Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep Apnea Surgery
Sleep Apnea Surgery
How common is Sleep Apnea? How successful is it?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep Apnea Surgery
Not sure I understand your question. How common is sleep apnea surgery? And how successful is sleep apnea surgery?

Which one? There is no real "sleep apnea surgery" as it depends on the person. I suppose one could consider the "UPPP" as that.

Start at the wiki article which discusses success rates and other stats.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=UPPP
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
When I have medical questions, I have found several free (may require registration) online medical references to be very helpful.

If you're not a medical jargon person, Web MD works pretty well to explain things in lay people terms.

If you are good with medical jargon, the Medscape site has a good medical reference section where you can look up a lot of different conditions, procedures, and medications. It also aggregates medical news and you can subscribe to specific topic updates if you want to.

The Merck Manual is available online as well, but again, you need to be up on the medical terminology for anatomy and physiology.

Since I'm new, I cannot post links; these should be easily findable with a web search

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
And "surgery" could also cover turbinates reduction, or balloon sinuplasty. Both are (I think) much less invasive than UPPP. So you need to decide what you are asking about!
Post Reply Post Reply
When I was looking into UPPP years ago, they said "successful" meant your apneas were cut in half. That may or may not leave you still with an OSA diagnosis, depending on how bad you are pre-surgery. Also, the 1-year results showed that half the "successful" patients actually ended up nearly where they started when their symptoms started coming back. I guess if you are really bad off, its worth looking into, but don't expect miracles.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the UPPP surgery, but learned subsequently that the success rate is only about a third. In other words, in the majority of cases (2 out of 3) it does not work.

In my case, it more or less eliminated by snoring, but most certainly did not solve OSA (in my subsequent overnight test, my AHI was 35 = severe OSA).

The other important thing to bear in mind is that many (it may be most, but I don't know the stats) people who have had the UPPP operation are unable to tolerate a CPAP machine without a humidifier.

I'm now using an CPAP auto-machine (with a humidifier) and that has transformed my life.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Worsening OSA After Bariatric Surgery Ibrumley 4 61 7 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 248 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 356 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 616 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 294 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 129 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.