Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

med. necessity form--what it means
med. necessity form--what it means
When a sleep doc writes a prescription for a machine for a patient, he/she also needs to fill out/sign a medical necessity form for insurance purposes, and that is the usual procedure. I just learned this from my DME's billing department.
The doc's script will allow the DME to give you a machine, mask, etc., but that separate med. necessity form is what is needed for the DME to file for the pt.'s insurance coverage. If the med. necessity form is not signed and returned to the DME, the DME must bill the pt. for the full cost of the machine, etc.
This came to my attention when I discovered that the sleep center failed to get a signed med. necessity form over to my DME. It should have happened nine months ago when I got my machine, but has yet to be accomplished. Meanwhile, my DME account shows that I'm paid up. Because of that, my DME has not been issuing me any monthly bills. Knowing there are no free lunches, I called the DME to ask about my acct. and how it's showing that I owe nothing.
My DME's billing dept. rep. told me that they're now going after that med. necessity form that they need to file with medicare. When they receive it now, what will I owe--20% of the full cost of my machine's total price? The DME doesn't know; it depends on how Medicare decides to bill--either the full 20% will be due, or they could start the 13 month rent-to-own pay procedure now even though it would be later than the usual time period.
The good news, according to my DME, is that it is quite unusual for the sleep center and doc to not submit the med. necessity form at the time the doc writes the script for a pt's new machine. So, hopefully, others will not face this situation.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mask pressure wave form with obstructive events jaredihnen 6 437 12-07-2023, 04:10 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Does Medicare Require An Annual Recertification of Medical Necessity? AndyB 10 915 11-17-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: AndyB
Information [Mod Note] Do you want us to know when you die? [Apnea Board Postmortem Form] SuperSleeper 15 5,518 08-07-2023, 06:30 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  This form of pattern, what is it? sleep2023 2 692 07-27-2023, 12:53 PM
Last Post: Millstone50
  Trying to learn what OSCAR data means and I need help understanding my flow limits emmylouwho 13 1,615 04-21-2023, 09:49 AM
Last Post: emmylouwho
Question The form associated with sleep apena testing dlnewhouse 1 440 08-31-2022, 01:04 PM
Last Post: Jeff8356
Question Dreamstation: Should I still fill out the recall form? Wrz77 15 1,788 02-25-2022, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Wrz77

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.