstructive Apnea and couldn’t help me because I had Central Apnea. In looking at your sons numbers I don't see any Obstructive events. What I do see are Central Apneas and Hypopneas. It will take some investigation to determine whether the Hypopneas are Central or Obstructive in nature. I would want to get a good look at the Hypopneas to see if they resemble periodic breathing. In addition I would want to see if your son shows signs of Periodic Breathing that doesn't get scored as Hypopneas. Central Apnea, Central Hypopnea and Periodic Breathing are related and are rare when not associated with Obstructive Apnea. Periodic Breathing and Hypopneas can contribute to O2 desaturations and disrupted sleep. When you are looking for a qualified Sleep Doctor you need to be sure that the Doctor is familiar with Central Apnea. I would continue to follow up on your sons care because the AHI number might not be telling the whole story. The way he feels and acts can also be good clues . Stay in touch.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-19-2016, 01:41 PM)keela1979 Wrote: We are going to the childrens hospital where I live, and seeing a Pediatric ENT. He is the same MD who did his T&A. He also did his sleep study at the sleep lab located at the Childrens Hospital.
Thanks

Good to hear. May the Good Lord be with you and you son

2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you! I am praying also!Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Update:
We visited with his PCP. Lab work was drawn to make sure everything is normal. We also followed up with ENT. He can't do anything b/c his apenic events are central. We have an appointment at the sleep clinic in 2 weeks. Hopefully we can get some answers then. Thanks to everyone for your responses!
Post Reply Post Reply
Keela as a member you have access to the Members Only private files. Did you by any chance read the Evaluating Your Child for Sleep Apnea article? http://www.apneaboard.com/file_links121/...0Apnea.pdf
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just read it. Thank you. The major problem we have run into is that, all, except 1, of his episodes are central. The above article is discussing OSA. His ENT MD says he can't treat it. Hopefully we will get some answers at his upcoming appointment. The good thing is the sleep clinic he is visiting, has a pulmonologist and neurologist on staff. Thanks again!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Pediatric apnea is a tough subject and few of us have any familiarity with the issues. In adults, we treat CA with adaptive servo ventilation, and I can't even comment on the use of that approach for children. Wish you and your son the best of luck and good health. Hopefully this will pass, or a good solution will be found.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 57 03-27-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 246 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 355 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 616 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 294 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 128 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.