Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift LT for Her - Nasal Pillows System
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 7-17
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Cat Staff, bibliophile, love Classical & Byzantine music

Sex: Female

RE: Sleep Apnea and Altzheimers
My father was the "king of de-nial" (as in DENIAL!). He absolutely would NOT use any kind of XPAP (and we tried all that were available at the time) or mask (and we tried them all).

During his recovery from open heart surgery to replace the self-damaged heart valve he was cardiac ICU and the nurse/patient ratio was 1 to 1. The nurse tried to get him to use the the XPAP, he refused. They even tied his hands down with "posey" straps...he moved his head enough to move the mask off his face.

After he returned to his apartment my sister showed him the surgery scar and reminded him of his heart surgery for his self-damaged valve. His response was "so you say" in his usual sleepy/dopey voice. ARGH!!!

He gave himself brain/heart and body damage due to untreated Sleep Apnea; and then he died in his sleep and fell face first into his dessert one night.

My sister and I both have sleep apnea and you better believe that BOTH of us use our APAPs!

Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
04-18-2015 05:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
lab rat Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
CPAP Pressure: 8-16
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: Satisfied Resmed customer since March 1996

Sex: Male

RE: Sleep Apnea and Altzheimers
(04-18-2015 05:28 PM)Evpraxia Wrote:  My father was the "king of de-nial" (as in DENIAL!). He absolutely would NOT use any kind of XPAP (and we tried all that were available at the time) or mask (and we tried them all).

During his recovery from open heart surgery to replace the self-damaged heart valve he was cardiac ICU and the nurse/patient ratio was 1 to 1. The nurse tried to get him to use the the XPAP, he refused. They even tied his hands down with "posey" straps...he moved his head enough to move the mask off his face.

After he returned to his apartment my sister showed him the surgery scar and reminded him of his heart surgery for his self-damaged valve. His response was "so you say" in his usual sleepy/dopey voice. ARGH!!!

He gave himself brain/heart and body damage due to untreated Sleep Apnea; and then he died in his sleep and fell face first into his dessert one night.

My sister and I both have sleep apnea and you better believe that BOTH of us use our APAPs!

Gosh, sorry you had such an asshat for a Dad, where he pretty much sent himself to an early grave.

My Dad was similar in many respects, a very heavy drinker who ended up with snoring problems and alcohol induced dementia. No matter how much anybody told him alcohol did not mix with the medications he was on, he refused to listen and always forgot how much he'd had to drink. His cause of death was pneumonia and acute alcohol poisoning. When they cut him open for the autopsy they say his body reeked of alcohol. Rolleyes

Now had we dared suggest he may have sleep apnea he would have denied it, just as he denied he ever forgot anything (in fact he'd tell us we were liars)
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2015 07:07 AM by lab rat.)
04-19-2015 07:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Angry [News] DANGER OF UNDIAGNOSED SLEEP APNEA srlevine1 7 544 11-21-2016 03:26 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Central Sleep Apnea? wayne99 8 763 11-20-2016 06:39 AM
Last Post: wayne99
  Sleep Apnea Alphabet Soup ladytimes 2 213 11-13-2016 02:16 PM
Last Post: ladytimes
  [News] Vitamin D - possible help for sleep apnea patients? ApneaNews 46 14,028 10-28-2016 05:01 PM
Last Post: scotty
  Sleep Apnea Surgery zeeser 5 589 10-26-2016 02:42 PM
Last Post: Kadenz
  Ordered a Auto CPAP / Was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea jakthebomb 15 813 10-18-2016 08:00 AM
Last Post: southerndoc
Sad [Diagnosis] Negative for Sleep Apnea? jakthebomb 19 1,287 10-13-2016 03:28 PM
Last Post: jakthebomb