Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep Apnea and Nose Blockage
Sleep Apnea and Nose Blockage
hi

This is my first post!

I have been diagnose with Sleep Apnea (AHI 29) and tried APAP machine with nasal pillow mask however did not feel better during 4 weeks trial. But after stopping trial of the machine, I am feeling much worse.

I have deviated nasal septum and mild sinus. Can Sleep Apnea caused by this? What about use of full mask (mouth mask)?

Another question:
How to monitor Sleep Apnea at home as I am trying side sleep position and nasal spray? How to get some information about my sleep at home?

Any advise is much appreciated

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep Apnea and Nose Blockage
Welcome to the forum SleepMelb,

So let me see if I understand you correctly, you were on a four week trial. Did you get a permanent machine or waiting for one?

Sinus and nose blockage (do you mean congestion?) will improve with continued use of Cpap.
Nasal sprays and rinses are a must and side sleeping is best.

Once you get your machine (hopefully a fully data capable APAP), check back with us and we can advise which software program to download to track your therapy.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-23-2015, 06:49 AM)SleepMelb Wrote: hi

This is my first post!

I have been diagnose with Sleep Apnea (AHI 29) and tried APAP machine with nasal pillow mask however did not feel better during 4 weeks trial. But after stopping trial of the machine, I am feeling much worse.

I have deviated nasal septum and mild sinus. Can Sleep Apnea caused by this? What about use of full mask (mouth mask)?

Another question:
How to monitor Sleep Apnea at home as I am trying side sleep position and nasal spray? How to get some information about my sleep at home?

Any advise is much appreciated

Hi SleepMelb,

No, a deviated septum does not cause sleep apnea. But it can lead to sinus congestion which can make pap therapy more difficult.

Trying a full face mask and doing nasal rinses are definitely worth a shot. However, if you don't see any improvement, you might want to consider consulting with an ENT to see what he/she suggests regarding conservative/surgical options to improve your nasal potency that would hopefully make pap therapy easier to tolerate.

49er

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SleepMelb,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your question and much success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks OpalRose, no I did not get the machine yet. I am trying to understand first bit more before buying a machine.

Thanks 49er; Yes, my GP has given me recommendation letter to see a ENT.

Thanks trish6hundred; yes, I will.

Any suggestion on second question:

"How to monitor Sleep Apnea at home as I am trying side sleep position and nasal spray? How to get some information about my sleep at home?" I am not using APAP machine so what else I can do to monitor the sleep apnea.

I tried to use Mobile App but no success as replaying on mobile is difficult and can not download to laptop for analysis.

Can night vision camera (ip based) help me?

Any experience to monitor sleep apnea (with out APAP machine).
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep Melb,

I had forgotten I had responded to you here and just wrote a more relevant post on the other board in your thread. Take a look which includes asking for clarification on the machine you returned.

Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
SleepMelb,
There is no way to monitor your sleep apnea without using a fully data capable machine.

You stopped using the APAP machine after only a four week trial. It sometimes takes longer to adapt to therapy, narrow down the correct pressure settings, and find the right mask.

My suggestion is to get back on treatment, and download Sleepyhead software. There is no other proven treatment for sleep apnea.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hybrid Masks more comfortable than over the nose FF mask? sleepingbetterinFl 1 34 2 hours ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 12 169 Yesterday, 05:19 PM
Last Post: jake79
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 228 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Dripping Nose Lesley19 3 116 04-10-2024, 01:50 AM
Last Post: Lesley19
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 120 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Need help with RERAs in sleep apnea shedu1337 8 291 04-03-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: shedu1337
  Heart Failure with Sleep Apnea kwhenrykerr 2 201 04-02-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.