Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Sleep Apnea and Service Dogs
The VA is helping a lot of vets to get service dogs but they're being weird about it. What, the VA weird? Say it ain't so!

You can train your own, find someone to help you train, or get on a list for one. There's a lot of organizations around now for that. Some of them charge a HUGE price for them (I've seen some charge over $10K) but many that do also help you with fundraising. Personally, I'd rather train my own. It's not as difficult as it sounds.

Oh, a book for you to get is called Teamwork 1 and Teamwork 2. You can find them at the Dogwise website. The first one is to help a PWD train a dog and the second is how to train a SD. Excellent starting points.

As for the sleep apnea, if you do certain things when you stop breathing, you can train the dog to recognize them. But if you don't then there's nothing to train. Since central apnea doesn't have many signs other than the chest not rising, it would be a challenge.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
07-17-2013 07:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

(07-17-2013 07:22 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  As for the sleep apnea, if you do certain things when you stop breathing, you can train the dog to recognize them. But if you don't then there's nothing to train. Since central apnea doesn't have many signs other than the chest not rising, it would be a challenge.

Don't be too sure. Some dogs can tell when someone's about to have a seizure or if a diabetic's blood sugar is going low. It's usually assumed the dog is smelling something, but they're not sure.

I think dogs may simply be psychic. My dog can be 20 feet away, out of sight, but she can tell when I look at the bag with the doggie treats before I touch it.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
07-18-2013 12:21 AM
iSnooze Offline
Apnea Board Proofreader
Advisory Members

Machine: Respironics PR System One C-Flex+
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Micro
Humidifier: System One Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 11

Other Comments: also use a Comfort Gel Full Mask by Respironics

Sex: Female

Paula02,
I appreciated your humor. I laughed out loud when I read your post.

There might be something to training dogs to recognize certain sleep behaviors such as snoring but I think it would be tougher to train than other behaviors because it would be difficult to continually reinforce the dog's actions if you're sleeping. (hope this makes sense)

Dogs are amazing at sensing things that are wrong with their owners. I have read and seen TV broadcasts about regular dogs as pets being able to identify where cancers are in their owners, saving home owners from fires that didn't start until after the owners were up and out of the house, identifying oncoming epilepsy attacks, etc. Obviously your Mike sensed something was wrong, woke you up and then stayed close enough to you in case he needed to help you again.
07-18-2013 08:48 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Of course, sometimes they're wrong too.

Every so often, mine comes over to me, gives me this very concerned look like something horrible is about to happen, but I can't find anything wrong and nothing happens.

It's sort of like the wolf who cried "boy."

Useful links.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
07-18-2013 01:58 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset

(07-18-2013 12:21 AM)archangle Wrote:  
(07-17-2013 07:22 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  As for the sleep apnea, if you do certain things when you stop breathing, you can train the dog to recognize them. But if you don't then there's nothing to train. Since central apnea doesn't have many signs other than the chest not rising, it would be a challenge.

Don't be too sure. Some dogs can tell when someone's about to have a seizure or if a diabetic's blood sugar is going low. It's usually assumed the dog is smelling something, but they're not sure.

True. It would be interesting to find out what possible triggers there are with CSA that could be used in training. With diabetes, they train the dog with scent. Cotton balls rubbed on temples or Q-tip inside the cheek during a blood sugar drop. Seizures they aren't sure what it is. Someone else would have to be with you while you napped then train the dog to react to the situation.

Quote:I think dogs may simply be psychic. My dog can be 20 feet away, out of sight, but she can tell when I look at the bag with the doggie treats before I touch it.

I can pick up a banana and start to open it. Mike is here in a heartbeat, like he teleported from wherever he was.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
07-18-2013 02:01 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

When I see some of the TV shows about dogs that can sense things, I keep thinking that there could be some sort of mass screening. You walk by a long line of dogs, each of which is trained for a different medical condition. If the dog alerts, you're given a slip of paper with a number. At the end of the line, you turn in the slips of paper and have a list of medical conditions to check on.

You'd probably need to do the same thing with some bodily fluid samples as well.

It would be a really interesting experiment to try.

"Well, sir, Skippy says you may have bladder cancer, Goldie says you may be diabetic, Spot says you need your vitamin D checked, Maude says you're an a**hole, Fernando thinks you look marvelous."

Useful links.
07-22-2013 12:30 AM
Luvmyzzz Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Philips Wisp
Humidifier: Built In
CPAP Pressure: 9-13

Other Comments: First diagnosed with essential hypertension @ age 25 (precursor to CHF)

Sex: Female

(07-17-2013 12:34 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  Service dogs help a single individual with a disability by doing one or more trained tasks. There's a lot of different "kinds" ranging from seizure alert to guide dogs.

Therapy dogs help groups of individuals (either in groups or one at a time) either by doing a specific task or, in most cases, simply being a dog. There's dogs who "help" kids read, work with hospice, and even several dogs who are allowed in courtrooms to help keep a witness calm.

Service dogs are not registered nor certified. There does not exist a national registration or certification for them. As of a few years ago, only dogs (except for some grandfathered-in guide ponies) can be service animals.

Therapy dogs/animals must be registered/certified by specific organizations before they can work in certain settings, such as hospitals and rehab centers. I would expect they need that certification before doing any public work.

Then there are "emotional support" animals. These animals help a specific individual but are not trained to do that help. They are not granted public access like service dogs but are allowed under the Fair Housing Act.

And yes, it was a small closet. It barely had room for the jacuzzi.

PaulaO2, I'm slow @ getting to read the off-topic board, but your humor is a breath of fresh air! I honestly feel that if you can't laugh just for gits-and-shins
to help you through the day, misery is too close !!! Even though my response is out of sync I still love your ablity to keep the humor going KUDOS to you and I give a big ((((((((((((((((therapy dog)))))))))))))))) hugs to your companion for life Okay

I enjoy being with a group who like to share their "Hosehead" experiences, to remind me I am not alone.
05-10-2016 08:51 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset

Sorry! How did I miss your post from May? Sheesh.

I am about to get a puppy! And she will be trained to be my Service Dog. Mike washed out. Not that he was bad at his job, but he was far too smart. And he smiles. He kept freaking people out thinking this snarling beast was coming after them. I tried to put it on a cue (make it a trick I could control) but it didn't work.

And I am glad I make you laugh!

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

11-07-2016 07:18 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Wink Apnea is not the only reason I can't sleep! JohnNJ 21 2,145 10-23-2016 10:21 AM
Last Post: AlanE
Grin Sleep apnea funnies GPSMapNut 200 16,071 07-27-2016 12:29 PM
Last Post: ger365
  Justice Scalia Had Sleep Apnea surferdude2 11 1,222 04-04-2016 04:45 PM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  Mind If I Complain About Poor Customer Service? Schnauzers 5 15 3,188 05-17-2015 11:49 AM
Last Post: justMongo
  Public Service Announcement PaulaO2 8 2,216 10-29-2013 10:33 AM
Last Post: Bompa
  Proof that Cats are better than Dogs!!!!! cbramsey 13 4,102 01-04-2013 07:44 PM
Last Post: Shastzi