Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep Apnea sufferers allowed to use OTC pain killers?
Sleep Apnea sufferers allowed to use OTC pain killers?
Been suffering from crazy migraine and really want to take some paracetamol or ibuprofen although worried it may affect my Sleep Apnea. (Etc make it worse)

Thoughts?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep Apnea sufferers allowed to use OTC pain killers?
Aspirin, ibuprofen nor acetomenophin (sp?) do not make apnea worse. Go for it. I get migraines as well, so you have my sympathy. Benedryl CAN make it worse.

It's a nonproblem if you have an automachine setting, but if you have straight pressure, I would check with your doc before taking a med that has a side effect of making you sleepy. It may require an increase of your straight pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Jupiter23! Welcome

In my case I find I get lower AHI numbers with a pain reliever. I had a very active youth and now my body is reminding me of this. Pain prevents me from getting a restful sleep. It seems to prevent or interferes with obtaining a deep sleep. I'm sure that taking more pain medication than you need could go the other way and start to suppress your breathing. If you have been taking a drug to treat this condition without side effects, then I'd try it when you need it. As I see it, the worst that can happen is your AHI may increase a little.

IMHO - Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Jupiter23,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks guys, only issue is my apnea is untreated. I don't have a CPAP machine. Although it should still be fine right? Cheers guys for the quick and friendly responss
Post Reply Post Reply
Any sedative will make obstructive apnea worse.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OTC pain medication will be fine. Something like Benedryl or cold medication, which would make you sleepy, may cause it harder for your brain to wake you up. Just use extra pillows or a wedge pillow.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
See the Doctor and get a machine, you may find that it will help a lot. you do not have to like it to love what it can do for you. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 226 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 349 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 609 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 287 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 124 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 551 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.