Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] PERFECT SCORE
RE: PERFECT SCORE
(09-04-2012, 11:53 AM)Sleepster Wrote:
(09-04-2012, 05:47 AM)weeble Wrote: Good thinking batman, just checked and nope, the chin strap is not stopping the leaking -

There's supposed to be some leak. We call it the intentional leak. It depends on the mask and the pressure but it's on the order of 30 L/min.

Anything greater than that is the unintentional leak rate. The unintentional leak rate should not be greater than about 35 L/min for your machine.

If your leak rate is still too high even with the chinstrap then that indicates you have a mask leak.

If your leak rate is not too high and you notice no significant decrease in leak rate at any time when you wear your chinstrap that's an indication that you don't need the chinstrap.

Unlike Resproncis which report total leak (intentional leak plus unintentional leak) ResMed S9 subtract the intentional and report only unintentional leak (mask leak plus mouth leak and other leaks). ResMed define large leak above 24 L/min (ResScan leak graph red line).
The chinstrap can minimize mouth leak and going to take some time and practice to work ...just like bicycle training wheels. It does help to practice keeping mouth closed and breathing through the nose during the day so it become second nature to do so while asleep.

Post Reply Post Reply
I ALWAYS check for any changes through the night in leak rate... although a steady graph of leak rate can still mean you are leaking more than the mask's residual leak rate but steadily... it is far more likely that a leak will produce a waver in that steady leak rate line on the graph.

Leakage is probably the single largest issue that we have to deal with regardless of what mask we are using.... and having said that I would also say that the masks with the highest to lowest leak rates are: nasal pillows (highest); nosebags; full face masks. I ultimately went to the Quattro full face mask to cure my leakage problems and even the Quattro is not perfect, especially if you smoosh your face into the pillow and it moves around. You have to keep the mask and your face absolutely cleans of oils before retiring for the night. A biggie.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Educate, Advocate, Contemplate.
Herein lies personal opinion, no professional advice, which ALL are well advised to seek.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-04-2012, 02:29 PM)zonk Wrote: Unlike Resproncis which report total leak (intentional leak plus unintentional leak) ResMed S9 subtract the intentional and report only unintentional leak (mask leak plus mouth leak and other leaks). ResMed define large leak above 24 L/min (ResScan leak graph red line).

That's true, and it's one of the truly brain damaged features of ResMed design. It doesn't even show the true leak rate on the data recorded on the SD card. It estimates the unintentional leak rate and subtracts it out before it records the data. You can't, for instance, see if you're blocking the vent holes, or if they're clogged. You can't see small variations in leaks like small mouth leaks if your mask leak rate is less than what the machine thinks it is. If you enter in the wrong type of mask, and your mask's intentional leak rate is less than what the machine thinks it is, you will miss a lot of leak data.

It's OK to display unintentional leak. It's crazy not to record total leak.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed machines sometimes get stuck on zero. Unplug the power (not turn off, unplug) for a minute or so to reboot the machine so you're sure you're really getting zero.

You might really be getting zero, S9 AutoSet machines are pretty good about adjusting upwards before you have an apnea.

You need to list your machine model in your profile. It should say "Escape, Escape Auto, Elite, or AutoSet" next to the power button.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-04-2012, 03:53 PM)archangle Wrote: ResMed machines sometimes get stuck on zero. Unplug the power (not turn off, unplug) for a minute or so to reboot the machine so you're sure you're really getting zero.

You might really be getting zero, S9 AutoSet machines are pretty good about adjusting upwards before you have an apnea.

You need to list your machine model in your profile. It should say "Escape, Escape Auto, Elite, or AutoSet" next to the power button.

Odd, coz I originally had the model version next to s9 - its the elite so will change it back!

Zonk:- on ResScan the leaks are all under the red line - fairly stable except for a couple of spikes, but on the sleepyhead software, it's all pretty normal.

Since getting a mask that is the correct size I have noticed that (actually within the first week actually) my eyes are no longer black, so I am getting a good quality of sleep - they used to be shocking, massive black baggy eyes that hardly stayed open. Now they are open wide - with no blackness - yay
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats, Weeble. You dang show off.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-04-2012, 07:10 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Congrats, Weeble. You dang show off.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-04-2012, 06:36 PM)weeble Wrote: - they used to be shocking, massive black baggy eyes that hardly stayed open. Now they are open wide - with no blackness - yay

Wow! You're in great shape. Except it would have been nice if you could have stayed that way until Halloween. Dielaughing
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-04-2012, 08:37 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(09-04-2012, 06:36 PM)weeble Wrote: - they used to be shocking, massive black baggy eyes that hardly stayed open. Now they are open wide - with no blackness - yay

Wow! You're in great shape. Except it would have been nice if you could have stayed that way until Halloween. Dielaughing

Laugh-a-lot very funny! Perhaps I should go back to my old bigger mask until Halloween!!!! Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi weeble,Naw,! Just get some cheap makeup for halloween, (if there is such a thing, Ha-Ha,) that way, you can wash it off when you are done, (Ha-Ha.) It's not worth getting your eyes irritated again by wearing a bigger mask. CONTINUED SUCCESS.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  'Near-perfect' flowrate graphs CPAPnerd 7 414 02-11-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Lövenstein prisma 25 ST low AHI score aergun 1 292 01-11-2024, 03:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Sudden Increase in AHI Score mawaw1992 13 2,145 12-11-2023, 04:59 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  What is your Mallampati Score? Are your tongue and palate causing your apnea? selfhelpdevice 0 301 12-10-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: selfhelpdevice
  [Equipment] OSCAR Question: AHI Score from Wellue ring not showing phoenixsaga 10 1,138 09-12-2023, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Looking for flaws in my perfect scores arkona12 4 512 08-03-2023, 08:54 AM
Last Post: arkona12
  [How to] How to achieve the perfect mask fit - GUARANTEED! SuperSleeper 50 50,664 05-27-2023, 10:35 AM
Last Post: RickEiben

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.