Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep Apnea Penalties?!
RE: Sleep Apnea Penalties?!
(10-07-2014, 12:22 AM)Galactus Wrote: BTW, here is the link to the military, and all the things that "could" make you ineligible it is quite the list too. It says a waiver is possible, and you have to remember that different branches would have different reasons for having waivers. Anyway who knows what the future will bring for him, I wish you and he all the best.

http://www.military.com/join-armed-force...tions.html

Interesting link.

This gets into a political correctness peeve of mine.

"Discrimination" is is the process of determining a difference. It has no "good" or "bad" in and of itself. For instance, it's a good thing for all of us when we discriminate between a red traffic signal and a green traffic signal.

Even when "discrimination" is used "against" someone, it's not necessarily a bad thing.

We discriminate against people with extremely poor vision when we don't allow them a driver's license. We discriminate against persons without medical licenses when we hire doctors. The military discriminates against people who can't shoot well when choosing people for a sniper job. We discriminate against children who want to get driver's licenses.

Discrimination for the wrong reasons is wrong. However, whenever you choose one person over another, or require qualifications for anything, you are discriminating between those who get chosen and those who don't.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Totally agree with you archangle, it is a matter of putting the best people in the best place to do the best job, that's common sense, not discrimination. If we get political we have to go affirmative action where people are hired less for qualification and more for other reasons (not going to get into it we all know). That seems to be reverse discrimination.

Also keep in mind it is one thing to get it while in the military where in the aftermath maybe they could shift you to do another job, rather than to sign up with it where you might even fail basic training. because remember just because you can join doesn't mean you won't wash out for any number of reasons.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is a qualifications vs. discrimination thing. You cannot be a military pilot with glasses....it is compatible with the job requirements (I know, this was something I was looking at when I was young). It is just like you cannot use a tight-fitting respirator with a full beard...most companies will make you shave or not let you work where you need the respirator (religious reasons or not for the beard).

Unless it is classified as a disability (which I don't believe sleep apnea is yet), then the persons with disabilities requirements don't come in to play either. It may suck, but there are certain jobs where you must meet certain physical requirements...military, fire fighting, police and so on.

Sure, for your son, it may be a bit of a course change...I know in my case the glasses were...but it can be for the better. In my case, I'd be either a Captain or a Major by now (if I was very lucky / good)...but because of my course change, I'm making Lt. Col. salary plus benefits, have a home, wife, kid..."American Dream" type of stuff. Instead of going further in a military career, I serve my community through volunteering.

It's great that he's willing to serve, but there are other ways to serve, not just in uniform.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
With the drawdown in today's military, they are "rejecting" folks for minor things that were waived in the past. They aren't even talking to single parents even if it is a critically needed skill. There are too many hoops to jump through to make sure the kids are taken care of when mom or dad deploy. Tattoos that show in any uniform combination (including PT shorts) are a no-no for new recruits. I know for pilots the only time the vision is enforced is for the initial flight physical when starting pilot training. I know many pilots who passed that eye test and then went and got fitted for glasses the next week. I wore glasses as a navigator, but managed to pass the eye exam every time and still got the glasses and sunglasses. For me flying transports, this was not an issue.

The military has gotten highly selective as there are a lot of folks who can't get jobs elsewhere and want to join. I have read the Army is having issues finding folks who can pass the entry PT test because of the lack of fitness of our youth.

The important thing to take away from this you have identified a medical issue and taken the steps to correct it and ensure a longer life.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting on the no-go for recruits. Could be the military folks that came here were dx'd after getting in and just stayed.

Let's try to keep this thread to a discussion about CPAP and what the OP wanted to know about and not so much about the military though. Else it will have to be moved to Off Topic or split.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 234 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 292 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 127 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 563 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.