Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep - Arthritis pain
I suspect that I'm not the only one who has arthritis in the neck and back that hinders the ability to get comfortable and have a good night's sleep.  What does anyone else do when you have 'one of those nights'?  My GP gave me a limited amount of pain pills and I definitely don't want to become addicted to them.  I just want to be comfortable enough so I can sleep well.

Also can anyone tell me why the weather seems to make arthritis worse?
Post Reply Post Reply
GrammaBear,
I just had a Cat Scan done and xrays due to hip pain that wakes me out of a sound sleep.

Results not showing a whole lot, just mild arthritis.  Ha!, mild enough to wake me.

I was told to just take tylanol max, but it doesn't do a thing for pain.  So I try Aleve, but it only lasts a few hours.  I'm hesitant to take any perscription pain meds.

Sorry, I don't have answers to help you, just wanted to share. Dont-know

It really stinks when you have your apnea under control and can sleep all night, but other
issues unrelated to SA disrupt sleep.   Sad
OpalRose
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

How to Organize and Post ScreenShots

http://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Curious, did the pain pills prescribed work for you? If so, I would recommend that you continue them, losing sleep is never a good solution. I know that narcotic pain medications are getting a lot of bad press these days most of which is pure BS IMO. Taking a pain pill at night will not get you addicted, maybe dependant but that is a very different condition. Even being "dependent" is not all that likely if you are only taking them as PRN or only at night.

Pain pills get the bad rap, but OTC medications are actually worse in many ways than mild narcotics. Tylenol (acetaminophen) is bad news for your liver and can be easily overdone (and fatal) if mixing with other OTC medications that contain acetaminophen as an ingredient. NSAIDs (like ibuprofen, naproxen, Celebrex, and several others) all have FDA "black box" warnings due to their dangerous side effects including heart attacks, strokes, or GI troubles (severe, uncontrolled, bleeding). Literally, thousands of people die each year due to NSAID caused problems. You really should never take NSAIDs long term. However, Celebrex is very effective for all kinds of pain and may be worth trying. At least it is supposed to be less dangerous than other NSAIDs, but it is related to VIOXX and we all know how that went (an estimated 60,000 people died).

Bottomline for those of us that have chronic pain issues, you have to pick the poison that works best for you and is least likely to do more harm than good. They all have advantages and disadvantages. But do not think for a minute that pain pills are the worst of the worst when in fact the opposite is more likely the truth (politically incorrect statement, I know, but true).

For me, I am lucky that I do not have pain at night, but do have it from wake-up to bedtime. To help limit the bad side effects of all the different types of pain medications, I try to mix it up by switching between the different types from day to day.

BTW - - If you do try pain pills, watchout since many contain 325mg of acetaminophen. Nothing really wrong with that except you have to remember to add that amount into your daily use of acetaminophen OTC products. I prefer to not take pain pills with acetaminophen for that reason. It limits your options for other medical issues (fever, every day pain, etc.)
Post Reply Post Reply

If you are getting pain like that, particularly evening/night pain and not in the day time, and the regular medical crew is not making sense of it, see a neurologist.  It is quite possible that it is referral pain from something further up in the spine.  After being diagnosed with "mild facet joint arthritis" and being told that "pain is a subjective things, some people suffer more than others", my GP got me into a neurologist.  Turns out I had a benign tumour on my spinal cord.  With that removed, the pain vanished.  My mother was getting prepped to do a hip transplant for hip pain.  The doctor thought things seemed a bit odd so sent her to a clinic that injected her hip with anaesthetic.  The pain was not relieved.  It was due to some nerve impingement further up her spine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had chronic pain for ten years, pain in the 8.5 to 9.5 range nearly constantly. Fortunately, that has been resolved with massage therapy.

I would never do the pain meds again except for possibly if needed for a very limited number of days following surgery -- i.e., no more than a day or two at most.

Over the ten years, I found that, over time, the pain meds required more to get the same level of relief, yet I was still constantly in pain for the entire ten years!

Now, I wake with back pain around midnight. Typically two or three Advil work well for me for that to hold me over until morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
Those of us with an inflammatory arthritis (and even osteoarthritis has some inflammation), might try some of the anti-inflammatory foods and spices to see if they help over time.
Some of the ones identified are
- sour cherry
- tumeric or curcumin (and extract)
- ginger
There are more.

Please organize your SleeyHead screenshots like this.
I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply

(02-22-2017, 07:28 PM)Beej Wrote: Those of us with an inflammatory arthritis (and even osteoarthritis has some inflammation), might try some of the anti-inflammatory foods and spices to see if they help over time.
- sour cherry
- ginger
There are more.

You are correct in that all the items that you listed have been tested to provide strong anti-inflammatory benefits. (Although I believe the better known name of the cherry mentioned is "tart cherries", which are widely available in juice and pill form.) 

With the exception of tart cherry pills that I take daily (mainly for their known sleep benefit), I have not been able to tolerate either turmeric or curcumin. I have tried many brands and types with no luck. No idea why, but I have problems taking many medications both Rx & OTC. However, I agree that they are worth a try for at least a month to see if any of these help. Not much to lose........
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe try ginger beer (usually non-alcoholic)? It is supposed to help settle the stomach.

And many Indian dishes have turmeric in them, if you enjoy Indian food.

Please organize your SleeyHead screenshots like this.
I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2017, 07:28 PM)Beej Wrote: Those of us with an inflammatory arthritis (and even osteoarthritis has some inflammation), might try some of the anti-inflammatory foods and spices to see if they help over time.
- sour cherry
- ginger
There are more.

I have a long standing history with osteoarthritis and have been tested for rheumatoid arthritis also.  I recently met a gentleman online who uses tumeric in his cooking and in particular when he cooks his eggs for breakfast.  Have no idea how much he uses, but it might be worth a try for me and anyone else who desires the more 'natural' approach. 

I'm interested in trying some of the anti-inflammatory foods when you have time to explain a little about which ones are thought to be useful.
Post Reply Post Reply

- sour cherry
- ginger
There are more.

Interesting to see you mention tumeric. I just order my first bottle earlier this week after a recommendation from a friend. Have been on a prescription of 600mg naproxen twice a day to help with arthritis and hate what it's doing to my stomach and side effects like swelling in my feet. Have read a lot of good things about using tumeric for arthritis plus it has many other benefits for other conditions. My wife just asked her PA about it yesterday and she even said give it a try and like folks are saying here, why not?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ear and Jaw Pain Whitewabit 5 1,659 10-06-2014, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Whitewabit
  Best night's sleep in a month -- arthritis in hip herbm 6 1,371 05-08-2014, 08:34 AM
Last Post: Bompa